Phil Mickelson Short Game DVD

I have the DVD...thought it very good...I didn't pick up on the techniques that much though; who's really going to be able to hit like Phil from just watching a DVD!?!:D I did like some of the concepts, how he delofts wedges for effect, holding off of release to create spin, the little forward press he uses to start things off and ensure a descending blow...also liked the putting bit about sighting the hole from inside the line; seems more natural and is how I've always done it...nice to have some instruction along lines that I feel comfortable with...I'm not big into spinning wedges for short shots but I did pick up on the 30 and 50 yd pitches for the hop and stop which is a good shot to have and one not usually included on more basic swing videos...

It's something that I'll go back to periodically; IMO you can never learn too much about the short game...for me though his stock hinge and hold technique is pretty #$%#$ difficult to repeat and really speaks to how good PM is...many more elementary techniques are covered and he spends a good bit of time on putting which on so many other DVDs only gets a cursory nod...well worth the money, whatever you paid, and though you might not ever hit it like Phil, enough different techniques are included that you will at least be exposed to the idea of creativity around the greens and that there is more than one way to skin a hole...

We're going to get it off ebay too. Just not sure which seller yet. I actually saw the link that was posted earlier, but there are quite a few.

I went ahead and bought from the same ebay guy as above.

I got my DVD today. Haven't opened it up yet.

I got this dvd the day it was released, and I really enjoy it. I usually put it on in the morning before I leave to go to the course. It has helped me with my lob wedge. :)

We open ours tomorrow. Don't see any practice time any time soon though!

I got mine on Christmas. I really like his insight on putting, and the "hinge and hold" shortgame swing. The part on the flop shots is cool too. Great video!

Does this accompany the book, or is an addition to or is pretty much just the book on a DVD?

Does this accompany the book, or is an addition to or is pretty much just the book on a DVD?

I've never seen or heard about the book, unless they're talking about the 10-page booklet that's inside the DVD

Have not watched mine in a few months. Time to pop in it and go back to school.

Well i have looked at all the reviews of this particular product "Phil's Secret of the Short Game" on this thread. I am GOLFING PROOF that this instructional video works. I have had this in my possesion since the beginning of '09 and have practiced it faithfully every chance I get even to this day. Here it is in a "nutshell": I have the same exact stroke for my pitching, chipping, flops, and bunker shots which itself minimizes the amount of thinking over the ball. The only variances he leaves is club selection, ball position, and distance (length of takeaway).

I am new to THP for the most part. So take this with a grain of salt. I picked up this video having no short game what so ever and a handicap of just under 14. Being able to get within that 100yd range is very easy with my length off the tee, but I was still playing almost bogey golf regardless of being so close. Well Ladies and Gentlemen, after hours of practice and 44 USGA posted rounds this past season. I strictly credit this Short Game DVD to lowering my HCP to 8.3 by seasons end. It was somewhat easy for me to buy into, seeing that I have never had any other short game instruction to compare Phil's teachings too. With that said, if you go into this video 100% open to what he's saying and displaying, YOU WILL SEE RESULTS.

One of these days we'll pop the DVD in. We haven't felt very "golfy" with it being single digits and a foot of snow outside.

Just picked up a copy of this last month. He has a great touch around the green. The hinge and hold sounds like a great technique but will have to practice it a bit before I use it on the course. Goes to show how important the short game is.

I've kinda forgotten about this. We got ours and put it away because te weather was so bad and we haven't taken it back out yet.

Talked me into it. Just ordered one from eBay for $12.

I watched this video at a friends house and i promise that my chipping around the green got MUCH better with his tecnique.

purchased one today...hoping it will help me out

It looks like Phil is doing a good bit of this drills with an SW or a LW. Or did I miss something?

a buddy of mine just burned me a copy of this, cant wait to watch it

I really like mine Sunday! Some really great stuff. Wait until you see the trick shot at the end.

Yeah, I love this DVD. It really helped me with my wedge shots around the greens! Hinge and Hold!

thanks SMG, now I cant wait to get to the end to see the shot! :act-up:

I really like mine Sunday! Some really great stuff. Wait until you see the trick shot at the end.

Last edited:
I purchased mine a few weeks ago, I am already seeing results. My short game as definitely gotten better. I feel the hinge and hold technique is a lot easier to control, once you get your distances down.

Back