Snowboarding: Who does it?

jspangs

Reaction score
Handicap
Well living in Michigan my golf season is relatively short so I'm looking to pick up a winter hobby. So snowboarding it is. Only thing is I don't know anything about the different equipment so I was hoping to get some input on what some goods that are good and which ones to watch out for.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I tried it once and ended up walking down the mountain to get my skis. Going straight was fine, but turning either way was a face or back plant and never saw any of them coming...lol. Good luck and stay in one piece!

I've been snowboarding one time in my life. Nagano japan. Where the 98 winter Olympics were held. I learned a lot about myself that day.
1) picking yourself up is soft powder for 7 hours will work out every muscle in your body.
2) going down the wrong slope too fast proves the theory that snow turns into concrete when you fall.
3) getting off the lift and falling is always funny to those watching.
4) hot chocolate never tasted so good.
5) it's an amazing sport and I salute all that are good at it.. for me I'll stick to golf..

I tried it once and ended up walking down the mountain to get my skis. Going straight was fine, but turning either way was a face or back plant and never saw any of them coming...lol. Good luck and stay in one piece!

I'm hoping my past skateboarding experience helps me with the learning curve.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I used to snowboard but just for a season or two. Wasn't really good and got tired of eating more snow than food that day. I'd love to try my hand at it again.

I used to snowboard but just for a season or two. Wasn't really good and got tired of eating more snow than food that day. I'd love to try my hand at it again.

Well there are plenty of places in the area we will have to try and get together.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I've snowboarded for years!!!

Snowboarded for years growing up. What information are you looking for?

Well anything you think I should I know about. What brands are good what brands to stay away from what stiffness of boots do I need, etc.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I can help here. I would start, if you plan to buy gear, with an all mountain board. They tend to be nimble enough to be easy to control while stiff enough to handle the crappy choppy icy conditions in MI. What length depends entirely on your weight. My preferred decks are the arbor coda and the neversummer SL. Both are about 500. The SL is my daily cruiser. Both Rome and capita make really nice mid price decks for 300-400. Just be sure to read into each model so you know you're getting the right stick. You'll see a lot about different camber and reverse camber techs, don't get too caught up in that side of things at this point.

Rome and Union make my favorite bindings. The targa from Rome is a great all around and fully adjustable binding.

Boots are less about tech that just plain comfort. Your foot has to be happy, and that all that really matters.

I try to stay away from Burton because they try to make you buy everything Burton with their proprietary binding mount systems and whatnot.

A good reference is www.snowboardingforum.com

Lots of great reviews and very helpful people.

Hope this is of some help to ya

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I love snowboarding. I had to get rid of mine when I moved to Boston and since I moved back I just haven't replaced it. I think it's a crime being so close to the Canadian Rockies and not taking advantage of them. I was always partial to Sims and Prior Boards myself. I started to become a fan of step in bindings because most of my friends were skiers and it was easier and faster to strap in. Like Falcon said boots is all about comfort and warmth. Have fun dude.

I love snowboarding. I had to get rid of mine when I moved to Boston and since I moved back I just haven't replaced it. I think it's a crime being so close to the Canadian Rockies and not taking advantage of them. I was always partial to Sims and Prior Boards myself. I started to become a fan of step in bindings because most of my friends were skiers and it was easier and faster to strap in. Like Falcon said boots is all about comfort and warmth. Have fun dude.

I was looking at the K2 cinch bindings as they look easy get in and out of.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I can help here. I would start, if you plan to buy gear, with an all mountain board. They tend to be nimble enough to be easy to control while stiff enough to handle the crappy choppy icy conditions in MI. What length depends entirely on your weight. My preferred decks are the arbor coda and the neversummer SL. Both are about 500. The SL is my daily cruiser. Both Rome and capita make really nice mid price decks for 300-400. Just be sure to read into each model so you know you're getting the right stick. You'll see a lot about different camber and reverse camber techs, don't get too caught up in that side of things at this point.

Rome and Union make my favorite bindings. The targa from Rome is a great all around and fully adjustable binding.

Boots are less about tech that just plain comfort. Your foot has to be happy, and that all that really matters.

I try to stay away from Burton because they try to make you buy everything Burton with their proprietary binding mount systems and whatnot.

A good reference is www.snowboardingforum.com

Lots of great reviews and very helpful people.

Hope this is of some help to ya

I did the Burton board finder and it said 157 or 157w as the board for me. My question is how important is it to get that size or is there wiggle room?

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I did the Burton board finder and it said 157 or 157w as the board for me. My question is how important is it to get that size or is there wiggle room?

Keep Calm and Golf On.

There is certainly wiggle room and it depends on the type of riding you will be doing. An all mountain board would be best for you IMHO. It's just like golf, going into a shop and finding someone who knows what's up is the best thing to do. As far as brands, I could not endorse Never Summer enough. I have a Proto CT and it is literally the best purchase I have ever made when it comes to snowboarding. Bindings are very personal and are also specific to the type of riding you will be doing.

Having skateboarding in your history will help you with balance and don't get frustrated when you fall. It took me a solid day on the mountain to be able to link turns. Also, your legs are going to get rocked (your arms will too at first because you'll be pushing yourself up a lot) I was in very good shape when I first tried snowboarding and I woke up the next morning hurting in spots I didn't even know I could hurt in.

Snowboarding (and skiing) is something I have never done but would love to try it someday if I get the chance

Keep Calm and Golf On.

For an all mountain board, you have about 3cm in each direction. What size shoe do you wear? I wouldn't go wide unless you wear an 11 or larger. Considering your terrain, id stay between 156-158. That would give you good versatility in all aspects of riding. Too short and you d get buried in any kind of deep snow, too long and you ll struggle if you venture into the park.

1. Burton Board Finder is a joke, type your specs up here and I give you a better recommendation.

2. SnowboardingForum.com is a joke. If you want a real, solid forum, and you aren't afraid of a little new member hazing, easyloungin.com is the place to go.

3. I too, am from GR and am selling a pair of my Union Force bindings this year which might fit you.

I really like Capita and Union stuff. I ride a '11 Capita Indoor Survival and '14 Union Contact Pros. Burton makes good gear but is too expensive and their EST/ICS/Channel system is gimmicky. Rome makes ok stuff, but I'd buy Capita/Union over them and Mervin (Lib Tech, GNU...) makes good boards but they are very expensive and have weird camber profiles.

Where are you going to be riding at? Being in Michigan you won't need a true all mountain board. A Michigan all mountain board is more like a freestyle board. Something like a Capita DOA with Union Forces should be a perfect fit.

Also, don't you dare think about buying "easy in/out" bindings like flows or any ski-brand binding. Just don't. It's the equivalent of buying like powerbuilt golfclubs. Also, don't buy from a big box store like dicks or mc. Go down to W3 on 29th st.

I have a few boards here, if you want a quick and cheap starting kit, I could send you something, depending on your size (shoes, weight)...

that said, unless you are planning to spend you time in the snow parks, Buying anything but Flow bindings would be a foolish choice IMO, they are the most comfortable and the faster to clip in, co more sitting down to clip your fixes.

my personal favorite setup would always be a never summer/Flow

1. Burton Board Finder is a joke, type your specs up here and I give you a better recommendation.

2. SnowboardingForum.com is a joke. If you want a real, solid forum, and you aren't afraid of a little new member hazing, easyloungin.com is the place to go.

3. I too, am from GR and am selling a pair of my Union Force bindings this year which might fit you.

I really like Capita and Union stuff. I ride a '11 Capita Indoor Survival and '14 Union Contact Pros. Burton makes good gear but is too expensive and their EST/ICS/Channel system is gimmicky. Rome makes ok stuff, but I'd buy Capita/Union over them and Mervin (Lib Tech, GNU...) makes good boards but they are very expensive and have weird camber profiles.

Where are you going to be riding at? Being in Michigan you won't need a true all mountain board. A Michigan all mountain board is more like a freestyle board. Something like a Capita DOA with Union Forces should be a perfect fit.

Also, don't you dare think about buying "easy in/out" bindings like flows or any ski-brand binding. Just don't. It's the equivalent of buying like powerbuilt golfclubs. Also, don't buy from a big box store like dicks or mc. Go down to W3 on 29th st.

All mountain boards are easier to learn on. Go too freestyly and the learning curve is steeper. Union Forces are great bindings but prob a bit too soft for someone just starting out. Although I ride Colorado now, I grew up riding in PA so I know your conditions well. Rome 390s are my personal favs but being that the Targa's stiffness is fully adjustable, it gives a lot more wiggle room to provide a more personal fit.

I agree on the easy in bindings but don't agree on sending someone someplace they ll have to deal with gazing just to get a little info

I have a few boards here, if you want a quick and cheap starting kit, I could send you something, depending on your size (shoes, weight)...

that said, unless you are planning to spend you time in the snow parks, Buying anything but Flow bindings would be a foolish choice IMO, they are the most comfortable and the faster to clip in, co more sitting down to clip your fixes.

my personal favorite setup would always be a never summer/Flow
No. no. no. no. no. There is a reason hardly anyone rides flows. There is no way you can get near as good of a fit with kick in bindings like that. Not to mention performance. What has flow done to reduce dead zones in the board? What has flow done to create progressive highback flexes? Canting systems? I don't even know what to say other than don't buy flow style bindings- they are so far behind in tech no true snowboarder would ever use those. As far as Never Summer, there boards are decent. Terrible graphics and poor camber profiles (try and force hybrid blends)- more of a ski brand image despite never making skis.

No. no. no. no. no. There is a reason hardly anyone rides flows. There is no way you can get near as good of a fit with kick in bindings like that. Not to mention performance. What has flow done to reduce dead zones in the board? What has flow done to create progressive highback flexes? Canting systems? I don't even know what to say other than don't buy flow style bindings- they are so far behind in tech no true snowboarder would ever use those. As far as Never Summer, there boards are decent. Terrible graphics and poor camber profiles (try and force hybrid blends)- more of a ski brand image despite never making skis.

Wrong. NeverSummer are some of the best boards on the market. They set the trend for the combo camber profile. Their dampening system just eats up chop and crude. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good. There is a reason that NS rarely, if ever, goes on sale. Ride out in CO and you'll tons of NS out here. Ski brand image? Now that's a joke. And nobody should ever, EVER, but a board based on graphics

Wrong. NeverSummer are some of the best boards on the market. They set the trend for the combo camber profile. Their dampening system just eats up chop and crude. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good. There is a reason that NS rarely, if ever, goes on sale

Combo Camber was a bad fad and true camber will always be king. NS graphics are trash, and while that doesn't affect how they perform, you can't deny that it is still important. Just look at how many people are riding NS versus other companies and their growth. Right now I can confidently say Capita is the fastest growing company which is definitely saying something.

I guess is what I'm trying to say is sure, they aren't bad by any means, but they certainly are not "a brand to watch"

I do think snowboards are like golf clubs, you need to try them and get a good fit. I've tried most brands of boards and bindings and my NS Raptor X will do it, it is just a great board for me, I like em stout. Plus, the flow NX2-SE I ride is the best fit of all the binding that I've tried, once again, for me, and I've tried a lot.

as far as graphics go, it doesnt matter, chose the right fit as far as the feeling you get on it, then if there is a tie, go with graphics as a tie breaker. I am glad tho that I fell in love with the NS because the second best was a capita, and I hated the looks.

Combo Camber was a bad fad and true camber will always be king. NS graphics are trash, and while that doesn't affect how they perform, you can't deny that it is still important. Just look at how many people are riding NS versus other companies and their growth. Right now I can confidently say Capita is the fastest growing company which is definitely saying something.

I guess is what I'm trying to say is sure, they aren't bad by any means, but they certainly are not "a brand to watch"

You have nothing to base that opinion on. Camber is your preference but ill never ride it again. Camber is basically dead out here outside of the pipe. Come out to Aspen and see how many NS boards are on the mountain. As many if not more than capita. Over the last 3 years their market share has increased 60%. My SL is the most playful, responsive board I've ever ridden, and I've been on boards from every major company out there. It's a true quiver killer. But no, graphics aren't really important at all. They are a sales tool. That's it. Capita is a great company, I recommend them all the time as a great price point-mid level performance option for those who don't want to shell out top dollar but its definitely an apples to.oranges comparison. Both companies have different target demographics though and that steers their decisiong making accordingly. Just please don't put down a fantastic and successsful company because it just not for you.

Back