TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
TaylorMade has sent out their new R1 Driver for Forum Testing here on THP, and testers have started to receive their clubs at this time. This thread will serve as a long term review area for the the testers to post their thoughts, results and experiences with the new R1 Driver, as well as for others to ask questions and share their thoughts.

Please keep it clear until the testers begin posting their initial thoughts, Thanks.

First of all, my thanks to TaylorMade Golf and THP for the opportunity to test out this new driver. FedEx just happened to stop in front of the house and deliver a nice long brown box. Here is what was inside!

Some initial thoughts:

- Graphics on crown do not bother me in the least, time will tell if they are helpful at address or not
- Driver sets up very well at address with everything on neutral
- Headcover is a nice thick leather material with a great grab/pull handle where it says "TaylorMade Tuned Performance"
- Shaft has subtle graphics near the grip before going into a solid matte black all the way to the hosel, simple yet sharp
- The face angle compass protrudes a decent amount from the head, curious to see if it visibly changes once moved

Nasty storm supposed to roll through this evening so testing will start tomorrow at the latest! If more detailed photos are desired of anything, please don't hesitate to ask!!

DSC_0989_zps6b0c2e3c.jpg

DSC_0990_zps30a17761.jpg

DSC_0991_zpse80a52ea.jpg

DSC_0993_zpsb2974ff2.jpg

DSC_0995_zpsacc1d826.jpg

DSC_0996_zps06a1b090.jpg

DSC_0997_zps7fbd4a68.jpg

DSC_0992_zps13973170.jpg

DSC_0994_zps3e858dfa.jpg

DSC_0998_zpsefcec38a.jpg

DSC_0999_zps10b86816.jpg

Nice pics Cookie. How does the depth of the face compare to the AMP and J40 you have?

man that R1 looks fantastic. i should probably have one....

Great pictures Cookie! Looking forward to seeing if mine shows up today!

Great pictures Cookie. Mine arrived today as well, and assuming the weather stays good, I plan on taking it directly out to the range tonight. I will get some pictures up this evening and will hopefully have some very early thoughts.

love the color combo between the shaft and the head

Cookie, what are the specs of your AMP in comparison to the R1?

Are the Wrenches still the same from the R11?

Nice pics, Cookie! It's amazing how the "compass" prototype looks 10x better now as the finished product. I guess it just needed to grow on me.

Nice pics Cookie. How does the depth of the face compare to the AMP and J40 you have?

Below is the best pic I could grab. The top of the AMP is rounded up which extends the height of the face, the J40 is pretty flat. It is not as deep as the Classic but definitely deeper at address than the J40.

Numerically speaking, they are as follows:

J40: 2 1/16"
R1: 2 1/8"
AMP: 2 1/4"

Those are rough numbers and then the R1 looks taller because it goes from the face to the crown where it turns white but it goes up some on the face before starting back towards the crown....hope that makes sense.

DSC_1000_zps034ff6b0.jpg

Cookie, what are the specs of your AMP in comparison to the R1?

In what aspect? The AMP is a 9.5* with the JDL 6s shaft at 45 1/2". R1 looks at address like it will play 1/2" shorter. The AMP head looks bigger at address but I think it is because it is a solid color compared to the R1.

I did not own an R11 so not certain but my immediate guess is no. That guess is because this has a 6 pointed star that is a bit bigger than any I have ever used. The tip is a good bit bigger than the AMP tip.

Below is the best pic I could grab. The top of the AMP is rounded up which extends the height of the face, the J40 is pretty flat. It is not as deep as the Classic but definitely deeper at address than the J40.

Numerically speaking, they are as follows:

J40: 2 1/16"
R1: 2 1/8"
AMP: 2 1/4"

Those are rough numbers and then the R1 looks taller because it goes from the face to the crown where it turns white but it goes up some on the face before starting back towards the crown....hope that makes sense.

DSC_1000_zps034ff6b0.jpg

Thanks buddy. Just what I was looking for.

Nice work Cookie! You've got a nice trio there to get in some good comparisons.

Can't wait to hear how it is, but no matter what you say about it, it's still ugly as heck.

Still not a fan of those graphics. It is like a weird flashback to the 70's and the OP brand shirts and shorts kids used to wear or something. Of course none of that matters is the thing performs and takes us to Beast Mode off the tee...

I believe I had a R11 wrench at home, I'll compare them later, but I hadn't heard that they were different.

THat thing is pretty deep looking! great initial pictures, will be following along to hear everyone's thoughts. Hopefully someone can put it up next to a cleveland classic and get some numbers/pics.

I can't wait to get home to see if this is at the doorstep. Hopefully the ridiculous storms pass through completely tomorrow and I can get out of the office for a quick testing session on Thursday.

I'll post some pics once I have the R1 in hand. I can do a side-by-side comparison with my 910.

Really looking forward to getting started with this testing. Thanks again to Taylormade and THP for making it possible.

I'd be surprised if they were different. My R7 fairway wrench worked on the R11 and even the Callaway razr fit/X hot

Looking forward to reactions from the testers. I got to hit this on a launch monitor and was producing some solid numbers. Club felt good as well. I am interested to see how it performs on the course and with some adjustments.

Awesome initial stuff cookie, I can't wait to see what the others have to sat.

Just got word that the R1 is waiting at home. Work day has come to an abrupt end. More to follow shortly

Oh Cookie.....I know I've told you we must play golf soon, but we must play golf soon! Very nice!

Back