Jumbo Max Grips Review Thread

Cookie, I've noticed a similar sound coming off this wedge at times. It's almost like I'm picking it clean and getting an all metal sound (if that makes sense). Another thing I'm seeing with my test wedge is a very high ball flight with what appears to be minimal spin because the ball just stops dead in it's tracks. I'd really like to be able to control the spin on these partial/full swing shots more. I've tried working with the club a bit and find that if I try to take a larger divot I'm either catching it fat or picking it clean. Like you the greenside play is where this grip/club combo really shines for me. The tough part is that I occasionally need to take 1/2 or a full swing with my 50* wedge, so I'm back/forth on the grip in that regard.

Thanks for sharing this, it's not just me!!!

Very interesting indeed.

Put 4 of these on my Christmas wish list; 1 for each wedge in my bag.

I want to re-grip all my wedges with these today! Feel is phenomenal on any shot - full, pitch, chip, whatever. The JumboMax grips are to wedges what Super Stroke is to a putter IMO.

This is the way I'm leaning right now as well! The size and subtle counterweighting effect is perfect for touch shots.

Links to previous reviews:

First Impressions

Range Session 1
Range Session 2
Round 1
Round 2

I woke up this morning thinking about these grips, and really thinking of what I'm going to do this weekend in the Gauntlet as far as the driver is concerned. As I mentioned in my Round 2 write-up, I struggled with the driver on the back and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

The more I think about that round, I'm really thinking it was more of a setup issue rather than an issue with the driver/grip. I had been experiencing really good results and based on the main miss I had (push leak right) - I'm really starting to wonder if I was setup open at address instead of a focused closed stance that I usually try for.

The reason I think this is because that miss existed before these grips came along for review. Anyhow, just wanted to share that quick thought. Rain has been non-stop last 2 days and is looking to finally stop at some point today. Hoping for an after work range session tomorrow before leaving for Sarasota on Friday!

Will post again tomorrow night if I can get out and then obviously much more coming after playing a ton of golf in Florida!

First Impressions

Range Session 1
Range Session 2
Round 1
Round 2

I woke up this morning thinking about these grips, and really thinking of what I'm going to do this weekend in the Gauntlet as far as the driver is concerned. As I mentioned in my Round 2 write-up, I struggled with the driver on the back and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

The more I think about that round, I'm really thinking it was more of a setup issue rather than an issue with the driver/grip. I had been experiencing really good results and based on the main miss I had (push leak right) - I'm really starting to wonder if I was setup open at address instead of a focused closed stance that I usually try for.

The reason I think this is because that miss existed before these grips came along for review. Anyhow, just wanted to share that quick thought. Rain has been non-stop last 2 days and is looking to finally stop at some point today. Hoping for an after work range session tomorrow before leaving for Sarasota on Friday!

Will post again tomorrow night if I can get out and then obviously much more coming after playing a ton of golf in Florida!

After seeing you hit the driver with this grip on last weekend, I believe you are right about the back 9. I really don't think the grip was the issue. You were hitting the driver great on the front, even if out in the toe a bit. If I were you, I would not worry about it that much. I think that maybe you might have been pressing a little, to try and get that score you were thinking of. A little time on the range while warming up and you will be good.

First Impressions

Range Session 1
Range Session 2
Round 1
Round 2

I think these grips are really good for you, and I could see you playing these through out the bag. The 7i has become a solid club for you with increased accuracy and tour results with the 54* are also solid. I hope your range session can get the driver sorted out before this weekend.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Really liking these grips, after a week of hitting 200 range balls a day. They are super comfortable in my hands. My swing coach insists they are not for me, but results say otherwise. Barring rain, I will take to the course, tomorrow, for my 2nd "in-play" evaluation.

Really liking these grips, after a week of hitting 200 range balls a day. They are super comfortable in my hands. My swing coach insists they are not for me, but results say otherwise. Barring rain, I will take to the course, tomorrow, for my 2nd "in-play" evaluation.

Very nice! As I mentioned before, I think most of us believe we have a comfortable grip now but it's really quite different when you have these as you can immediately feel your hands more relaxed than you ever thought on the grip.

When I've tried to grip tighter with driver and swing harder with this grip, nothing good happens. It really does encourage me to just be more relaxed during the swings.

Back to back days of play with these and I think that I have found the perfect home for these.

4 & 5 Altitude are the long clubs where they worked the best for me. The heavier head and shaft combo is counterbalanced by the heavy grip. Also I have been able to take a rip at it without dreading a pull. Yesterday I struggled when I didn't finish my swing and hit low fades but today I focused on making a full followthrough and hit several dead straight shots. The highlight was #17 175 yards of all carry over a lake. Stuck it right on the front of the green.

56* wedge is still shining with these on all shots. I hit sand shots, short chips, even 80 yard approaches all with good results and more importantly with confidence. Once again, these could be successfully marketed as special wedge grips.

I agree with Cookie that full swings with irons gives a different sound and feel. Not sure why but it was definitely there.

I will game these this weekend in these clubs at Sarasota and hopefully have good results to report next week.

A ray of hope? Or more confusion?

I played my last round with the JumboMax grips a week or so ago, and forgot to post my review.

Prior to the round:
My intentions were to hit the range to try to get more comfortable with the grips. Turns out, I didn't get to the course early enough, so I decided just to grab the AW and work on some chipping--especially since many of the other testers were seeing a lot of success around the green and I wasn't. After skulling my first one across the green, I did get into a little rhythm and was able to play little bump and run chips with success. It wasn't a long session, and I probably didn't hit more than 20 balls or so, but one thing I couldn't seem to figure out was how to get the ball up in the air. Chips I could play, pitches or even flops were no bueno.

1st few holes:
After some early initial success with this grip on my driver, it has gone south quickly. In my last two rounds prior to this one I've only hit 2 of 16 fairways and I wouldn't exactly call those two that found the fairway perfect tee shots either. The first hole at this course is a dogleg left par 5. Driver over the left corner is the play, but if you were to hit driver dead straight, you run through the fairway into fescue. I took my normal aim, at the left corner, and pushed it dead straight...through the fairway and into the fescue. This ball was struck well, better than any in the two prior rounds, but was right of target and ended up in trouble.

After laying up with my second from trouble, I pulled the AW from 110, a very comfortable distance. Hoping the chipping success I saw on the putting green would translate to the course, I addressed the ball and let her rip. And, of course, it was fat city. This was my miss on full swings with both the 7 iron and the AW from the very beginning. I snapped this pic simply because it shows where on the face I caught it--and that has been real consistent from the beginning.
a3y4u3a2.jpg

The second hole is a baby dogleg right with the fescue squeezing the fairway from the left. Normally I don't hit driver here with my right to left sexy ball flight, but due to testing, I gave it a shot. There was a very strong right to left wind, which is only interesting in that I sliced the ball into the adjacent right fairway. Without the wind helping to keep it in play, who knows where this ball ends up.

The third through sixth holes on this course are not driver holes at all, but on the third hole I hit a fat 7 iron from 170 that went halfway to the green; and on the fourth hole I hit a fat AW from 100 yards halfway to the hole. Trying to temper my aggravation, I dropped a second ball and swing out of my shoes from the same spot...I hit it fat again, but at least got it 3/4 of the way to the hole. On the 6th hole, I pulled 7 iron again from 170 and really concentrated on trying to take a nice on-tempo swing. I caught that one really thin and pushed it weakly off to the right of the green. Yuck.

As we drove up to the sixth tee, we caught a single on the box making our group three. Now on the 7th tee box, a par 5 with a strategically placed bunker running across the fairway, out of sheer lack of confidence in my JumboMax gripped driver, I pulled my R1 for the first time in weeks. I then proceeded to hit the furthest drive I've ever hit on this hole right down the middle of the fairway. I play in a league on this course and on good days, I will be in the bunker, or will have run through the bunker from the white tees. This tee shot carried the bunker from the blue tees.

Remaining holes:
Call it frustration, call it being reacquainted with a familiar grip, call it whatever you want, but I proceeded to find the next 4 fairways with the R1. The 15th hole is an uphill par 5 with plenty of landing area. After cleansing my mental block by smashing the R1 five times, my curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the JumboMax XGC6. I hit my typical drive miss--a relatively low hooking liner that runs through the fairway on the left. I pulled the XGC6 again on 18 and hit the same low hook through the fairway. So to recap: JumboMax XGC6 0-4 and regular gripped R1 5-5 at finding the fairway for the day. Apples to oranges comparison maybe, but the results are what they are. This also puts my fairway finding stats to 2 for 20 in my last three rounds with the JumboMax. Of all the clubs, I thought this grip would help me with the driver the most, so these are not results I was hoping for.

The only other time I hit a JumboMax was an AW from 125 to a downhill green on the 12th hole. It's a tougher shot than it sounds as it is a downhill lie as well, which I tend to struggle with. I took my swing, and felt as though I hit it well, but the ball came down well short of the green.

So my conclusion for this weeks round of testing? MORE CONFUSION.

Even after my good results on the practice green, I hit two or three bad shots, and I start finding ways to not hit these on the course. Having only three of them is definitely a struggle for me. From the beginning, I'll get in a groove either on the range, or chipping on the green, but once I grab a club with a normal grip all that mojo seems to disappear.

Links to previous thoughts:
Unboxing/Installation
First Range Session
Second Range Session
First Round
Chipping Session
Lesson

Got out to the range to hit a few balls on Wednesday with these grips, as well as with my standard grips. Now I've got a few swing changes in the works from my lesson, but overall the same things were ringing true that I've been seeing in the past.

Driver
This grip really isn't doing me any favors on this club, but I don't think it's really killing me either. I was seeing close to a straight ball to a slight fade with my well struck shots, which is somewhat better than with my original, more cramped swing. However, the changes to my swing were causing some strange misses that I've not really seen lately - I had one skyed shot, and several big pulls AND pushes. So the short story is that my swing changes aren't ingrained yet, but so far it seems that the grip isn't making a huge difference in trajectory - it's all due to the swing changes right now.

7 iron
Was hitting some really nice balls with this club, as I have been previously. Still feels just super solid through impact, as long as I close that face up slightly. That being said, the new swing is causing me to hit a straight ball to a slight draw with my well struck shots, which I am really excited about. The new swing doesn't seem to have hurt me significantly regarding these grips in this club - still responds really well when I do the right stuff. A really nice benefit was the shock absorbance, since I was hitting more stinker balls than usual due to the swing changes.

Gap Wedge
I remain a big fan of this grip on wedges. I had a problem in the last few weeks with hitting high balls without any distance, but this problem seems to be improving with the swing changes. I'm delofting the club slightly more, and also cocking my wrists much better at the top of the swing, which is leading to more distance particularly in this club - I was seeing around 90 - 95 yards compared to the pathetic 80 I've been seeing lately. Didn't hit any chips with the club this session, but as I've said previously, I've really gotten solid performance on chips with this club.

Overall, I wouldn't say my impressions have changed much - a great grip so far on short clubs, but pretty indifferent on the long ones. Hoping to get out to at least play 9 this weekend with them so I can get my second set of on course data.

So..... I pull my driver from the bag and amble onto the 1st tee. Letting the JumboMax grip sort of ease its way into my hands, I swing deliberate and easy, as if taking a practice swing. Two Hundred and forty yards later, I'm sitting left center fairway looking at a gap wedge into the green. Fortunately, my gap wedge also has the JumboMax, which is kinda nice.... like caressing a soft mistress. Almost effortlessly, I lift the ball into a high arc and drop it 2 feet from the pin. This is going to be a good day, I say to myself.

Hole #2.... 145 yards (Par 3): Not to be left out of this best day hitting the ball phenomena, my 7 iron also sports the JumboMax. Again the club settles down gently into my grasp, which hardly seems a grasp at all. With a whisper of a fade, the ball drops two paces onto the green and rolls right.... 12 feet to the pin.

What's clear.... to me, is, 1.... my wicked turn to the right is gone; 2... my swing, since adopting a new one prior to installing the Jumbomax, hasn't changed. What has changed is how I grip the club..... gently; and it seems so natural. My hands aren't so much swinging the club through the ball as they are guiding it. Gone is the hanging onto the club like I'm afraid it will slip from my grasp. I still have a slight fade. but it feels controllable.

While the JumboMax seems to be doing what it's intended to do and is presenting me with easier possibilities, it's not cutting deep into my scoring. I still shot an 81, which I do with mixed consistency; my average game is 88 and I've no doubt the absence of the wicked right turn attributed to the JumboMax, played a major role in those 7 strokes.

Tomorrow I will play a round with my Mizunos.... absent the JumboMax, and compare results.

I'm still in Florida and have another round today but wanted to get a few thoughts down on these while I have a moment.

Driver: had this in play starting the scramble round on Saturday morning. I got into play well on the first hole but then the struggles began. I made sure I had setup properly unlike last time out where I had an open stance....unfortunately I started running into an unpredictable miss that could be a push or a pull. These courses are too penal to allow for that so this wasn't good news.

It feels good at address in the hands but then I'm not sure if it's the inability to set a good wrist hinge or just a timing issue with rolling the wrists through impact but it's just not working. Ultimately, I've had one great day driving with the R1 equipped with Jumbo Max and then several sub-standard days.

7i: this is my favorite club that has this grip at this time. Hard to think back through the rounds Saturday playing 36 but it know for a fact that each time I had this on an approach to the green I found it. Seeing a nice high ball flight, not much movement and just picking the ball clean.

I've said it before, but I think this grip can help to quiet the hands which for me could minimize the fats & thins.

54*: I'm having a love/hate with this grip right now here.

Love - around the green
Hate - partial and full shots

Around the greens I'm just having a ton of success keeping my wrists from hinging which is encouraging clean contact and allowing me to feel the shot nicely. Countless times this weekend I was able to save par after missing a green and this club was critical helping me get up & down.

The partials and full swings are still a struggle. I am still seeing a perceived loss in distance and that clank at impact, almost a strange vibration that I can feel and hear. Wish I could explain exactly what it's doing but it seems like I'm unable to drive down through the ball and compress it.

More to come.....this was just a quick update from the phone.

Quick update from me as well. I had these in play over the weekend. Still absolutely despise it on the driver. Just cannot get the feel for the club and am hooking everything again. Driving the ball used to be the most consistent part of my game and now it is far from that. I brought 2 drivers out with me and all of my drives with the Cleveland CG black without these grips, were fine. Straight with a little fade. Pull hooks with the Amp Cell with the Jumbo Max grips almost every hole. I hit a few really nice shots with the 6 iron including a 160 yard ball over water into a par 5 which I assumed would be in the water but ended up just off the green. Using the PW with the JumboMax grip I chipped in for birdie. Hit the pin 3 more times with the PW from around the green as well. Hit a few half shots with great success with the PW as well. A few full shots that were also very good. Still really love these on my PW and and 50/50 on the 6 iron. I honestly dont know if I can continue to test this on my driver. It has really ruined all confidence with the club and I feel like I am beating a dead horse.

Just an update so I don;t look like the slacker here:
Was planned to go golfing yesterday, but due to the weather, I wound up sitting at home watching the rain come down. The cold air is here and I really want to squeeze in a couple more rounds before it gets too cold. Then it's range work until the weather warms up again.

Links to previous thoughts:
I played a practice 9 with these yesterday and I'm seeing a lot of the same as Ricky. My driver is not bad, per se, but honestly I haven't noticed any great leaps with this grip. Plus I really feel like it is impeding what I'm trying to do with my swing changes - I'm working on increasing my wrist cock at the top of my backswing, and I feel like the grip is actually making that more difficult for me. I haven't noticed any huge problems either, but I don't really think it's worth the adjustment on the big stick.

7 iron was pretty solid the few times I hit it. Hit a beautiful little easy draw that bit at around 145, right where I wanted it. But I am seeing the same results with the surrounding clubs with standard grips (6i/8i), so I don't see any evidence of greatly improved play here.

The GW was very nice. Took two full swings and hit them nice and straight, center of the green. The clubs surrounding the GW though were terrible - had a case of the flips/fats/slides something fierce. I think the Jumbo really saved my butt on the GW by keeping me from fatting it. Hit a couple of pretty nice chips with it too, whereas my chipping with other clubs was pretty horrific. I think I'm pretty much sold here. Now I just need to figure out if I can get these things off the driver/7 iron and put them on the GW/54/58. I think THAT could be a game changing setup for me honestly. Will try to get that done at my next lesson if possible, otherwise I may just bite the bullet and order two more from JM.

The partials and full swings are still a struggle. I am still seeing a perceived loss in distance and that clank at impact, almost a strange vibration that I can feel and hear. Wish I could explain exactly what it's doing but it seems like I'm unable to drive down through the ball and compress it.

Interesting - I'm noticing almost the exact opposite with my GW. I feel like I hit it much more solid with the Max'd GW than with the other short wedges surrounding it. Different strokes for different folks, of course, but just interesting how different it can be.

Interesting - I'm noticing almost the exact opposite with my GW. I feel like I hit it much more solid with the Max'd GW than with the other short wedges surrounding it. Different strokes for different folks, of course, but just interesting how different it can be.

Same for me buddy.

Same for me buddy.

Yep, we seem to be having a similar overall experience with these. The shorter the club gets, the better the experience. I really badly want to test a whole wedge set with these - will be working on getting that to happen in the next few weeks.

Yep, we seem to be having a similar overall experience with these. The shorter the club gets, the better the experience. I really badly want to test a whole wedge set with these - will be working on getting that to happen in the next few weeks.

Same for me. I feel almost bad about the Driver but I just dont know that I can keep using it. It is so blatently the issue when I am playing 2 drivers and the driver with the JumboMax grip is a hook machine and I NEVER hook drives.

I will be VERY interested to hear your results as I'm thinking about doing the same thing for my wedges.

I wonder how much this correlates to an article I read in Golf Digest about "straight arm" pitching, where there is very little wrist action and leads to more consistent contact. In trying that method out for myself, I was seeing better control, and having grips that enforce that would probably help.

I will be VERY interested to hear your results as I'm thinking about doing the same thing for my wedges.

I wonder how much this correlates to an article I read in Golf Digest about "straight arm" pitching, where there is very little wrist action and leads to more consistent contact. In trying that method out for myself, I was seeing better control, and having grips that enforce that would probably help.

Interesting Neb - I hadn't seen that article. It does seem to make a lot of sense, and I'm sure that has something to do with my travails of late with the 54-58. Hoping I can get these suckers off without wrecking them so I can do the wedge thing without paying for more grips, but if that's what I have to do I'll probably bite the bullet.

Interesting Neb - I hadn't seen that article. It does seem to make a lot of sense, and I'm sure that has something to do with my travails of late with the 54-58. Hoping I can get these suckers off without wrecking them so I can do the wedge thing without paying for more grips, but if that's what I have to do I'll probably bite the bullet.

Here's the article: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-12/tour-secret-straight-arm-pitch
Definitely got me thinking about trying something new with my pitch shots.

Was going to play a round with a different set of clubs and regular grips, but decided to give the Jumbos another run, since I had some questions I needed to answer for myself. The perception was that having these grips on 3 clubs is screwing with my game. That never was more evident than today, as I struggled to scramble home with a 46 on 9 holes.

The problem I am having is awareness and the difference between how I am griping the 3 jumboMax clubs versus the others. That awareness is causing me to compensate, or at least look for the same feel with the non Jumbo clubs. It's not working and the search is causing me to spray some shots with the non-JomboMax. Also the successes with the jumbos is causing me to question my other shots.

I have a JumboMax on my 7 iron and used it for my drive on the 147 yard Par 3 8th hole. It was sweet, right from the setup, to the grip, deliberate back swing, and ball strike. A high loft that dropped 2 paces onto the green and missed the hole by about six inches as it rolled by. We won't discussed my lipping the hole on the 10 foot come back putt. Suffice to say I parred. My point is.... I have a can repeat this shot... with the JumboMaxed 7 iron, but have not been able to come close to the same shot with a six or eight iron sporting a standard grip. And I am very aware and hampered by the noticeable difference in feel.

Obviously, this problem would go away if all my clubs had the JumboMax; but they don't... so I have to deal with it until I can order a full set.

Onward and upward......

Back