New Journey - Triathlon

Xt1ncT-NZ

Englishman in New Zealand
Reaction score
Handicap
My wife and I recently had a trip to Europe which included catching up with family in England and going through Paris to Barcelona and finally a cruise around the Med.

On the cruise we both signed up for boot camp. This was a lot of fun, but rammed home to me how overweight I was. 91kgs for someone who's 5' 10" tall is not good!!

For a while now I've wanted to do some cycling, so when we got back I bought a hybrid - kind of a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. I was hooked. Two weeks later I bought a road bike. Was even more hooked!!

I started riding each morning, but it still wasn't enough. As a kid I played a lot of football and in the summer I ran - sprinting to be precise - so I have always loved competing and training. Just as I got older I got lazier - familiar story right??

So I decided to enter a triathlon - except I didn't. I entered two.

The first is in December here in Tauranga New Zealand - see www.triseries.co.nz - I've entered an event called Timman and the length is 750 mtr swim, 20km ride and 5.5km run.

For the last 3 weeks I've been following a training plan designed to take me from beginner to sprint length triathlete - albeit still very much a novice.

I've been absolutely loving it. This morning was a strength workout in the gym at the golf club which I am lucky enough to live at.

I also wanted some motivation so have decided to raise money for charity. I've chosen the Neurological Association of NZ.

Why some of you might ask?

Well firstly in 2007 my wife fell down some stairs and used her head as a cushion. Really not a good idea - since the accident she has not been able to work and suffers from post concussion syndrome. She is unable to concentrate fully for more than about an hour to an hour and a half at a time.

Secondly, my mother in law suffers from early onset dementia. This first surfaced in about 2006, but it was only when our daughter was born in April 2007 that it really became obvious something was very wrong.

Research into both of these things is ongoing, and we feel it's only right that we do a little to help.

You can see my fundraising page at www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/RobertHuggins

I'll post comments and thoughts here for any of you who might be interested.

And here are some pictures - me and my bike.
edu4y8uq.jpg
ga8y2ume.jpg
sahanadu.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck and go out and enjoy it. Hope you raise plenty for your charity. I have looked at that event before but im not much of a swimmer.

You might want to just edit this date, "This first surfaced in about 2096" :D

Good luck and go out and enjoy it. Hope you raise plenty for your charity. I have looked at that event before but im not much of a swimmer.

You might want to just edit this date, "This first surfaced in about 2096" :D

Oops, but I a typo, thanks.

Good luck! The distances sound similar to what the call a sprint triathlon here. I've done a couple and they are a blast. Finishing is all that mattered to me. But the endorphin rush is awesome!

Nice dude! Best of luck on this! Looking forward to following along!

Can you get Gator Skins tires over there for your bike?

Nice dude! Best of luck on this! Looking forward to following along!

Can you get Gator Skins tires over there for your bike?

Thanks mate - not sure, I'll have a look around.

Have been looking at wheel sets which may well be my next purchase.

Had training with the local Tri Club tonight - had running drills on the beach followed by about a 4.5km run.

This picture is where we train - in the back ground is the Mount which we run round. Mount Maunganui is a great place for multi-sport.

y8evyqe2.jpg

Good luck man. I could never see myself participating in a Triathlon...by far not the best swimmer.

Today is a rest day - and tomorrow I start the 5th week of training.

Did the scales thing on Saturday - down to 81kgs - that's a 10kg or 22 lb loss since I started about 5 or 6 weeks ago.

Tomorrow is a 30 min ride followed by a 10 minute run. Also going to see a triathlon coach in the morning as I need help with my swimming - using to much energy and not going fast enough.

Apparently the swim is all about having your form as efficient as possible - which also makes you go faster whilst using less energy.

Should be fun - remember I am raising money and every little bit helps - www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/RobertHuggins

Thanks

Rob

New Journey - Triathlon

Today marks one week until the triathlon. Some great training this weekend as well.

Yesterday was a 35 min ocean swim, which worked out to be just over 1km. Very happy with that as I was getting concerned with my swimming. After the swim was a run - it was basically the same run course as theorems next week so good practice. I did my best 5km time so far so pleased with that as well.

And today was a two hour ride, which translated as 52kms or just over 32miles. Was a lot of fun, although the wind was doing funny stuff. For those cyclists out there I kept my cadence up around the 85 mark - sometimes more and sometimes less but on average is was around the 85 mark.

Big week of training coming up before a rest day Saturday and the event on Sunday.

Last edited:
Keep it up man, all the best in your event

A 85 cadence is solid dude, especially with a funky wind. Where you are doing your tri, is the wind predictable?

Good luck next week, and well done with the training.

New Journey - Triathlon

A 85 cadence is solid dude, especially with a funky wind. Where you are doing your tri, is the wind predictable?

Thanks WE. Yeah the wind is quite predictable at the Mount. It's quite a flat ride route as well which is nice.

Looking forward to it that's for sure.

If you're interested here's my Garmin data for the ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/410594891

So my event was yesterday - unfortunately I suffered a calf strain in Wednesday so couldn't do the run.

I did the swim and ride though, and it was lots of fun. I surprised myself in the swim, as I was faster than I have been in training, and not particularly tired after it. Probably meant I could go faster :)

The ride was great too - real tail wind on the way out, and then when we turned round we were right into it. 38kph on the way out turned into 24kph on the way back.

The next step for me is to rehab the right calf, then get some solid training in before my next event on 25th Jan.

Here's me afterwards.

evyby7y9.jpg

Well done, just a pity about the calf but at least you didn't give up.

Awesome dude. Only a month.5 until your next go round, good luck on rehabbing the calf.

Awesome dude. Only a month.5 until your next go round, good luck on rehabbing the calf.

Thanks man!

Met the owner of the local Specialized dealer last night. He's gonna set me up with a demo Shiv TT for a couple of weeks. Can't wait.

Back