Iron fitting question

J33R

Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry if this is a repeat question...

Why does there seem to be so much discrepancy in shaft length recommendations? I'm 6'1", wrists to floor is about 36.5 inches. I was fitted for irons about 5 years ago with a lie board and the fitter said I was okay hitting standard length/lie irons. However, when I look at various fitting charts, the difference in length is anywhere from 0-1" and 0-2* upright? How do you know what's correct? I've always played standard length irons with no issues but some folks suggested adding 1* lie and lengthening my shafts.

Any thoughts?

There is nothing consistent between manufacturers and between lines of clubs. That includes shafts and iron configurations (length, loft, lie). You will even find that the same manufacturer changes the standard between iron models.

What is correct typically requires a fitting. I went through a Mizuno fitting and came out to their standard for the the JPZ-825 irons which it actually shorter and flatter than most other manufacturers.

There is nothing consistent between manufacturers and between lines of clubs. That includes shafts and iron configurations (length, loft, lie). You will even find that the same manufacturer changes the standard between iron models.

What is correct typically requires a fitting. I went through a Mizuno fitting and came out to their standard for the the JPZ-825 irons which it actually shorter and flatter than most other manufacturers.

What length/loft/lie you play for 1 set will not necessarily be the same for another even with in a company.

With that said if you know what your specs are for a specific set you and that sets base specs then you can transfer what you need in a different set. If you are fit to 2* up in club A and the base lie angle is 64* meaning your ordered set lie would be 66*, and if set B base is 63* you'd need to order them 3* up. Hope that makes sense

What length/loft/lie you play for 1 set will not necessarily be the same for another even with in a company.

With that said if you know what your specs are for a specific set you and that sets base specs then you can transfer what you need in a different set. If you are fit to 2* up in club A and the base lie angle is 64* meaning your ordered set lie would be 66*, and if set B base is 63* you'd need to order them 3* up. Hope that makes sense

Yep. This makes perfect sense. Admittedly I had some concerns based on recommendations by peers. Turns out they have know idea of my club specs. I was fitted for Cleveland CG4 tours in '08. My current set is almost identical to those so I feel much better hearing this.

Thanks guys.

Yep. This makes perfect sense. Admittedly I had some concerns based on recommendations by peers. Turns out they have know idea of my club specs. I was fitted for Cleveland CG4 tours in '08. My current set is almost identical to those so I feel much better hearing this.

Thanks guys.
You may want to get fit again, that is a great deal of time since last fitting. A lot could have changed in your setup, swing and angle of attack I into the ball.

You may want to get fit again, that is a great deal of time since last fitting. A lot could have changed in your setup, swing and angle of attack I into the ball.

That's always a big factor as well. Someone could be really tall and need flatter irons just based on how they set up and swing. A shorter player might need something upright as well. There is much more that goes into it than a players height.

Great point Freddie! Mine changed 3* over the summer because of lessons.

Spot on..I know once I'm done or almost done with lessons I will be doing the same. No clue where I'll be as in the last year I've gone from 2* upright to standard with minimal lessons.

Back