Eff getting burned out. Work will never be center stage in my life. I've seen what that does to a person. Least work/most money = success imo.
hawk is the man. I wish I could settle for that motto sometimes.

Eff getting burned out. Work will never be center stage in my life. I've seen what that does to a person. Least work/most money = success imo.

Bingo bingo. I work so I can have the life I have outside of work. I work to live, not live to work. If I have a job that I can tolerate and supports the day to day life I want, that's good enough for me. If you're at work all the time or so stressed from work that your normal life with your family suffers, what's the point?

That's a damn good formula. Did you name it?

I've been there.

I just feel like there is too much drive to settle. For me (at this young stage of my life) settling means running my own company that is sustainable without me working 60 hr weeks. Who knows if I will ever get there, but it's what I want right now.

I just feel like there is too much drive to settle. For me (at this young stage of my life) settling means running my own company that is sustainable without me working 60 hr weeks. Who knows if I will ever get there, but it's what I want right now.

You're young buddy. I did the same thing at your age.

Definitely agree with this...mostly. I'm still the guy that has to give 100% on the job at the same time. I've learned (because of working at golf courses) that most places will let you go above and beyond without compensating you additionally. Do you the best you can within the hours of work and then leave everything at work.

That's a damn good formula. Did you name it?
I dub it Hawk-inology.

He says from his couch (not work) while having the kids ask me to take them out to lunch and the range to hit balls while they eat the breakfast I made for them.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Talking and airing everything out has really helped. Hearing everyone else's personal priorities and similar experiences has gone a long ways and has helped me put things into perspective. Now it's time for me to take the weekend, gol golfing and give this some deep thought.

I would suggest that you must define your career goal within your life priorities. Given that defined goal, the next step is to develop a career path, a plan, if you will. Which position better accomodates your established plan. I personally think it is beneficial to be where you can locate a mentor, someone who is willing to share their experience and insights with you--to guide you along your chosen path. Based on your statements, it does not appear that your current position offers a mentoring opportunity.

After my discharge from active duty, my first civilian job was with Price Waterhouse. One of the partners kind of took me under his wing. This was long before the days of PCs. He asked me to help him with a project one weekend. Basically, all he needed me to do was post numbers because the speadsheet was so long, he couldn't reach all of the columns. When we finished, I mentioned that I wasn't sure what we just did or if I ever would. He took me into the library surrounded by reference materials on three walls. He then gave me the best advice I have ever received. He said "see all this material, the best skill of a person is the ability to ask the right questions, the answers can always be found. I am confident in your questioning ability". In our current computor age, the ability to ask the right questions is even more important.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. All the feedback/input was very constructive. After much deliberation I went ahead and accepted the local job offer. I'm a firm believer in a couple things: you cannot be successful without taking any risks, and creating physical lists. Other than the big increase in income :act-up:, those 2 principles are what steered me to accepting. I started writing down what it is that I wanted to accomplish. When I started writing my list, I thought to myself, this isn't right. None of these are my priorities. I changed the list and reorganized it to what I wanted most out of this position. They may sound the same, but actually are quite different. #1 on the top of the list was maintain a good work/life balance. If I can accomplish that goal everything else should fall into place.

Congrats sleuth! Good luck with the new job. If things get tough, just remind them you are a THP Invitational Champ.

Congrats sleuth! Good luck with the new job. If things get tough, just remind them you are a THP Invitational Champ.
Haha! Or...
Hawk - 0
Sleuth - 2

Congrats sleuth! Sounds like you really went about it the right way. Good luck with the new gig.

Congrats on your choice sleuth. Hopefully it all works out great for you !

I broke out on my own 17 years ago and now have nearly 200 people on my team. Honestly, the 60 hour thing is a pipe dream in the early years, more like 85 to 90 hours a week in those early days but I would be hard pressed to change a thing. In 30 days I turn 45 and in 34 days I close on the sale of my business. Putting in the hours and sacrifice at a younger age will lead to alot of laziness going forward on my end! Follow the dream is my message because you will just live the nightmare in a corporate setting.

I broke out on my own 17 years ago and now have nearly 200 people on my team. Honestly, the 60 hour thing is a pipe dream in the early years, more like 85 to 90 hours a week in those early days but I would be hard pressed to change a thing. In 30 days I turn 45 and in 34 days I close on the sale of my business. Putting in the hours and sacrifice at a younger age will lead to alot of laziness going forward on my end! Follow the dream is my message because you will just live the nightmare in a corporate setting.

Nice! I applaud those who are imaginitive and bold enough to go out on their own and start a business. Both my parents are private owners and have opened/sold multiple different types. There is a lot of reward in starting and creating and I may go this route myself some day.

Nice! I applaud those who are imaginitive and bold enough to go out on their own and start a business. Both my parents are private owners and have opened/sold multiple different types. There is a lot of reward in starting and creating and I may go this route myself some day.

Saw it myself with both parents and just couldn't see myself living any different after witnessing the rewards and self accomplishments of being a business owner.

Now who's in? haha

Glad to hear THP could help you out with the decision.

Good luck with the new job.

I can't give you an exact answer as you are the only one that truely knows what is best. But I can say this if you make enough to be comfortable now, then I'd take the one with better retirement. I personally don't plan working my whole life, so a large retirement is more important to me than a large pay check every week.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I can't give you an exact answer as you are the only one that truely knows what is best. But I can say this if you make enough to be comfortable now, then I'd take the one with better retirement. I personally don't plan working my whole life, so a large retirement is more important to me than a large pay check every week.

Keep Calm and Golf On.
You tell me this now!?!? My company match was 6% going down to 3% :angry:

Haha i'm just kidding. I'm right with you. I invest aggressively for our future. God willing I retire at 55. This was taken into consideration in my decision. Just need to take the difference and look at other vehicles. My wife and I currently do IRA's as well.

You tell me this now!?!? My company match was 6% going down to 3% :angry:

Haha i'm just kidding. I'm right with you. I invest aggressively for our future. God willing I retire at 55. This was taken into consideration in my decision. Just need to take the difference and look at other vehicles. My wife and I currently do IRA's as well.

Ouch, well that always stinks. I've had the same debate also. I've been offered jobs for the utility company or possibly moving from the field to management. But I'm at 25% on top of my income into my pension where the other two would just be a 401k and I just can't pass on such good retirement even if the pay is a bit better.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

The best career advice I got was from a (former) U.S. President. He asked me where I was going to law school and I told him I was in the process of deciding where to go. He then said that with any decision like that, "you gotta go with your gut." That resonated with me, a little because of who was giving me that advice, but also because deep down, your first instinct is usually the right one. Don't get me wrong, always think things through, but never ignore your intuition on decisions that impact your career, future and family.

Back