Question for THP: Confusing Putting Topics in the Media

I just tried that. No issues at all.

I rode this one.

uja2aju7.jpg

I'd love to see a video of that.

TTing

I extend my finger down the shaft and have been told off by every pro that Ive played with. I dont know when I started doing it or what I gain by doing it but for me it works.

Will I putt better if I stop doing it?

I extend my finger down the shaft and have been told off by every pro that Ive played with. I dont know when I started doing it or what I gain by doing it but for me it works.

Most people do when they get comfortable not doing it. I would say that I did as well, but I completely changed everything about my putting setup in my 1st lesson and reinforced most of those changes with SPi, so I will say that just obtaining the correct setup can help your putting.

How about putting methods: You have Pelz shoulder rock on vertical plane to create SBST stroke, shoulders rotate around the spine for more of an arching stroke, Utley's arms swing around passive shoulders, right hand/arm dominant like Tiger and Nicklaus, left hand/arm dominant like Stockton

Alignment/stroke Bias: open stance, closed stance, square to target line and how the stroke is impacted by setup. Setup includes posture (bent over to more upright) and shaft lean forward and back.

Eye position: inside the ball, over the ball, outside the ball.

Ability to put spin on the ball: hook, slice, topspin to have the ball hold the line or not skid.

Aim: How important is aim. Some believe if you don't aim (putter perpendicular to line) then you don't have the right putter. Others believe that aim at setup is not important because having the right face angle at impact is really what is important.

Putter Design: impact of features such as offset, hosel design (flow necks, plumbers neck), shaft placement (center, heel, somewhere in between), weight, and toe hang

There are lots of confusing/contradictory things in the media when it comes to putting.

I do the same thing, and the people who have told me it's not a good idea also think fat grips teach bad habits.

This is what I think is confusing about putting as it's widely discussed, that there are good or bad habits in putting. To me, unless a habit makes you less consistent (I agree with what Jman said about the forward press in this regard) then it's it really a bad thing?

I got into the habit from reactionary shooting with a rifle. When in doubt, point and shoot. When I'm putting, I have both of my index fingers pointed at the ball. That's how I think of it, anyway.

Nice thread!
I have always been puzzled by which putter will work with which swing plane.
I have a bit of arc in my stroke, but visibly a center shafted putter looks best to me.
Apparantly these two do not combine very well, but never really understood why.
Have tried several types of forms and shapes, face balanced, heel-toe hang, center shaft etc etc etc
Apparently a "Mickelson type" putter should work well for me, but somehow I push all shorter putts, so had to give up on that eventually.
These days I use a Mizuno Bettinardi C-5 with 3.0 Super Stroke and that works, but still have no clue if this is my "best" option for my stroke.

Last edited:
Nice thread!
I have always been puzzled by which putter will work with which swing plane.
I have a bit of arc in my stroke, but visibly a center shafted putter looks best to me.
Apparantly these two do not combine very well, but never really understood why.
Have tried several types of forms and shapes, face balanced, heel-toe hang, center shaft etc etc etc
Apparently a "Mickelson type" putter should work well for me, but somehow I push all shorter putts, so had to give up on that eventually.
These days I use a Mizuno Bettinardi C-5 with 3.0 Super Stroke and that works, but still have clue if this is my "best" option for my stroke.

The best putter is the one that without any manipulation allows you to start it on your intended line and you can control the speed reasonably well. Any of the other factors only influence these two in my opinion.

Correctly (or incorrectly for that matter) release the putter head through the ball. And doing this without turning my hands over or manipulating the putter head.

Catching up to this one late. My two favorites are the belly putter is cheating. As far as I can tell the hole didn't get any bigger. For another matter maybe because I have a bit of a large stomach, a belly putter was harder for me. My other is grip pressure. I hardly ever get an answer that matches up. Probably because people have different strength levels in their hand but it's confusing when talking to teaching pros.

Thanks. You're probably right. Keep it simple....whatever works...etc

First thing that came to my mind.

Also, face milling.

Late to the thread and perhaps a dumb question, but I'm curious about the whole face milling thing too. what is the theory behind this? How is this supposed to help me make more putts? I have never used a putter with a milled face, probably bc seem to be (generally) more expensive.

Late to the thread and perhaps a dumb question, but I'm curious about the whole face milling thing too. what is the theory behind this? How is this supposed to help me make more putts? I have never used a putter with a milled face, probably bc seem to be (generally) more expensive.

For me personally, milled face putters just sound and feel better to me, which helps me be more comfortable on the green.

It all comes for to different strokes. Yes some inserts and milling patterns are designed to help with a smoother roll, however I think that most modern putters will put a good roll on the ball if you make a decent stroke.

Jersey Nate is correct, from what I understand. Face milling is used to dampen sound and soften the feel of the metal face. Aesthetically, it is pretty, but in general it does not add roll or impact spin.

I could be here all day with this one.

How about SBST vs Arc and the way the media portrays the differences.

I agree. There are so many different theories on what's right. I'm an avid reader of golf magazines and you really have to pick and choose which instructional articles you read, otherwise you get so screwed up that you go completely backwards.

SBST vs Arc and Eye position are the ones that get me most.

Watching the media discuss the Michelle Wie putting stroke is a source of confusion.
I think of my ball position when watching her putting stance.

This thread is fascinating.

SBST vs Arc and Eye position are the ones that get me most.

I get confused with how toe weighting or face balanced putters create stroke shape.

I get confused and can't buy into the idea of different putters for different greens. You don't see the pros changing putters from one course to the next so why do so many amateurs think they need to do so?

Back