Wedges - What Makes Them Stand Out To You?

First and foremost, how the wedge looks at address - if I can look down on something with confidence, I'll be better able to hit it. After that, it's the grind, then the shaft pairing.

Probably the only club I'm truly picky when it comes to looks I love a super simplistic look, clean lines, no frills. Just minimalistic in appearance if that makes any sense

For me as I have been getting better I look at aesthetics but in the end its all about results. I like being able to get the grinds I want(thanks for that too THP) and the right bounce. I never new how ignorant I was till I came here.

How it looks when soled, feel and weighting. I have played numerous brands and models, but I have had the most success with Vokey SM/SM4 and Callaway X Forged.

I look for unique sole grinds, different finish. Loving my black oxide ones now. And ones with deeper grooves then standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The majority of my days have been pondering what wedges I want to play in 2014. I upgraded all my other clubs this past season except wedges. I am gravitating towards the Hopkins due to positive reviews on THP and the ablitiy to customize them. I don't think any one brand will work better for my swing so all I'm left with is what looks good. Having AMART and THP on a wedge would look awesome!

honestly, nothing. I mean there are some that catch my eye more but for me it's all about how it performs after I pick it up that matters.

Shape, performance, bounce, leading edge. I love a smallish wedge in a semi teardrop shape with lots of bounce, grind on heel and very slightly raised leading edge.

Tapping from my IPhone

Looks. It's got to look pretty and effective. The face is the place where I need to see the technology, the grooves in Cobra's and Cleveland's wedges look awesome to me. The weight is important, I need to feel the head, and it definitely cannot look clumsy and big.

Performance. I need to demo a club before purchase to make sure that I like the feel, the weight, and the performance for me and my game. I am very happy with what I purchased this year and see them in my bag for many years.

I like a wedge that performs well in all types of places. A little junk in the trunk (large butt or plenty of bounce) seems to work well for me too.

Last edited:
Above average weight, good balance, and feel are top priority. Raw finish is a must, love the rusty look and feel. I like a traditional shape but was pleasantly surprised after playing CG14's constant sole width and heel/toe relief. Very forgiving!
Current set-up: 48* 588 RTX RTG. 54* & 58* are CG14 RTG's.

Something a little on the heavier side with a sole that's not too skinny. A good amount of heel and toe grind goes a long way too.

The look is a big part of the draw for me, the sole of the wedge plays a huge part, I don't like a ton of bounce. Admittedly there has to be some hype from THP for me to even look at any piece of equipment.

The size of the head is very important as is forgiveness. When I look down at a wedge with a larger head it dives me more confidence that I can hit a good shot.

Forged. Give me a forged wedge over a cast one any day. The difference is night and day.

The weight, balance, sole width / bounce, shape and finish I prefer something not chrome or satin.

Forged. Give me a forged wedge over a cast one any day. The difference is night and day.

Here we go. Getting the popcorn.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

For me it's mainly the shape overall, and the weight. Wedges have to be simple for me as well - I don't like a lot of tech aesthetically (although it would probably help me out haha).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Wedges - What Makes Them Stand Out To You?

Spin... You could offer me the most beautiful forged wedge but if I 'm seeing a lot of roll then it seems pointless.

I picked as many sm2 vokeys as I could while they were available. They may not be legal on tour but I doubt I'll be playing professionally before i wear them all out. Being confident that the ball will check up fast even on partial swing shots makes the short game a lot more fun!

I previously played Nike VR Pro Forged and before that Cleveland 588 Forged and the feel on impact between them and my cast Vokeys are pretty well un-noticable but i see way higher spin rate with the non conforming grooves.

I've only owned two different wedges 588f and hopkins and I prefer the smaller sole the majority of the time on the 588's.

I look for good feed back and ability to manipulate the shot and face open.

With a gap & sand wedge (51* & 55* for me) I have not seen much difference from one to the next. Cleveland, SCOR, Nike, whatever. The money shots for me come from my 59*. I like to be able to lay it flat open, without the leading edge popping up. So low bounce or multiple bounce on this club. I want a smaller head than some of the shovel-looking wedges out there. I do like all the extra swirling/scoring/scruffing of the faces that so many offer. Unsure if it helps, may be a placebo effect, but I like it.

Weight and leading edge's location at setup. Also, Bob Vokey.

I'd be lying if I said anything but looks draws me to wedges. It won't be the only reason why I purchase one, but it's the first thing I consider when looking for them. The wedges I like the look of more will be the ones I gravitate to and test first.

Back