Matrix Ozik Shaft Comparisons

mikeg_74

2015 Grandaddy | 2019 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
11ish
I looked around and didn't see a comparison. I'm trying to get a "human" perspective on how to compare the Matrix shaft offerings.

Specifically I wanted to know how to compare the Black Tie, White Tie & Red Tie offerings. I've read the website and looked at the numbers, but wanted someone's perspective on what shaft fits what type of swing speed, desired ball flight, etc. based on your fitting experience or conversations with others being fitted.

Any help or comments are welcomed. If this is being addressed in another forum please point me to it.

Thanks

"If You Tap It, They Will Read It"

Jman has reviewed the white and red tie wood shafts. And he just did a fantastic write up on the hybrid shafts for all three.

Black tie is low launch low spin and requires a bit of a snappy tempo. The white tie is med/high launch and low spin. Bit of a softer tip and requires some smoothness in the swing.

I had the white tie in my driver for most of the summer. I currently use the black tie. I have no real experience with the red.

Jman has reviewed the white and red tie wood shafts. And he just did a fantastic write up on the hybrid shafts.

Black tie is low launch low spin and requires a bit of a snappy tempo. The white tie is med/high launch and low spin. Bit of a softer tip and requires some smoothness in the swing.

I had the white tie in my driver for most of the summer. I currently use the black tie. I have no real experience with the red.

Thanks. What is your swing speed? I know you mentioned tempo to determine white vs black, but wonder if your swing speed puts you better fitted for one vs the other?

Thanks again

Thanks Tim. This should help out a lot.

Thanks. What is your swing speed? I know you mentioned tempo to determine white vs black, but wonder if your swing speed puts you better fitted for one vs the other?

Thanks again

I have no idea what my swing speed is. If I have to guess, around <110. But it's about the snappiness in the transition. I normally hit a high ball, even with the Black Tie, I launch pretty high. Which I like.

I will say this, in a driver, the black tie is taxing.

I have no idea what my swing speed is. If I have to guess, around <110. But it's about the snappiness in the transition. I normally hit a high ball, even with the Black Tie, I launch pretty high. Which I like.

I will say this, in a driver, the black tie is taxing.

I had a buddy hit my black tie and he said why dont you just make a shaft out of rebar? lol

I had a buddy hit my black tie and he said why dont you just make a shaft out of rebar? lol

When Buckjob thinks a shaft is boardy, it's boardy.

i have used the white tie and the black tie in the covert driver. i think they are in the two different ends of spectrum as far as feel and type of swing needed... like blugold says, white tie definitely needs a smoother swing. i can really feel the tip is softer and feel the head whip through, even in a stiff shaft. the blacktie is very boardy imo. needs an aggressive move during transition to load it. in my trials with both, white tie is very high launch, black tie is very low launch. black tie definitely could use a faster SS. both are great shafts, just depends on your swing and what kind of launch you are looking for.

i have used the white tie and the black tie in the covert driver. i think they are in the two different ends of spectrum as far as feel and type of swing needed... like blugold says, white tie definitely needs a smoother swing. i can really feel the tip is softer and feel the head whip through, even in a stiff shaft. the blacktie is very boardy imo. needs an aggressive move during transition to load it. in my trials with both, white tie is very high launch, black tie is very low launch. black tie definitely could use a faster SS. both are great shafts, just depends on your swing and what kind of launch you are looking for.

I am very interested in what a Q3 would for me, where it truly fits. Jman says its the real star of the line. I believe him

Fwiw, if the 6m3 wasn't $300+ I would be playing that right now

Last edited:
I am very interested in what a Q3 would for me, where it truly fits. Jman says its the real star of the line. I believe him

Fwiw, if the 6m3 wasn't $300+ I would be playing that right now

Im definitely curious of the red tie ans their new velox line. I find a heavier shaft thats just a bit less stout than the black tie fits me well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The white and the red tie have me seriously wondering if either will help better than my current set up.

Right now I have the RIP Phenom S in my Amp Cell & while I'm getting good results & like the ball flight, I can't help but think going down a flex or even the "firm" offering the White or Red have might be a better fit.

I picked up a R flex RIP Phenom off the bay for under $50, so I will experiment with that one first. I hate to drop big $$$ on a shaft to find out it isn't a fit.

I would agree with that statement...I like a firm shaft...but the black tie is like swinging a 2x4 to me.

I also find Matrix plays a lil bit stiffer to flex. Your guys thoughts?

I haven't spent any time the the Red, but did get in extensive time with both the black and white this year. Currently game the white 6x3 in an R1 and previously had the black 7m3, mostly in an X Hot with a brief stint in the R1 before getting rid of it.

The Black definitely takes more work, and I don't think I could ever fully load that shaft. Despite a quick tempo and transition, the weight and boaridiness were just a bit much. Honeymoon period went well but a few months in I became so frustrated with the weak right shot, not always low, but never could square up the face again. In the R1, I couldn't get it off the ground for any respectable height even cranking up the loft.

The White is a different animal all together. I can feel this shaft load, it's a nice smooth feel, but I have had to smooth out the tempo. Occasionally I get quick and will pull hook a shot and that almost always results in a penalty. So much less taxing than the black. I was worried about launch as I've always been a high launch player, but I game it in the R1 set to 10* and it's working superbly. Nice high launch with low spin that produces a little baby draw. Go after it a bit and I get a little baby fade out of it. Really happy with that setup right now.

I'm just over 100 SS with the driver, most falling between 100-103.

I haven't spent any time the the Red, but did get in extensive time with both the black and white this year. Currently game the white 6x3 in an R1 and previously had the black 7m3, mostly in an X Hot with a brief stint in the R1 before getting rid of it.

The Black definitely takes more work, and I don't think I could ever fully load that shaft. Despite a quick tempo and transition, the weight and boaridiness were just a bit much. Honeymoon period went well but a few months in I became so frustrated with the weak right shot, not always low, but never could square up the face again. In the R1, I couldn't get it off the ground for any respectable height even cranking up the loft.

The White is a different animal all together. I can feel this shaft load, it's a nice smooth feel, but I have had to smooth out the tempo. Occasionally I get quick and will pull hook a shot and that almost always results in a penalty. So much less taxing than the black. I was worried about launch as I've always been a high launch player, but I game it in the R1 set to 10* and it's working superbly. Nice high launch with low spin that produces a little baby draw. Go after it a bit and I get a little baby fade out of it. Really happy with that setup right now.

I'm just over 100 SS with the driver, most falling between 100-103.

Stiff flex in the White Tie?

Stiff flex in the White Tie?

Plays between firm and stiff. It actually started as a regular that has been tipped. I frequencies it before I installed and it is between the two, with a slight lean to stiff. Black Tie was stiff and just proved to be too much shaft for me.

anybody have a problem with Matrix ozik xcon-4.8 Flex S snapping nearly in the middle of shaft. It was the 2nd hit of the day on the range it is on a burner 2.0 5 metal, not a bad, hit not fat?

I'd say sometime somewhere it got damaged. A smal dent, scratch cut happen & it went from there. They are extremely tuff to see , so they go unnotice then one day. .snap

Back