Best shot of your life!

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
We have a best shot of your round thread, but what's the best shot of your life?
What led to that shot, what circumstances was the shot made under?

Mine came during a round last summer, at a pre league play warm up round at a course called the Timbers, in Vassar,MI. It was hole 12 which was alongside a road, it was a par 5. With an old windmill and concrete barn foundation up about 115 Yds from the green. Off to the right about 20 Yds right of the fairway.

Well..... Guess where my 3rd shot ended up?
Behind that concrete foundation, about 4-5' behind it.
When I got to that ball, my initial thought was hit it backwards into the fairway, take my lumps and continue the hole.
My buddy, who was able to play that day thought I could get up and over it, as it was about 3' high.
I was scared. Scared that this ball was going from ground, to club, to concrete, to my beautiful face.
I hit it after a moment if thought, struck it well.

The ball flew on a good line, landed at the edge of the green, then released and rolled in for birdie.
I got to see it all, as did my buddy, a couple groups on surrounding holes, and the ranger who I didn't know was sitting about 40 Yds behind us waiting to pass.

That shot still brings a smile to my face.

The shot of my life at this moment ( I hope one beats it this season) was playing a treetops on the signature course. We were playing alternate shot and my partner and I lost 3 of the first 4 holes. We were down 3 on the 6th hole and my partner and I both had good drives. He said he felt more comfortable if I hit into the green so I said sure. It was about 80 yards to an uphill green. Hit the ball great, walk up no ball, peak in the cup and there it is. I followed that up with sticking it to 3 ft on the next par 3, and we erased the deficit by the 9th hole.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Mine was earlier this year in October. Shortest par 4 on the course playing 315. Had a bunker on the left side of the fairway at about 215-220.

I pured my mashie 2hy and thought I was definitely in the trap. Get up to my ball and its sitting pretty in the fairway about a yard from the bunker. Had about 105 to a back pin and pulled out my GW.

Played it just like I wanted and it was heading towards the flag. I saw the ball disappear but assumed I hit it over. My buddy who was 25 yards up saw it go in. Ran up to the hole to make sure, my first eagle.

tu8asaba.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Id probably say earlier this year on a par 3 at Fondulac Golf Course in East Peoria. Its a par 3 course only at 1,255 yards from the longest tee's. So its a fun course to work on your short game. But anyways this was on the #8 hole and I had a nice shot off the tee. When I walked up there I could believe how close I was to the hole for a hole in one!!! As you can see my ball mark next to the hole it almost happened. Hopefully this year I'll be closer.
IMG_20130426_162104_8441.jpg

I dont think I have one greatest shot that sticks out to me. Of course the rare ocassions of holing one from bunkers or from pitching distances is always memorable.

But being its hard enough to have GIR's at a high ratio the shots that stick in my memory most (relatively speaking as one shooting 90's) are the very long approach shots that hit the greens. Those few 3wood, 5wood, 3iron shots that got on and got close. Those collectively are what is most memorable to me.

A par 4. 250 yrd blind shot for an eagle with a Clev. Classic persimmon 5w

Last edited:
Mine would probably by my hole in one.

It happened on January 3, 2001 when I was 11 years old. I hit a 6-iron from 105 and the ball one hopped about 4 feet short and dropped in the hole. I had only been playing golf for about a year at the time. I have been close since then, but even a few inches is still quite a ways from a hole in one. My dad still beat me by 1 that day. He is ruthless!

So far...I'd have to say it was my first eagle. It was a 463 yd dog leg right. I was about 200 out after my tee shot and hit my 5 wood dead straight at the pin and the ball bounced 2 feet from the pin and stopped.

:act-up:About 4 summers ago at Hampshire Golf Course in Dowagiac Michigan. ( dogwood course). The 18th is a shortish par 5 , 500 or so. Hit a decent drive, and had 242 left with a forced carry over a pond to a postage stamp green..ob right and behind. I nailed my 3 wood..just pured it...a beautiful high draw that hit dead center of the green and rolled to the back fringe. Made a easy 2 putt birdie for a 75 and than proceeded to play the other 18 and shot a 76 there. A great day..exemplified by one of the best 3 woods I hit in a long long time,,

mm

I would say that the most impressive shot I have ever hit was in a scramble with my mom's boss a few years ago. It wasnt anything crazy in terms of distance or carry but it was on a par 5 that I had hit my second shot about 40 yards short of the green. I walked up and decided to practice by hitting a guys ball that was about 100 yards out. I hit it perfectly and it went in. One of the guys in our group was all about the honor system so we didnt count it and went up to play the 40 yard shot. This shot was ridiculously hard because it was all carry and we had about 3 paces to work with before the ball would roll down a slope and leave a 30+ ft attempt. I went first because I told the guys I liked the yardage and to our shock..... I flew it in the hole. It was the first time ever I had holed out on back to back shots and just felt really good about it. I have pulled off tougher and have both an ACE and a Double Eagle but it was just cool to see this unfold under the circumstances

I would say that the most impressive shot I have ever hit was in a scramble with my mom's boss a few years ago. It wasnt anything crazy in terms of distance or carry but it was on a par 5 that I had hit my second shot about 40 yards short of the green. I walked up and decided to practice by hitting a guys ball that was about 100 yards out. I hit it perfectly and it went in. One of the guys in our group was all about the honor system so we didnt count it and went up to play the 40 yard shot. This shot was ridiculously hard because it was all carry and we had about 3 paces to work with before the ball would roll down a slope and leave a 30+ ft attempt. I went first because I told the guys I liked the yardage and to our shock..... I flew it in the hole. It was the first time ever I had holed out on back to back shots and just felt really good about it. I have pulled off tougher and have both an ACE and a Double Eagle but it was just cool to see this unfold under the circumstances

awesome man....cool story

Has to be about 6 or 7 years ago.
Fairways GC. 13th hole, 170 yard par 3, all carry over water.
There was a 5 mph wind into my face so I hit a 6 iron. The ball hit 5 feet in front of the hole, released and stopped less than an inch from going in, dead center of the hole.
That is the closest I have been to an ace.

The best shot of my life was this summer playing on the local Elks course. Short par 5, about 460 yards shanked my drive into the left trees at about 180. Had to get under many limbs only hanging about 10 foot from the ground, pulled out the Callaway Diablo 3w and was gonna try a punch shot as I had a clear line to the green but had to stay under 10 feet or so for the first 40 yards. Planned on getting into the fairway with a decent pitch shot left to the green, but to my shock the 3w pitch got on the green pin high and 15 feet right. That was the shot of my life so far, downside was I 3 putted for par-downer end to an awesome (in my books at least) shot.

Had only been playing about 6-8 months and went to our home course in college. Was on number 8 and my drive got pulled and hit the first row of tree. On a good drive I normally was about 130 out. Well on that day after hitting the tree the ball kicked back into the fairway but I was 150 out. The wind was behind me at around 10mph so I hit an 8i thinking it would put me on or at least close to the green. Well ball hit on the front and then keep rolling. I watched the ball drop dead center in the cup. I had just made my first eagle and it was on a par 4. I jumped up and down and let out a loud scream. Some single was on the adjacent green and was pissed when I screamed, until he saw me run up and grab my ball from the cup. He gave me a tip of the cap. I have had some eagle since but that shot will continue to be the best I have ever had. Did with a box set of RAM clubs too.

that's tough to say. Just figuring out what qualifies as the best shot is difficult. I holed out from about 150 on a par 4 in a scramble one time for eagle, but since it wasn't entirely my own round, I don't know if I'd go with that. I've hit it stiff on par 3s for tap-in birdies a few times. I don't know why, but for some reason, a 6-iron I hit a few months ago has always stuck with me. I was right side of the fairway on a 420-yard par-4. Skied my drive and got no distance, so I was about 185 out. Big, 40-foot tall tree right in the middle of the fairway that makes you always want to play your tee shot left for the best angle to the green. The pin was back right, so I had a line, but it's narrow, because there are trees lining the right side of the fairway. About a 10-15-yard gap between the big one in the middle and the ones on the right, plus a bunker right in front of the right side of the green. I knew I could get my 6-iron there, but the line would have to be perfect and the contact would have to be good so the ball would get up and land softly. It worked out perfectly. Just carried the edge of the bunker and rolled to about 10 feet. I missed the birdie putt, but I didn't even care, because I pulled off what I thought was an incredibly difficult shot.

Holing out from 160 yards with an 8 iron for my first ever eagle a few years back.

I holed out for an eagle many years ago in Scotland. I had a shot from an elevated fairway and hit 9i. It pitched a few feet past the pin and spun back straight into the hole. I've holed out a few times for eagle since then back that was by far the best shot I've ever hit.

One-hopped about a 150 yard 8 iron in the hole for an eagle on a par 4 years ago.

I'm hoping I haven't hit mine yet, because nothing is really coming to mind. I did hole out for an eagle from about 85yd on a short par 4 earlier this year, but I was playing by myself so it was a bit anticlimactic.

This year at my home course, on the 3rd (little par 4, slight right with water on the right) I duffed the drive out to 200 yds leaving me with 225 to center of green. I thought I would try a little stinger hybrid and hit it perfectly. Cleared the bunker in front of the green and rolled out of sight. I walked up to the green and the ball looked like it was right next to the hole...it was actually leaning against the flagstick! Sweet little eagle!

I have a few fun ones, but the best shot still has to be my only hole in one. 138 yard par 3 down hill, and the pin was tucked in the far back right of the sloped green. My golf partner and I were playing $5 a hole before league and he had already stuck his shot to about a foot it looked. I hit a knock down 8 iron and it looks like its on a pretty good line, it lands 3 ft past the hole and to the right, and spins right back into the hole. I look at him and say "did that really just happen" with his response being "um...I think so" It was april 20th and the course had only been open for like a week.

While I don't have any birdie or eagle stories, I do have a nice lob shot story. It happened on a par five dog leg left, really a brutal hole if you slice right as there are trees and a maintenance house at the turn. I slice one behind a row of trees and right behind the house, typical me. I had two options, hit back towards the tee and play from the FW, or pop it over the house and through the trees. My ego won out and I grabbed my PW, opened the face up as much as I could, aimed left and took a swing. I have never hit a lob shot so cleanly in my life before. The ball went up and over the house and landed on the FW. It was a shame my playing partners didn't see it.

Mine was a shot/putt combo at the #grandaddy.

#8 on the Clive Course, Par 5.

I hit my drive to about 230 out and I pulled my 3 hybrid. Struck it so pure with a little baby fade right to the center of the green. Great shot, but left me a tricky downhill putt down and across a huge tier in the green - about 35 feet. I hit the putt exactly where I was aiming and the putt drops dead center for Eagle. Just an incredible experience. It was done in the presence of Josh, Morgan, Seth (ATLGolfer), and Ethan and Scott from Callaway, so that made it even more memorable.

Holed out from the fairway at 135 yards in 2011.

Despite my wild inconsistency, there are a lot of highlights I can think of (which essentially keep me loving this game even through the bad times). One that really sticks out for me is my tee shot at the Ninth at Yale. It's an intimidating par 3, a +200 yard elevated tee shot over water to a green that has a Biarritz splitting it into two mounds, one in the front and one in the back. The pin was on the front mound, which made it look really bad to get stuck in the Biarritz and have a severe uphill putt.

More often than not, this is the type of shot I swing just to get it over with and fold like a card table. But I thought out where I wanted to end up, stayed relaxed through the swing, and the ball sailed to the center of the green, right where I wanted it.

Considering I had been looking forward to playing this hole for a few years, was able to focus and execute exactly what I wanted to in the face of expectations and intimidation, that one sticks out pretty well.

Back