TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Snuck out and played 9 this morning after I over slept going to the lake. Driving avg was 238 and I hit 5/6 fairways. Granted the fairways are generous at this little course by my house but the drives were dead on line. The one I missed however was so bad I can't even describe. All my error. I believe it only went 168 but the banana slice was so bad total ball travel was probably 250 lol.

Definitely becoming a strong fan of this driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found, after switching the weights around that the heavier heel weight was causing me to swing more outside in, which resulted in some pretty bad side spin/slice shots. I'd be curious to know what you find with your variations.

I put a 20 in the heel, it feels like it takes a little off my natural fade. Just feel though, it would be interesting to see track man numbers.

to add a bit of info - I've played with the settings on my R1 a bit more. going to a 10* loft and neutral face setting is working better for me. I like the ball flight a lot more and I'm hitting more fairways even when I do try to really nail it. Somewhat lower dispersion and more distance off the tee than what I'm used to. This club is not only long but also very forgiving.

I'm toying with the idea of trying a new shaft to further improve the launch, but I don't have the knowledge to fit myself. I just really want to see what I can do with a stiff flex shaft in the R1. I'll be taking my new toy to a club fitter soon to see what they have to say about the idea.

The bottom line for me with this driver is this: I can't outhit this club. I'm *not* a good golfer, but the R1 makes me look like it on occasion. I want to reaffirm my recommendation of the R1 as a solid tool for the high handicapper.

Can anyone explain the upright setting on these? I don't see any reference on TM website. Thanks

I understand it is lie angle but what impact could it have if te club does not touch the ground?

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the upright setting on these? I don't see any reference on TM website. Thanks

I understand it is lie angle but what impact could it have if te club does not touch the ground?

Believe the upright setting is supposed to promote a draw.

Believe the upright setting is supposed to promote a draw.

When I got fitted the fitter said that it was for people who stand taller and closer to the ball, it does the same thing as 1* upright, just brings the toe up alittle bit and changes where the club bottoms out.

I have been pretty focused on iron play lately. I took some swings with the driver for the first time in a while yesterday at the range. The R1 is still great. The guy holding the end of the club...he needs some work. Have they made a driver that swings itself yet? Apparently that's the technology I need :)

I got my R1 with the TP stiff shaft over the summer, and after a season of tinkering settled on 10 degrees, draw bias on the weighting, and the face closed 1. This allows me to swing harder (my fitting put my swing speed at 114 on average) and keep my ball flight straight or a slight fade. If I miss, it's a big pull left 9/10 times because my right arm is dominant.

I gotta say, the R1 iOS app has been handy to have at the range.

So, does everyone believe the R1 is worth $200 new??

So, does everyone believe the R1 is worth $200 new??

You seen on here how many people love this driver. I would pick it up, but I think there are a few for sale on here right now for cheaper.

And if you don't have a local shop to support, there are plenty to be had on eBay for cheaper as well.

You seen on here how many people love this driver. I would pick it up, but I think there are a few for sale on here right now for cheaper.

I prefer new if the price is right...

And if you don't have a local shop to support, there are plenty to be had on eBay for cheaper as well.

eBay worries me with the number of counterfeit clubs for sale on there...

I just picked ip my black r1 from a local shop roger dunn new 199!

Still have my white and absolutely love it.. hit em str8

20131129_124005_zps9d4f0aab.jpg

Nice I have the white R1 and absolutely love that club. I really like the looks of the black looks really shape

Has anyone gamed the r1 v2 that has also played the standard r1?
What was the main difference in performance ? Any noticeable difference in feel?

Not yet , well I did a few months ago testing out some drivers

Anyone?

Put me off the v2 abit
Probably a good thing :)

I have found one of these in black at a reasonable price. I am considering either getting it, though I have never hit one or waiting until I can also hit a JetSpeed. Someone said the R1 has a heavier shaft and is more for those who want to hit a straighter ball, while the JetSpeed is lighter and is for more distance. Anyone who has hit one or both, could you please offer me some thoughts?

I love my R1 and haven't tweaked it from the factory settings at all. When I was fitted for my driver the R1 gave me the most distance and control. I think I paid $399 or $299 for mine when it first came out so I would absolutely pay $199 for a new one.

I love my R1 so much I bought one for my father, too. At $199 (or $149 if you look around), I really don't think you'll find a better driver. At least not if your swing is anything like mine.

Back