Adding weight to the putter head,hitting it just a little too far on short putts

Pblock45

Reaction score
Handicap
If somone keeps hitting too far past the hole would adding weight to the putter head help decrease this? on the putting range my buddy can sink anything but on the course he seems to hit it just a little to far on his shorter putts. If we add a little weight to the head of his 35 inch 2ball do you think this would help? I was thinking of making it a 360gram head. what some thoughts.

I would think this would be counterproductive. If he used the same stroke the putter would have more mass thus increasing distance.

yea im not sure. Im thinking it might slow his stoke down but I have no clue I hope somone has some experience

If somone keeps hitting too far past the hole would adding weight to the putter head help decrease this? on the putting range my buddy can sink anything but on the course he seems to hit it just a little to far on his shorter putts. If we add a little weight to the head of his 35 inch 2ball do you think this would help? I was thinking of making it a 360gram head. what some thoughts.
Hi. Are your misses on short putts long and left or long and right?

I would say when its a little to far it would be misses to the right. But it varies on holes hes a good putter its almost kinda like the yips on short putts

I'm a believer that the stroke size dictates the distance, no matter the insert or the weight of the putter. Different weights can be useful for settling hands and steadying the stroke, but the actual pace and distance will always be determined by the length of the stroke.

so your saying weight would be just a wast of time on controlling distance? I can see how a person could just get used to the added weight and still miss the exact same way.

I would say when its a little to far it would be misses to the right. But it varies on holes hes a good putter its almost kinda like the yips on short putts
In my experience, long and right miss, usually means the putter head is to heavy and his hands are in front of his putter head, which leaves the face slightly open. So he probably makes 15 foot putts more frequently than a 5 foot putt. On longer putts this doesn't happen because he is accelerating the putter.
I would first think about counter balancing under the grip.
What brand and model putter?

I am a big fan of counter balancing I did it to my putter. He has an odyssey 2ball protype 350g

I am a big fan of counter balancing I did it to my putter. He has an odyssey 2ball protype 350g
With concerns to the 2Ball. A lot of times the shaft is not in alignment from the factory, or the grip is not straight. If it has been re-gripped, the grip may not be on straight. I would check this first, then consider back-weighting.

I ran into this problem when I added weight to my putter, the thing feels like a brick now and i have to literally put effort into not swinging as hard as I normally do and the ball still takes off like a rocket..

I'm a believer that the stroke size dictates the distance, no matter the insert or the weight of the putter. Different weights can be useful for settling hands and steadying the stroke, but the actual pace and distance will always be determined by the length of the stroke.

1/3rd / 2/3rds

Thank you SPI!

1/3rd / 2/3rds

Thank you SPI!
How do you determine stroke size before you find the correct weight and balance of the putter?
The heel/toe weight balance determines rate of face closure at a given swing speed, and putter swing path.
Swing weight determines the swing plane and hand position at impact.

Pblock45 says he is having direction problem on short putts. So changing a weight balance can change his face angle. Then the distance speed control issue might resolve itself.
If he were hitting the cup and missing due to excessive speed then stroke size for speed control could be addressed.

How do you determine stroke size before you find the correct weight and balance of the putter?
The heel/toe weight balance determines rate of face closure at a given swing speed, and putter swing path.
Swing weight determines the swing plane and hand position at impact.

Pblock45 says he is having direction problem on short putts. So changing a weight balance can change his face angle. Then the distance speed control issue might resolve itself.
If he were hitting the cup and missing due to excessive speed then stroke size for speed control could be addressed.

I had direction problems at times, pushing putts left for me (being left handed) as I was cutting across the ball when putting. I had a lesson with a SeeMore instructor and he quickly pointed out some issues with my set-up and my putting stroke. In my set-up my shoulders weren't aligned forcing me to cut across the ball. When I was putting, I was moving my head mid-stroke. I had to practice changing both and I still work on it now -but I have seen a world of difference.

During that time, I never changed the weight of my putter, just worked on my technique.

That is one of the foundations we learn as SPi's. Technique, and fit go hand in hand. Determining when to teach and when to fit, those lines get very blurry at times.

I wonder if, on the putting green, he is thinking 'getting it to the hole'. And, when he is playing, he is thinking "make it". The mind is a crazy thing.

Back