One moment on the course in the past you wish you could take back....

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I found the thread about proudest moments on the course and really enjoyed going through it....But I know most everyone has some not so proud moment whether it be an outburst, hooking the ball out of bounds with the lead going into the last hole and launching a club 100 yards down the fairway.....

For me, it has to be my junior year in high school when I exploded at my coach at a tournament. I was so pissed off I threw my shirt at him and told him to take my bag and shove it where the sun don't shine and that I'd never play for him again. It was quite the spectacle for someone as quiet and reserved as I was....

Now the circumstances surrounding that outburst were extreme and I still don't think he was anywhere near right in what he did or did not do.....But I do regret embarrassing my teammates and other folks that had to watch that outburst happen.

For the record I did play again, but rarely said a word to him from then on out. The next year he was no longer the coach.

These days I'm still laid back and have never had an incident like that.....Once in a lifetime moment for sure.....

What about you? Anything ever happen on a course that you regret?

That time we were waiting on a tee box and the group behind us, two girls and a guy, had finished the previous hole and were on the way up to the tee we were waiting on. It was a very slow day on the course.

Meanwhile I am doing the bill Murray thing on caddyshack when he was at the ball washer watching the lady golfers. It was a little awkward, haha.

Like a year after graduating college (i.e., still young enough to be stupid) I was the guest at a fraternity brother's country club. The day involved too much beer and too few bathrooms on the course. I was never invited back. I still feel very bad about it.

On the tee of the 18th with SkiBumGolfer in a 2 man scramble we were playing. I needed to just put a drive in play. I thought I'd play it safe and play hybrid, and freaking topped the hybrid right into the water. I was so pissed. I wish I could take it back and have just hit driver there.

From a golf perspective it would be the day I was 3 over par on the 17th teebox, a par 3 island green. I put two in the water and carded a 7, birdied the 18th and finished with a 78. Oh what could have been.

As far as poor behavior I dont think Ive ever done anything super stupid but Ive had a few rounds a few years ago where I was playing really poorly and "gave up" and moped around the course like a loser, dropping clubs and batting putts like I didnt care. Not my proudest moments.

There was a foursome of women, all of which were reasonably attractive, if a little older, by heck, who doesn't enjoy a little in-round flirting. Well, I cracked a joke that made my playing partner laugh (I didn't think it was that funny for the record), but he laughed so hard, he tooted. Loudly. Talk about an uncomfortable silence!

I doubt that guy will ever play a round with me again - he didn't really talk to me again for the remaining few holes we walked.

Last edited:
Every single time I lose composure on the course.
I do it a lot less now-a-days but it still happens.

Every single time I'm embarrassed because of my behavior, I apologize.

Hoping next year, I have nothing to complain about!

I needed a par on the last hole at a tricky little course in Scotland to shoot 68, which at the time would have been a new PB. I hit a decent shot off the tee and only had a wedge to the green. I thinned it right over the green and OOB! I exploded and launched my wedge a heck of a long way down the faiway and it landed like a tomahawk, head stuck in the ground and shaft pointing skyward. I did this with most of the members sitting on the balcony watching which made it so much worse.
I addressed all the members later that evening and apologized for my actions.
I still feel a little sick when I think of that day :excruciating::loser:

I have no regrets as far as play goes. Every shot is a learning experience for me.
But if I could take one thing back it would be an incident in front of my buddies nephew. I was having a rough day on the greens and I finally flipped out. Ben (nephew) laughed but Paul (buddy) said I looked like an Arse and explained why. I understood and apologized.
No one has ever called me out in that fashion and it hit home. Because up to that point that was regular behavior on the course for me. It's been over 10 years since that happened and I'm a better person for it. But I still hate that I arsed out like I did.

When I was playing high school golf, I got upset about a shot out of the trees and reacted by hitting the tree with the handle of my club. I ended up with a bent 3-iron, had to fess up to my dad, and played the rest of the year with 13 clubs. That's the last time I've ever done anything more than drop a club in frustration.

I would say it was early on when I started playing golf during a rough round. Struggling all day, I hit my drive perfectly down the middle on a Par 5, approach shot was perfect to the 100 yard marker - the 3rd shot was pulled no where near the green and out of bounds. Angry, I tried to throwing my PW straight up in the air, only to throw it up and straight back. Ended up stuck in a tree with no way for us to get it down.

Ended up having to come back 5 hours later and get it down from the tree in front of some very amused golfers.

I have never thrown a club since.

On the tee of the 18th with SkiBumGolfer in a 2 man scramble we were playing. I needed to just put a drive in play. I thought I'd play it safe and play hybrid, and freaking topped the hybrid right into the water. I was so pissed. I wish I could take it back and have just hit driver there.

Haha don't sweat it bud. At least you weren't bombing it 260 and playing from the senior tees... :angry:

For me it's when I was a teenager and I got pissed after a poor putting display and chucked my putter such that it got stuck in a tree and it took us 5 minutes to get it down. That was the moment that I made a concerted effort to cool down on the course, and I think it's really helped. People who've played with me lately know that if I'm playing poorly lately it rarely goes beyond a swear word or two and sometimes the Tiger patented "post follow through club drop".

About a year after I got serious about golf I invited my normal playing partners out for a round on my birthday. Because it was also my fiance's best friends birthday, we opted to invite the ladies along as well. I proceeded to have the worst day ever and completely lost my temper. It was bad and to this day (2 years later) I still apologize about it. Sometimes you just have to make yourself look like an ass to instill some humility going forward. I learned a lot that day but I would take it back in an instant.

I was teamed up with a couple people and played a course that was well out of my league, but at the time it was the only 18 hole course open. It was the sixth hole and I has having a miserable day with my wedges, and after I finally got out of the bunker I helicoptered my wedge into the woods/fescue combo, and went to the next tee. One of the people I was with went hunting for and somehow found my wedge. He told me that he used to do that with his putter, even as far as going swimming for it. Now I just either drop the club or place it immediately back in my bag to prevent any future aerial shows.

I've had a few "Tiger drops" but the worst would have to be playing with my wife. I was playing terribly and had lost all resemblance of a golf swing. I was frustrated and showed out.
I hate that I did that as she was having fun but I was incapable of being around human beings that afternoon.

Mine is easy...the one and only time I threw a club. I'll never forget it, since I felt like a total jack@$$ right after I did it. It was during practice my sophomore year in college, I was in the middle of the fairway on the par 5, 5th (was the 14th then) at Hillcrest Golf Course in Coffeyville. I pulled my 5 iron out and hit a terrible shot, and got so mad I just helicopter threw it to my left. I went and got my club, came back, apologized to my teammates I was playing with, and have never done that again.

I would say about 12 years ago I was playing with some guys, we were on the 12th tee box, I was extremely hungover & not happy with my game that day(bad combo), I snap hooked my 3wood off the tee into the woods, I turned threw my club towards cart & clearly threw it with more anger than I realized it hit the metal bar on the Cart that holds on the roof, the club snapped in half & could have easily come back & hit someone, I was very embarrassed & disappointed with myself since then i will not play hungover or drink on the course as alcohol does not work well with my game. I have not broke a club or thrown a club since, but it's something i regret & ironically I bet the 3 guys playing w/ me don't even remember it happening

I used to be quite the hothead when I was younger. I was playing with my Dad and was not doing very well and had a bit of a multi-hole meltdown, cursing, slamming, tossing clubs. I could see I embarrassed him before he even let me know it. My Dad never played that much so I feel guilty to this day about ruining one of the few times we got out together.

The first and only time I've ever thrown a club and broken a club. I hit a terrible pitch shot with my gap wedge and threw it back toward the golf cart. It took a funny bounce and the middle of the shaft collided with the fender of the cart, bending it to uselessness. Came to realize, now that that's a club I'd really like to have back, that I need to either get much wealthier to afford to destroy clubs, or get better at golf to where I don't want to destroy clubs so often. The latter option has been better for me all the way around.

I have a bunch of shots I'd like to take back.

18th hole on the North/South at Grand Cypress with my hardest hit drive of the day. A beautiful 40 yard hook into the drink.
A bush or two that I sullied.
A condo I attacked on the first tee of an outing.

All in good fun though.

I would say about 12 years ago I was playing with some guys, we were on the 12th tee box, I was extremely hungover & not happy with my game that day(bad combo), I snap hooked my 3wood off the tee into the woods, I turned threw my club towards cart & clearly threw it with more anger than I realized it hit the metal bar on the Cart that holds on the roof, the club snapped in half & could have easily come back & hit someone, I was very embarrassed & disappointed with myself since then i will not play hungover or drink on the course as alcohol does not work well with my game. I have not broke a club or thrown a club since, but it's something i regret & ironically I bet the 3 guys playing w/ me don't even remember it happening

Hah well at least you felt bad about it. Dude in a work scramble earlier this year did the same thing with his PW and then said "oh well, I needed a new one anyways." What a meathead.

Love hearing all the stories. Shows everyone has their not so good moments. Best thing is that we learned from them for the most part..... :)

Hah well at least you felt bad about it. Dude in a work scramble earlier this year did the same thing with his PW and then said "oh well, I needed a new one anyways." What a meathead.

i still feel bad, well not bad but disappointed in myself to this day

I played in my first ever club championship this year and I made the mistake of looking at everyone's round and coming up with a score I felt I needed to post to win. This just made me press more and make bad course management decisions. Instead of focussing on playing the best round I could I focused on playing to a score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarasota gauntlet a couple weeks ago. Me throwing a few clubs around. Not really a great way to act on a golf course.

Sorry guys.

Back