Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smart TV + Built in Media hub is where it's heading, I think.

And when that happens, I will own one. Nearly eliminate the need for cable services.

That is what Cuban was talking about, however he still says that the new HD sets are here to stay and are impressive.

I would love to see 4K catch on but its going to take massive upgrades in bandwidth to allow for it I imagine.

I would love to see 4K catch on but its going to take massive upgrades in bandwidth to allow for it I imagine.

Very true. Its exactly what they said about HD however and with in a decade it was/is basically the norm. They said DVDs would be around forever and now they are an afterthought. The future is HD content on our calendar beamed directly to our TV, through a broadband connection. And for the most part, the technology is here.

Now we just need a company like Apple to market it correctly so the masses jump in. I say with in 3 years, a lot of what we are looking at right now is not considered the norm in terms of hardware.

Very true. Its exactly what they said about HD however and with in a decade it was/is basically the norm. They said DVDs would be around forever and now they are an afterthought. The future is HD content on our calendar beamed directly to our TV, through a broadband connection. And for the most part, the technology is here.

Now we just need a company like Apple to market it correctly so the masses jump in. I say with in 3 years, a lot of what we are looking at right now is not considered the norm in terms of hardware.

You're right. Look at cell phones. Three years ago our phones had 720P screens and single core processors and were state of the art. The iPad 1 was a revolutionary device. I read today about a $38.00 fully featured Android tablet.

You're right. Look at cell phones. Three years ago our phones had 720P screens and single core processors and were state of the art. The iPad 1 was a revolutionary device. I read today about a $38.00 fully featured Android tablet.

And while technology is changing rapidly, the one area TVs have gone recently is cheaper. Well, that and 3D which has not fully caught on. They are going to push hard for the next big thing and that goes back to why I would not invest heavily in a new set right now. We have talked about going bigger (we have 56" & 110" front PJ), but until I see where the market is headed, I wont do it. I made that mistake once with a Mitsubishi Diamond Series rear projection and I wont do it again.

Yeah. CES last year was pushing hard on 3D and I think its a lost cause. I have a 4 year old 52" Samsung LCD 1080P TV that I am in no hurry to upgrade. I am definitely waiting for the next big thing.

Yeah. CES last year was pushing hard on 3D and I think its a lost cause. I have a 4 year old 52" Samsung LCD 1080P TV that I am in no hurry to upgrade. I am definitely waiting for the next big thing.

You will see at CES this year the push will be 4k and curved. Many of the "experts" say they are here to stay, and most did not say the same thing about 3D. I think we will see a full fledged hub TV with in 12 months too.

You will see at CES this year the push will be 4k and curved. Many of the "experts" say they are here to stay, and most did not say the same thing about 3D. I think we will see a full fledged hub TV with in 12 months too.

I will be on the show floor and would be happy to give everyone an inside view if it was something people would be interested in.

Well my TV just died so it's time for a 65 incher! Anyone buy one recently??

Just bought a 55 for the kids xbox one. Forget brands you have to look at each line within brands. All have winners and losers. Vizio M series consistently ranks higher than their E series for instance.

I bought a LG 7400 series as it was recently rated by a reviewer that I trust as a best gaming tv with passive 3d that supports dual-screen gaming, fast refresh, etc... Plasmas are phenomenal deals these days.

There are so many models. What are your priorities...picture quality, cost, gaming, features like 3D, Smart TV? Look up HD Nation for reviews. Those guys live HDTV and Robert Heron is especially knowledgable.

My last TV was a 40" for my den by a manufacturer called TCL. I was only interested because to was cheap. Turns out with a bit of research it was a Samsung panel so I got a Samsung TV for the most part at knockoff brand prices.

It pays to do some research.

My last TV was a 40" for my den by a manufacturer called TCL. I was only interested because to was cheap. Turns out with a bit of research it was a Samsung panel so I got a Samsung TV for the most part at knockoff brand prices.

It pays to do some research.

I opened up our new bedroom TV (it is a 39" LED that cost less than $300) and it is a Toshiba based on the parts.

I wonder how much of a demand there is for new TVs since the HDTVs are relatively cheap now compared to a few years ago, and most people have already upgraded. I would think that a lot of people would have to see a huge leap forward to upgrade since SD to HD was such a big leap in picture quality.

I also wonder if content providers are wary of newer technology (3D, 4K, etc.) after incurring the costs of having to upgrade their equipment to HD within the past 5-10 years.

I opened up our new bedroom TV (it is a 39" LED that cost less than $300) and it is a Toshiba based on the parts.

So I think I have issues we have a 55" in the bedroom. I like sports to much I think.

So I think I have issues we have a 55" in the bedroom. I like sports to much I think.

We had a 50" in there until a month ago. Its a pretty big bedroom, but it was light stadium lighting.

We had a 50" in there until a month ago. Its a pretty big bedroom, but it was light stadium lighting.

That lighting makes a difference. But I got this LG for $549 on an open box a few months ago with full manufactures warranty. It makes Football and Golf fun to watch. Just wish I was home more lol

Yeah, most TV isn't even in 1080p yet. 4k looks great, but TV broadcasts need to reach 1080p before they can even begin thinking about 4k. I'd love to see 4k be the standard by 2025 but I think there are more hurdles than simply upgrading your television set. The current infrastructure of cable companies can't support 4k broadcasts/transmission

Yeah, most TV isn't even in 1080p yet. 4k looks great, but TV broadcasts need to reach 1080p before they can even begin thinking about 4k. I'd love to see 4k be the standard by 2025 but I think there are more hurdles than simply upgrading your television set. The current infrastructure of cable companies can't support 4k broadcasts/transmission

This is not really accurate. I dont think cable companies will need to do anything nor will broadcast channels. And they certainly wont have to upgrade to 1080p before doing a change if they decide. There wont be a hard cutoff like there was for analog to digital so no sets will be obsolete of course.

What will happen is the change in how we get our products (media) and where it comes from and the source it is. Whether it is the "new" HD or not is to be determined, but the landscape of our media being "broadcasted" is changing rapidly and that was my original thoughts and my post. We are on the very cusp of hardware bringing media to us at our fingertips instead of merely being a display. Hence my thoughts on not making the spend when I normally would, because the hardware is going to be LARGELY different in the next few years.

This is not really accurate. I dont think cable companies will need to do anything nor will broadcast channels. And they certainly wont have to upgrade to 1080p before doing a change if they decide. There wont be a hard cutoff like there was for analog to digital so no sets will be obsolete of course.

What will happen is the change in how we get our products (media) and where it comes from and the source it is. Whether it is the "new" HD or not is to be determined, but the landscape of our media being "broadcasted" is changing rapidly and that was my original thoughts and my post. We are on the very cusp of hardware bringing media to us at our fingertips instead of merely being a display. Hence my thoughts on not making the spend when I normally would, because the hardware is going to be LARGELY different in the next few years.

Being that you are in the media and heavily involved in Technology, what do mean by the hardware bringing media to us?

Must movies and shows are shot in higher definitions, it's the cable/satellite companies that are degrading the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being that you are in the media and heavily involved in Technology, what do mean by the hardware bringing media to us?

Sets will be equipped with broadband service (ability, not bandwidth) to deliver media to you. We are seeing it already with players and hubs. We are less than a year away from seeing sets with this completely built in as well as storage to hold your media.

Sets will be equipped with broadband service (ability, not bandwidth) to deliver media to you. We are seeing it already with players and hubs. We are less than a year away from seeing sets with this completely built in as well as storage to hold your media.

Thought that is what you meant. Thats why it is hard for me to invest now. As that is what is ideal for me.

I think the next "WOW" moment in TV's might be when the flexible screen can create a non-distorted 360* view. The TV goes into the center of the room. The chairs and sofas are surrounding it.

I hope the next big revolution is in content delivery. I rarely watch live TV and dealing with a DVR and settings is annoying. I would like HBOGO type delivery for all of my shows through my AppleTV or mobile device.

I think the next "WOW" moment in TV's might be when the flexible screen can create a non-distorted 360* view. The TV goes into the center of the room. The chairs and sofas are surrounding it.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, the only problem I see with that is are you able to see the entire thing? Like what goes on on the opposite side you're sitting on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not quite sure how that would work, but that would be awesome. If I could move my TV six feet closer, I wouldn't need a 70 or 80 inch TV!

You would need a pretty big room though, Ours is 11 x 17 and I don't think it would work in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back