"The Big Miss" By Hank Haney

He's a stubborn ba$tard too lol.

I thought the talk about how he started self diagnosing or doing things that he knew made him longer (but less consistent) were funny. I can relate.

And how we all sit on the range thinking after a lightening in the bottle swing "if i can only do that EVERY TIME" hahaha and then tinkering to find it again....

Or two great minds and then me. :D

hahahaha. I also LOVED how psychological Haney had to be with his advice. I also found it interesting to hear that Hank didn't think that Tiger knew much about the golf swing - technically speaking.

hahahaha. I also LOVED how psychological Haney had to be with his advice. I also found it interesting to hear that Hank didn't think that Tiger knew much about the golf swing - technically speaking.

I think most will find that odd, but I can tell you that so many have been saying that for years. Its why he has worked so closely with a swing coach. It also shows how great of a mimic in some ways he has been to gather all of what has been given to him and perfect it without said knowledge.

I think most will find that odd, but I can tell you that so many have been saying that for years. Its why he has worked so closely with a swing coach. It also shows how great of a mimic in some ways he has been to gather all of what has been given to him and perfect it without said knowledge.

Totally true. And the ability to apply it on sight and on demand and under enormous pressure. It's funny I almost respect him more of an athlete and less as a golfer after reading it. Odd.

I checked it out from the library and read it today. What an enjoyable and interesting read. I thought the insight into what it takes to be truly great was fascinating. Wood's pre-major week long routine was great to understand...the guy is a machine. And I loved stuff like the story where Haney asks him to spend half an hour in front of the mirror practicing two positions and Woods ends up doing it for 4.5 hours, including middle of the night, then goes very low the next day for the come from behind W.

It showed me how patient Hank really had to be and how difficult he had it trying to break through to tiger. I love The Haney project because he is a no non sense type of coach. His personality vs Tigers made for a great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished this book and I thought it was a great read. Tiger came across as a bit arrogant but very focussed at the same time, he seamed like a hard man to become friends with.

I forgot about this book. I was one of the "this crossed the line" guys but I must admit I think I need to read this I think it would be a fascinating read.

I forgot about this book. I was one of the "this crossed the line" guys but I must admit I think I need to read this I think it would be a fascinating read.

It is a good read. There is nothing but praise for tiger in it.

I just checked out the book from the library & read it over the weekend. Like others have said I think it was a good read. Hank provided some good insight into his integration into Tiger's world. Hank did document details like one day he was planning to write a book. Also, it seemed like Hank wrote the book to get people to understand that he was just as good a swing coach as Butch Harmon and that Tiger was just as successful under him.

As for the picture the book painted of Tiger. Tiger comes across as selfish and mostly a person who only thinks about himself. I think that type of one mindedness is what some people need to be great. I think it is hard to understand how it is to live as a global icon....probably only guys like Michael Jordan would understand. Look what Jordan did at his HoF speech. He brought up old grudges, but that is the type of stuff that drove Jordan to greatness.

I don't feel sorry for Tiger but living up to super high expectations in a world where you are a minority must be very hard. Look how many prodigies never live up to the hype. If he had trust issues with people before he probably really does after Hank wrote the book.

The part where Hank said he felt Tiger was tired of being Tiger was pretty interesting too. Reminds me of Andre Agassi's book where he mentioned that at a certain point he didn't like playing tennis, but what else could he do.

I had that perception until I read it. Not the case at all.

I just checked out the book from the library & read it over the weekend. Like others have said I think it was a good read. Hank provided some good insight into his integration into Tiger's world. Hank did document details like one day he was planning to write a book. Also, it seemed like Hank wrote the book to get people to understand that he was just as good a swing coach as Butch Harmon and that Tiger was just as successful under him.

As for the picture the book painted of Tiger. Tiger comes across as selfish and mostly a person who only thinks about himself. I think that type of one mindedness is what some people need to be great. I think it is hard to understand how it is to live as a global icon....probably only guys like Michael Jordan would understand. Look what Jordan did at his HoF speech. He brought up old grudges, but that is the type of stuff that drove Jordan to greatness.

I don't feel sorry for Tiger but living up to super high expectations in a world where you are a minority must be very hard. Look how many prodigies never live up to the hype. If he had trust issues with people before he probably really does after Hank wrote the book.

The part where Hank said he felt Tiger was tired of being Tiger was pretty interesting too. Reminds me of Andre Agassi's book where he mentioned that at a certain point he didn't like playing tennis, but what else could he do.

His insight was really astounding. I was just like you man. When I heard about it, I wanted nothing to do with it. I got it as a gift and gave it a shot. Loved it.

So I got this book for Christmas from my girlfriend's parents and hadn't read till a few days ago. I read it in about 3 days. I was absolutely addicted to it. I found it so extremely fascinating. This book actually made me a bigger fan of both Tiger and Hank. I know Hank gets a lot of criticism for it and people believe he crossed the line. He may have, but to me I just couldn't get enough. I honestly didn't want the book to end. I feel like the little stories able to the popsicles aren't about the popsicles at all. I think he's trying to portray how much Tiger was ONLY concentrated on himself and never gave a thought to anyone else really. I do feel bad for Tiger a bit after reading I couldn't imagine what it would be like living and playing with that much pressure on you. I believe Hank was under an extreme amount of pressure as well. All in all I could talk about this book all day long it was an awesome read IMO.

I've been listening to the audio version of this while driving to Indy, such an interesting perspective, very good IMHO!

I agree Icey, one of my favorite golf books, I need to get the audio version.

I've read it twice now, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't think he crossed the line very much to be honest - the book was very straightforward. Tiger does come off badly in more than a few of the stories, but like a lot of others I kind of took everything with a grain of salt. It's Haney's perspective of everything, which is always going to be skewed in favor of the person telling the story. But that doesn't take away from the overall story of the book by any means. Great read.

The audio is great, Hank actually narrates quite well.

The audio is great, Hank actually narrates quite well.

I listened to the audio version on the way to the LC Invitational. Made the ride go by a lot faster. I thought it was a great book.

Back