The Ashes, England vs Australia

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
How many people are watching this? I'm usually not a fan of the 5 day version of the game but this series has been awesome so far! Watching Mitchell Johnson dismantle and scare the living crap out of the English batsmen is a sight to behold. As I'm typing Johnson has just taken his 6'th wicket!!!!!!!!!! Come on Australia!

I was so close to making the trip to see this in person. How are you watching it?

Watching it on Sky Sports here in New Zealand. It looks like this last pair are going to make life difficult, all Australia need is for Johnson to get a go at Panesar and it'd be all over.

Are kiwis supposed to root for Australia?

I'm South African, living in New Zealand and supporting the Australian cricket team, lol. Most NZ'ers won't support Australia no matter what.

Ha! Can't believe there is a thread for this. Shouldn't it be in the sports section. Mitchell Johnson is a world class t***! That said England's bowlers have been lacklustre, and their batsmen have been worse than awful. It speaks volumes that one of the best performances at the crease for England was Monty Panesar! Johnson is gonna anialate England at Perth! I can see Australia winning the series 5-0 and as much as I hate to say it, it's nothing less than they deserve.

Come on now, that's a little harsh isn't it? He's a fast bowler who's in form and full of confidence. I've yet to see a fast bowler that was humble and mild mannered, lol.
The English are struggling in every aspect of the game, it can't all be blamed on the bowlers. The batsmen are throwing their wickets away but that in part comes down to great bowling by the Australians. It has to be said, the English seem to have zero fight left in their eyes and it's been replaced by fear of epic proportions. The next test in Perth is going to interesting, hard, fast and bouncy and I think we'll see more than one English player having fits at the crease, ROFL.

I'm hating this at the moment.

Our batsmen are just not giving the bowlers anything to bowl at - all 10 wickets in the second innings in Adelaide were to balls that wouldn't have hit the stumps so didn't even need to be played.

Shocking stuff.

You're not wrong there bud, like I said throwing their wickets away. I can't understand why they're playing so badly though? Admittedly the bowlers aren't doing great and the fielding is below average but the team is full of class players that should be able to do better than they currently are.

You're not wrong there bud, like I said throwing their wickets away. I can't understand why they're playing so badly though? Admittedly the bowlers aren't doing great and the fielding is below average but the team is full of class players that should be able to do better than they currently are.

When things like this go on, there's always more than meets the eye. Plus a lot of their top players are getting towards the end of their Test careers - Anderson, Swann, KP, Prior are all the wrong side of 30, so maybe their time is up?

Yea that's a valid point, and Australia are starting to finally see the benefits of getting young players in the team that have matured well. I wouldn't say KP was past his prime though? The other 3 I fully agree with you though.

Yea that's a valid point, and Australia are starting to finally see the benefits of getting young players in the team that have matured well. I wouldn't say KP was past his prime though? The other 3 I fully agree with you though.

Not so sure about the Aussies and their young players - Lyon is a terrible bowler and Bailey is a shocker as well. We just seem to be scared of Lyon for some reason that I just don't understand.

I just hope we can get it together for Perth which is going to be really hard given the traditionally fast pitch.

See I think Lyon is a good bowler, in the same way Dan Vettori was/is. They're both incredibly boring to bat against and get very little spin most of the time yet somehow take wickets and slow down run rates.

Moved I to sports talk thread

Thanks.

I agree Mitchell Johnson is on fire at the moment. The way he was acting though in that last innings, especially with Stokes, he was an idiot! Personally, if he'd have got in my way I'd have sent him flying!
I just don't know why the English batsmen are even playing the short balls he's sending down. It's madness. I will say part of the problem though, with Johnson's sledging of the English batsmen, he's definitely getting into their heads! He's getting into mine and I'm not even there LOL

Someone bowling a ball at the pace he does is scary enough but when it's directed at your head or ribs there's not may options but to flail at it, lol. He's a bit OTT but damn he's bowling well.

I went to all five days in Adelaide and Johnson's post lunch spell on day three was mesmerising!

Also, Stuart Broad getting a golden duck after faffing around trying to slow down the game pace and interrupt Johnson's rhythm was quite possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life! :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3-0 and to be honest England don't look like stopping the rot. This is gonna be a 5-0 whitewash!

I have to agree with you mate, the English look shellshocked and I can't see them coming back in this series. Well done to Australia, deserved winners!

Yep. It's all very depressing.

Nice to see that now the Ashes have been lost, England finally got their act together, sort of. Better late than never. Although some of that batting still looked very suspect. The highlight of yesterday though was seeing Piers Morgan take an absolute beating in the nets from Brett Lee. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke! The one and only time I'll cheer on an Aussie LOL

England are doing pretty well but it'll be interesting if they can keep it up.

The Ashes, England vs Australia

England are doing pretty well but it'll be interesting if they can keep it up.

I'm guessing you typed this before the lower order collapse which was inevitable LOL. England's batsmen have been beyond shocking this series!!!! Carberry, 81 balls faced and he's out for 12!!!! Ian Bell with the softest dismissal ever!!!! The last 5 wickets fell for 6 runs! 6 RUNS!!!!!! They've really been an embarrassment!!!!

I'm guessing you typed this before the lower order collapse which was inevitable LOL. England's batsmen have been beyond shocking this series!!!! Carberry, 81 balls faced and he's out for 12!!!! Ian Bell with the softest dismissal ever!!!! The last 5 wickets fell for 6 runs! 6 RUNS!!!!!! They've really been an embarrassment!!!!

Mate if we were an embarrassment we'd be better than we've been. Shocking - wonder what's happening with the Indian bookies??

Back