Cobra AMP CELL Driver & AMP CELL Pro Driver Preview

Just my casual drop in to agree with most everything posted. From hybrid to the big dog...enjoying the heck out of them.

Thanks guys.

Putting the Aldila shaft in this club has turned it into a rocket launcher for me. Only swung it once this weekend, off an elevated tee box, but it was a darn good swing, and my longest driver ever, more than 275 yards and straight as an arrow. Such a fun, confidence-inspiring club to have.

Just curious for those who went with the Kusala Blue or Aldila NV, what is your tempo/ swing speed/ launch? I just purchased the AMP Cell driver and have noticed the stock S shaft to be too whippy for me. Had some good drives & stats on the launch monitor but not so consistent once I got to the range - high slices or pull hooks. I've started to regret my purchase but feel it's got to be the shaft. The club head is very forgiving compared to my old J33R.
I've had success with the NV65 and VS Proto in stiff flex in the past. My usual swing is a moderate tempo with an aggressive decent resulting in a soft cut (5-7yds.) down the middle. I realize the cost of the Miyazaki vs. the Aldila's is nite and day! Based on some reviews, I've contemplated going for the Kusala Indigo as well.

Just curious for those who went with the Kusala Blue or Aldila NV, what is your tempo/ swing speed/ launch? I just purchased the AMP Cell driver and have noticed the stock S shaft to be too whippy for me. Had some good drives & stats on the launch monitor but not so consistent once I got to the range - high slices or pull hooks. I've started to regret my purchase but feel it's got to be the shaft. The club head is very forgiving compared to my old J33R.
I've had success with the NV65 and VS Proto in stiff flex in the past. My usual swing is a moderate tempo with an aggressive decent resulting in a soft cut (5-7yds.) down the middle. I realize the cost of the Miyazaki vs. the Aldila's is nite and day! Based on some reviews, I've contemplated going for the Kusala Indigo as well.

My swing is actually pretty slow for a stiff shaft, only in the low 90's. I set the Amp Cell to 11.5° and my launch is still pretty low, I think about 16.5° on average. I purposely bow my wrists at the top to keep from closing the clubface too soon, so I kind of deloft the club at impact. I have a pretty aggressive swing due to my height and build (I'm about 5'6", and stocky, so I try to get a good turn on the ball), and for whatever reason the NV65 just creates a great bit of lag for me, and reduces spin. I had a tendency to hit down on the ball with the stock shaft, and I'd get a balloon off the tee. The Aldila goes a long way toward reducing that, and I get a much less curvy launch. I haven't had a chance to swing this combo on a launch monitor, but it produces a great, smooth flight path.

My swing is actually pretty slow for a stiff shaft, only in the low 90's. I set the Amp Cell to 11.5° and my launch is still pretty low, I think about 16.5° on average. I purposely bow my wrists at the top to keep from closing the clubface too soon, so I kind of deloft the club at impact. I have a pretty aggressive swing due to my height and build (I'm about 5'6", and stocky, so I try to get a good turn on the ball), and for whatever reason the NV65 just creates a great bit of lag for me, and reduces spin. I had a tendency to hit down on the ball with the stock shaft, and I'd get a balloon off the tee. The Aldila goes a long way toward reducing that, and I get a much less curvy launch. I haven't had a chance to swing this combo on a launch monitor, but it produces a great, smooth flight path.

This is interesting and why this driver is so great - it fits so many different swing types. I am the complete opposite. I have a very high launch and hold off big time to create a power fade. Because of this My setting is at 8.5 but my launch is very very good. It's just such a complete club.

I am similar to Paladin, but seeing slightly higher launch angles. Swing speed is about 95, launching higher probably ~20*. I also had the same problems you did with the stock s-flex shaft. The Kusala blue is a match made in heaven with this club head. I highly recommend swapping out the shaft; you will not regret it.

j

The reason the stock shaft isn't working well for you more than likely is the torque rating. I believe the torque rating on the shaft is like in the mid 4's. I have the same issue, and like you I have an aggressive downswing ( for me, that's coupled with a short backswing and quick transition ) and that torque makes it hard to square the face without question.

j

The reason the stock shaft isn't working well for you more than likely is the torque rating. I believe the torque rating on the shaft is like in the mid 4's. I have the same issue, and like you I have an aggressive downswing ( for me, that's coupled with a short backswing and quick transition ) and that torque makes it hard to square the face without question.

Super true. This is constant with most who have an aggressive transition with this stock shaft.

After testing every [affordable] driver on the market, I tried the Amp Cell and Amp Cell Pro. The Amp Cell spun way too much. The Amp Cell Pro was perfect. Like many have stated here, the Amp Cell Pro is low-launch and low-spin. I have the stock Kurokage stiff shaft and adjusted the face to 11.5. With that setting, I hit mid to high lasers. More importantly, I am generally straight or have a baby fade with the Amp Cell Pro.

(With other drivers, I typically use a 9.5. My playing partner has an 8.5 degree Ping G20 that I hit only slightly lower than the Amp Cell Pro set at 11.5.)

After testing every [affordable] driver on the market, I tried the Amp Cell and Amp Cell Pro. The Amp Cell spun way too much. The Amp Cell Pro was perfect. Like many have stated here, the Amp Cell Pro is low-launch and low-spin. I have the stock Kurokage stiff shaft and adjusted the face to 11.5. With that setting, I hit mid to high lasers. More importantly, I am generally straight or have a baby fade with the Amp Cell Pro.

(With other drivers, I typically use a 9.5. My playing partner has an 8.5 degree Ping G20 that I hit only slightly lower than the Amp Cell Pro set at 11.5.)

Nice man. Keep us updated with your progress!!

Guys, just recently found this thread and can't believe how much love Cobra is getting on this driver, I never even looked at Cobra until recently as their new line is sick looking. Love it. I did not have good results with driver at golfsmith when I tried X hot, Amp cell, G20 all in 10.5 reg shaft. best results and good mid launch I had was with X hot and just felt the head and all through the swing and to me it was forgiving and longer than others, even though G20 should feel more forgiving as it has bigger and longer face and I usually miss on the toe or hit on bottom of the face.. But X hot just hit the ball for me more consistent with good 12-14 degree launch and 2200-2600 spin when I hit it OK.. Amp Cell was launching to high with a lot of spin and ballooned on the monitor and lost distance.. But I want to love this club and have it in my bag. I read all the reviews and see people talking about this stock shaft and that it needs to be changed for better results.

My question is if I get the amp cell in (blue) with Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue SC Regular shaft paired with this head, what should I see I know this shaft is high launch mid spin or so and would look great too with this club.. Any ideas?

I am 6.1 34 years old, athletic but not as flexible as I lift weight but working on being flexible part and on my swing to bring in closer to 100mph.. I am at 85mph now.. Thank you all

Guys, just recently found this thread and can't believe how much love Cobra is getting on this driver, I never even looked at Cobra until recently as their new line is sick looking. Love it. I did not have good results with driver at golfsmith when I tried X hot, Amp cell, G20 all in 10.5 reg shaft. best results and good mid launch I had was with X hot and just felt the head and all through the swing and to me it was forgiving and longer than others, even though G20 should feel more forgiving as it has bigger and longer face and I usually miss on the toe or hit on bottom of the face.. But X hot just hit the ball for me more consistent with good 12-14 degree launch and 2200-2600 spin when I hit it OK.. Amp Cell was launching to high with a lot of spin and ballooned on the monitor and lost distance.. But I want to love this club and have it in my bag. I read all the reviews and see people talking about this stock shaft and that it needs to be changed for better results.

My question is if I get the amp cell in (blue) with Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue SC Regular shaft paired with this head, what should I see I know this shaft is high launch mid spin or so and would look great too with this club.. Any ideas?

I am 6.1 34 years old, athletic but not as flexible as I lift weight but working on being flexible part and on my swing to bring in closer to 100mph.. I am at 85mph now.. Thank you all

Did you try the stock shaft in regular or stiff flex on the monitor?

Did you try the stock shaft in regular or stiff flex on the monitor?

Yep all regular I tried on monitor on all 3 drivers I tested at 10.5

Yep all regular I tried on monitor on all 3 drivers I tested at 10.5

I would give the stock stiff flex in the AMP Cell a try first. It plays weaker to flex so it might be a good fit for you and would save you some cash. Based on those numbers it may be easier to narrow down an good aftermarket option for you as well.

I would give the stock stiff flex in the AMP Cell a try first. It plays weaker to flex so it might be a good fit for you and would save you some cash. Based on those numbers it may be easier to narrow down an good aftermarket option for you as well.

Yep that's what I read on here that they play weak to flex and wanted to try it in stiff maybe even tonight at golfsmith. The one I found with that prolaunch blue sc reg shaft is used in very good cond for $85. And I liked that color combo as well

Cobra AMP CELL Driver & AMP CELL Pro Driver Preview

Wanted to add I am also not a small swinger but a hitter and have aggressive down swing. Working on my swing as I said. So high torque shafts like I had I my ping g15 with reg tfc shaft produced a slice almost all the time. So mid torque shafts work better for me as the shaft does not twist on downswing much

Wanted to add I am also not a small swinger but a hitter and have aggressive down swing. Working on my swing as I said.

As a fellow weight lifter, if you have an aggressive downswing, with the way the stock shaft plays, you may end up simply leaving the head of the club too far behind your hands at impact, which will produce a balloon. This was my most common problem with the stock shaft. Consider either hitting one flex rating stiffer than normal with the stock shaft, or going with a lower-launching shaft, such as Grafalloy Pro-Launch Red (I mention this shaft mostly because you can get it for about $60 already fitted with an Amp Cell adapter), or Aldila NV series.

Also, the stock shaft produces a great launch from a fairly rhythmic swing. I can get very good distance from it, but generating that much lag and releasing it consistently just didn't work for me. My hands wouldn't cooperate.

I actually had my worst round with the amp cell today. Only hit one fairway! Not sure what was going on.
I really want to try a Miyazaki shaft in this baby.

I actually had my worst round with the amp cell today. Only hit one fairway! Not sure what was going on.

Sorry to hear this dude. Hope it comes back next round. I find that even my worst days with the AMP Cell are better than my bad days with my other drivers

Stick with the head. I went through fits early on with the stock shaft (stiff) and once I found the Aldila it was night and day. I went from hitting a slice I could not straighten out, to hitting a cut shot or finding the middle of the fairway....

iPhone 5 Tappin

j

Good insight here. My swing is somewhat long but I accelerate out of my shoes about 1/2 to 2/3's down before contact, making the transition very quick through the ball. I've never had this issue of ballooning right or pull hooks before (and still don't with other shafts). Just checked specs on VS Proto in other driver and torque is rated at 3.2. I was looking at shafts in the mid-2's as well but may be too firm?

thanks man!

Good insight here. My swing is somewhat long but I accelerate out of my shoes about 1/2 to 2/3's down before contact, making the transition very quick through the ball. I've never had this issue of ballooning right or pull hooks before (and still don't with other shafts). Just checked specs on VS Proto in other driver and torque is rated at 3.2. I was looking at shafts in the mid-2's as well but may be too firm?

thanks man!

For a quick transition- my number 1 recommendation would be the black tie - but it's pricy

For a quick transition- my number 1 recommendation would be the black tie - but it's pricy

Black Tie is a good recommendation. The 'ahina fits the bill also very well for a quick transition, but it has the same drawback, it's expensive.

I've been wanting to try a Bimatrix Prototype as an cheaper combo, I've just been too lazy, but in theory it should do well for someone with a fast tempo.

Black Tie is a good recommendation. The 'ahina fits the bill also very well for a quick transition, but it has the same drawback, it's expensive.

I've been wanting to try a Bimatrix Prototype as an cheaper combo, I've just been too lazy, but in theory it should do well for someone with a fast tempo.

Another good recommendation - especially for the price. Good idea man.

All right. No matter what shaft I decide on I'm definitely having it cut to 45" playing length. I haven't had much luck with anything over 45 - and stock for this driver is almost 46". That's way too long for me.

Thanks again guys!

Back