Titleist AP1 or Ping G25

Congrats...which shafts did you go with in the AP1 irons and which shafts did u play in the G25?

About me: 59, once a week golfer, heart attack November 2012, driver swing speed is between 90-95.

Approx. 3-4 years ago I was still using S flex iron shafts, mostly DG S300 but as I aged I made a move to R flex. As we know many shafts differ from one manufacturer to another, some R flex can be a little soft depending on the weight while some S flex can be very stout. I tried a few different shafts with the AP1 irons and went with the XP95 S300, it felt great to me, I liked the feel and weight. Dispersion was better than the XP95 R300, launch angle were very similar when comparing both, distance was same.

One thing I noticed was that my contact on the clubface with the S300 was in the middle of the face on every shot. Now I am not one of those guys that can wear a dime sized spot on my irons but this was a very positive point for me. When using the R300 my contact was all over the place, something which I have seen for many years. I tried the AP1 irons in 2 different sessions (1 week apart) and was able to replicate the results. I did alternate using both flexes so it was not the case that I was warmed up more when hitting the S300 version.

The G25s were CFS R flex which were okay but thinking after the fact I may have done better with S flex in those. I had a set of i15s a few years back which were S flex although those were PINGs AWT shafts which seemed more suited to my swing. The CFS just did not seem like the right choice. I do think the G25 irons are a fine set but just not as appealing to me as other PING irons.

I think the OP should be looking at it in terms of category. Should someone at a 24 hcp be playing super game improvement or game improvement clubs. I spent the first 3 years of playing on a set of SGI clubs (TM Burner Plus irons) ... when I got down to a 16 or 17 figured it was time to get into a set of GI clubs - I went with the Mizzy JPX825's. I think somebody in the 24 hcp range should be thinking SGI not GI clubs - the TM Burner PLus irons are a fine club & on sale now for well under $300 everywhere.

I think the OP should be looking at it in terms of category. Should someone at a 24 hcp be playing super game improvement or game improvement clubs. I spent the first 3 years of playing on a set of SGI clubs (TM Burner Plus irons) ... when I got down to a 16 or 17 figured it was time to get into a set of GI clubs - I went with the Mizzy JPX825's. I think somebody in the 24 hcp range should be thinking SGI not GI clubs - the TM Burner PLus irons are a fine club & on sale now for well under $300 everywhere.

He already bought AP1's,

his handicap per the forum may or not be correct, HC alone doesn't tell the story about iron play(could be putting/driving/wedges/course management that hurts him), some people hit GI or players irons better than SGI due to swing type.

One thing I have learned from playing with new people on this forum is that generalizations made based on HC alone are rarely true.

For a high capper the pings would be better. Despite the AP1's being Titleist's most forgiving iron, they still aren't that forgiving. I would go try something else, it takes a special person to like the obnoxious soles on the G25s

I agree with this from personal experience. Today I had a couple hours to kill; so, as usual, I found myself at Golfsmith. Anyway, these are my current two favorite sets of irons too (I am about the same handicap). I hit the AP1's, Ping G25's and also the Callway X-Hot's. I loved the feel of the Ping's and they performed better on the launch monitor as well. As Custom Method said, I found theAP1's not very forgiving. I mishit a couple that really felt bad. On the other hand, every Ping felt great, even the shots I did not hit pure. I really wanted to like the Titleist too. Now it's time to start saving money!

I came from the S57s to the G25s so the APs did not even make my list. They looked too much like the S57s and I no longer cared about the top blade line and removed my bias for "chunky for the punky" that I use to have when I played my S57s.

Now, its all about SCORING. Especially when I am no longer having my consistent swing.

I hear u about scoring and as the saying goes...there are no pictures on the scroecard!

But in reading your post did you compare the G25 to the AP1 or AP2 as the S57 would compare more to the AP2...and because the toplines and soles on the G25 and AP1 are very similar???

Basing an iron purchase only on the basis of handicap is not a good idea at all, in my opinion. There are many reasons for a high handicap including but certainly not limited to ball striking ability. My future son in law has become a regular golf partner for the past year and has improved dramatically on his ball striking but still has problems breaking 100, however; he is a good ball striker and does not need SGI.

He has just made the same decision after a fitting session between G-25s and AP1s. He also went with AP1s which was a good decision for him based on his ball striking and prospects for continued improvement. He will be shooting consistently in the 80s this summer is my prediction.

Forget about the classification of SGI, GI, etc. due to handicap and choose irons based on a proper fittting and ball striking ability.

I love me some G25's. I will be purchasing me some real soon in the near future sometime quick. Maybe even quicker if I win my fantasy league in the next two weeks.:beauty: I love the whole G25 line up from driver to fairway woods to hybrids. Congrats on the AP1 purchase. For some reason Titleist and I have just never gotten along which is a shame because I really like the classic looks of their clubs. I have not hit the new AP's though and just might have to give them a whirl. They look almost identical to the originals, has anyone hit both AP's and if so are they really that much different? Thanks in advance

For a high capper the pings would be better. Despite the AP1's being Titleist's most forgiving iron, they still aren't that forgiving.

Stole the words right from me. Being a very consistent iron player, I keep trying to force my liking of these irons and still can't hit them straight.

got my set of G25s about 6 weeks ago (see earlier posts in this thread) and have since shot 2 of my 3 lowest rounds of the year. Prior to that, a very good round for me was in the mid 80s, average in the high 80s to low 90s. It is really weird, there have been days where I feel like my ball striking has been below average, then when i tally up the score at the end of the day, I am surprised that I still end up with a good (for me) score. On good days, I'm right around 80-83 now. Don't know if it is the club or maybe just the honeymoon phase placebo (probably a little bit of both), but the results have been noticeably better and I have had to change my expectations accordingly. Really exciting for someone like me who had previously plateaued and was struggling to keep improving. hopefully I'll break into the 70s some time soon.

I can't compare directly to the AP1s, but I absolutely love the G25s. They have turned out to be the perfect sticks for me - a weekend hacker starting to invest more time and energy and aspiring to get better.

Airstnybody that hasnt hit the AP 714 line should! Def one of the best irons out and they are fantastic. I am just about ready to go get fitted for clubs come February and I just started hitting clubs to see what I liked. Last week I I hit the 714 AP 1 and 2 and the s55's. I have no loyalty to any brand FYI. I hit the s55 first..nice club but got a lot of misses off the toe and wasnt very forgiving. BTW I was hitting all 6 irons with all the same shaft s300. So next i tried the ap2...absolutely beautiful club and very appealing to look at address. First 3 shots pushed a little right and then starting driving them with straight at 197 then 207 and I was like holy cow these things crush the ball and were pretty forgiving..I mean I missed a couple off the toe area that still went 180 and didnt sting my hands. So the guy makes me try the AP1 and first swing I crush one 215 yards with a 6 on there golf monitor...I was like that cant be accurate!! He goes there pretty accurate. So I hit another dozen balls and hit another 7 of those 12 over 200 and was like this club is the real deal and now I know why this is Titleist best selling club...very forgiving and just crushes the ball. And I am not a great ball striker..I have a all or nothing swing so I miss a lot...but the misses were less then more swinging the AP1's. Just my review on them.

I like Titleist but have never player any of their irons, just wedges and woods. I'm upgrading my irons this month (TM R11s), I want to get something more forgiving, I'm also a 24 hdcp. Usually shooting around 95-97. Although a lot of my issues are off the tee and putting. My iron play can be better, R11s can be very harsh on off center hits and will let you know. Not sure the AP1's will be necessarily an upgrade over the R11's, but for some reason I do feel the G25's will be more forgiving.

They are both great clubs. I'd try both and see what you like best. It could be that the look of the AP1 suit your eye better, even though there's more club there with the G series. Live hit the 714 and I play the G15 now, and they aren't that far apart in the forgiveness dept. the G25 are probably easier to hit in the long irons.

I like Titleist but have never player any of their irons, just wedges and woods. I'm upgrading my irons this month (TM R11s), I want to get something more forgiving, I'm also a 24 hdcp. Usually shooting around 95-97. Although a lot of my issues are off the tee and putting. My iron play can be better, R11s can be very harsh on off center hits and will let you know. Not sure the AP1's will be necessarily an upgrade over the R11's, but for some reason I do feel the G25's will be more forgiving.

Having come down to both as my final 2, i found the AP1 to be more forgiving across the board, but especially on toe hits whereas the G25 werent not nearly as forgiving there but were most other places. I would think the AP1 would be a good upgrade from the R11's.

They are both great clubs. I'd try both and see what you like best. It could be that the look of the AP1 suit your eye better, even though there's more club there with the G series. Live hit the 714 and I play the G15 now, and they aren't that far apart in the forgiveness dept. the G25 are probably easier to hit in the long irons.

I actually think the AP1 are but thats just IMO. I hit the 5 irons side by side and thats what swayed me to get the AP1 over the G25.

Still loving my 714 AP1's and have no intentions of getting rid of them anytime in the foreseeable future.

I hate to be vague but you can't go wrong with either. They are both really solid choices

I love my Ap1 irons but to each his own. Whatever you choose make sure you get them fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I'd take the AP1's over the G25's for my miss (toe). They are a full cavity and have tungsten weighting in the toe, so they are by design a forgiving club. A tiny bit smaller head, less offset, and I guess a thinner sole, but almost all irons have thinner soles than G25's - mid/long irons at least.

For what it's worth, I'd take the AP1's over the G25's for my miss (toe). They are a full cavity and have tungsten weighting in the toe, so they are by design a forgiving club. A tiny bit smaller head, less offset, and I guess a thinner sole, but almost all irons have thinner soles than G25's - mid/long irons at least.

I'm with Hawk. Aesthetically, the AP1s are much cleaner looking IMO but the G25s aren't the worst looking by any means. The G25s are like all previous clubs in the G-series. Meaning that they are very forgiving. I like the stock offering better in the AP1s as well.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either though. Whatever fits your game best is the way to go.

Titleist AP1 or Ping G25

I actually think the AP1 are but thats just IMO. I hit the 5 irons side by side and thats what swayed me to get the AP1 over the G25.

Still loving my 714 AP1's and have no intentions of getting rid of them anytime in the foreseeable future.

I think there's something about the chunkiness of the g series that gives me confidence with the long irons. I've never hit a 4 iron as well as my g15.

I think thats key, the performance of the long irons. Hows the 4 iron compared in both?

Btw i ask because i really want to keep a 4 and 5 iron in the bag because I'm no fan of hybrids that much, so the set that has the most easier to hit long irons works for me better.

We dont get the chance to demo clubs in the course and i hit everything fine in mats in front of a simulator haha..

I think thats key, the performance of the long irons. Hows the 4 iron compared in both?

I think that's going to depend on the user. Try to find a place that will let you demo clubs throughout the set to see. It's unfortunate most places only let you hit the 6 or 7 iron.

Yeah, i think throwing the SpeedBlade in the mix with the Ap1 and G25 would be a nice battle!

Yeah, i think throwing the SpeedBlade in the mix with the Ap1 and G25 would be a nice battle!

If you want to go nuts, I'd consider the jpx 825 as well.

I initially bought the 714 AP1's this year. Hit them extremely well on the mat at Golf Town... Took them to the course (soft course) and I was chunking and hitting EVERYTHING fat. 2 days at the range and two full rounds, just could not get the sticks going. This immediately frustrated me and as soon as someone mentioned to me on here how if you think the club is the problem you're never going to trust your swing. Used my buddy's AP2's, hit them perfect. Never struck balls better in my life.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no harm in changing once you've decided on clubs. Golf Town gave me $900 for my AP1's back because of how well maintained I kept them and didn't scuff them up. They had a set of AP2's on the shelf used once (like my AP1's) with Multi-Compound Black/White grips and KBS Tour shafts for $950. In the long run I saved, but more importantly I saved my golf game. Confidence is everything mate. Even if you have to spend a little more, do it. The right clubs for you are worth their weight in gold.

After looking and hitting them all, i went with the Ping G25's. They are a good forgiving club for an 18 hdcp like myself. They have improved my game as well. I was swinging TM Burners and i couldn't get them to do what i wanted so i started looking. I hit the Titleist, Mizunos, callaway xhot and the rocketbladz. The Pings have a great feel when striking the ball. I don't think you would be disappointed. The sole is also smaller by a good margin over the G20's.. Ping nailed it with the G25's IMO.

one thing i noticed with the pings is my yardage was more consistent. With the TMs i would hit a 7i 150, then the next time 160+ and never really could gauge what club i needed. The only drawback i see to the pings is they are not the longest lofted clubs. My 7 is a consistent 150 yards now and with the callaway xhots my average was 160 consistently. The pings may be a tad shorter for me but far more consistent. Rather hit it straight 150 than left or right 160+. My second choice was the Xhots however with Titleist coming in 3rd. I hated the mizunos and TM's. Way too much feedback. Felt like hitting a rock with an aluminum bat even on perfectly hit balls.

Back