Not open for further replies.
Potential setup for MC

Driver: Undecided
FW: 5Deep
Hybo: X2Hot Pro 20°
Irons: Apex 5i-7i, Apex Pro 8i-AW
Wedges: MD2 54°, 58°
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

That's only 13 clubs. Not sure if I want a wedge over 60° or maybe throw in another Hybo at 23°. Either way, that setup has me EXCITED.

Potential setup for MC

Hybo: XHot Pro 20°

That's only 13 clubs. Not sure if I want a wedge over 60° or maybe throw in another Hybo at 23°. Either way, that setup has me EXCITED.

Not talking specific clubs, but that's basically my setup if you add an extra wedge and make the hybrid 23 instead of 20. I like it quite a bit.

Orange Whip or maybe a 2 & 3 hybo of some sort.

Potential setup for MC

The X2Hot hybos are unreal man. I think you will enjoy 2 of them

I've always wanted an orange whip.

Potential setup for MC

Hybo: XHot Pro 20°

That just looks unbelievable! And your decision is an interesting one. I've never had much luck with +60° wedges, nor have I had much success with 4 hybrids. Guess you'd have to take into consideration the courses your playing, how you plan on playing them, and what type of shots you might need from either of those options. Good thing you have some experience with those places...!

Not talking specific clubs, but that's basically my setup if you add an extra wedge and make the hybrid 23 instead of 20. I like it quite a bit.

gapping is a bit of an issue with the apexes right now. 5i sits at 24°, what I could do, is get the 5-7 bent 1-2° weaker, that way the gap between the pros and apexes would not be as bad between the 7 and 8 iron, then that 23° X2Hot would slide in perfectly.

Potential setup for MC

I like it.

Is the plan to have the 5Deep as your alternative club from the tee? If so, maybe you look into the 18* and 20* hybrids. I wouldn't sleep on the BB FWs, either. They were very, very nice.

gapping is a bit of an issue with the apexes right now. 5i sits at 24°, what I could do, is get the 5-7 bent 1-2° weaker, that way the gap between the pros and apexes would not be as bad between the 7 and 8 iron, then that 23° X2Hot would slide in perfectly.

You'll hit the hybrid farther I bet.

That just looks unbelievable! And your decision is an interesting one. I've never had much luck with +60° wedges, nor have I had much success with 4 hybrids. Guess you'd have to take into consideration the courses your playing, how you plan on playing them, and what type of shots you might need from either of those options. Good thing you have some experience with those places...!

I agree, I was just throwing ideas out there, but I already don't like the idea of having a wedge over 58°.

"Three orange whips."
9equ2e7e.jpg

Used it with my coach a few weeks back and have been pondering one ever since.

The fitter at ECPC generally said that he didn't like combo sets between the Apex and Pros (just his preference). But, he suggested making the change at the 6/7.

If you haven't hit the Apex yet, try them before settling in on the combo set. I was certain that I would be a "pro" guy (because I'm so effing elite), and then I was certain that I would be a "combo" guy (again, because I'm so effing elite). In the end, though, I realized that a full Apex set was the way to go for me. Just too easy to hit well, and they look and feel so awesome.

I wouldn't overlook the X2Hot Pros either. To me, they have the length of the Apex in a more compact look.

I like it.

Is the plan to have the 5Deep as your alternative club from the tee? If so, maybe you look into the 18* and 20* hybrids. I wouldn't sleep on the BB FWs, either. They were very, very nice.

Yes, I am going to play around with it in the practice rounds, lots of holes on True Blue it could be used on to set up different approaches. For sure will get used at Caledonia. Going to be dropping quite a few balls during practice rounds and doing some things.

I just need to hit these dang things.

I am bettin you are right.

I wouldn't overlook the X2Hot Pros either. To me, they have the length of the Apex in a more compact look.

January and February are going to be awesome months.

Yes they are!

You calling my irons chunky? I will fight you right here and now, Sir.

I did like the X2HotPros. I really liked the X2Hot Pro Hybrid, which to me was the surprise of the club testing. I've never really enjoyed hybrids until I hit that club.

You calling my irons chunky? I will fight you right here and now, Sir.

I did like the X2HotPros. I really liked the X2Hot Pro Hybrid, which to me was the surprise of the club testing. I've never really enjoyed hybrids until I hit that club.

You've never fought anything other than a case of the drips.

Yes, I am going to play around with it in the practice rounds, lots of holes on True Blue it could be used on to set up different approaches. For sure will get used at Caledonia. Going to be dropping quite a few balls during practice rounds and doing some things.

I just need to hit these dang things.

My only concern with the *Deep line is their versatility. I really like hitting FWs off the deck, and I have a lot of trouble doing it with the Deep woods.

I know some don't like hitting tee balls with shallow-faced FWs, but I have no issues. The BB 3W, in particular, is a monster off of the tee. (Possibly even longer than my current 3W, which seems hard to believe.)

You've never fought anything other than a case of the drips.

It was in Cancun!! That totally doesn't count.

My only concern with the *Deep line is their versatility. I really like hitting FWs off the deck, and I have a lot of trouble doing it with the Deep woods.

I know some don't like hitting tee balls with shallow-faced FWs, but I have no issues. The BB 3W, in particular, is a monster off of the tee. (Possibly even longer than my current 3W, which seems hard to believe.)

You had a nice thing going with that BB 3W. Really nice.

I'm with you on the Deeps. Pretty one dimensional for me. For a guy like Kevin, who somehow hits it 270 yards off the turf - not so one dimensional.

I was going to say this, don't just look at the loft numbers. You have to remember that the shaft length on the hybrid will be a good bit longer than the corresponding iron.

For a while I played a 5 iron at 24 degrees and a "5 hybrid" at 23.5 degrees, had a 10-15 yard gap in between those clubs because the shaft on the hybrid was at least an inch longer than the iron.

I don't know how Kevin does that. But, it's fun to watch.

BB for me all day, though. I did not think that I would see a time soon when the elitist FWs were pulled from the bag. But, it may have happened. I want to see the on-course results, but the range session was very eye-opening for the BB 3W and X2Hot Pro 18*. Cannot wait to get those in hand.

Potential setup for MC

I like this a lot. I think your best bet would be to play to your strengths. If you are better around the greens add that last wedge. If you find yourself a long ways from the hole a lot and are pretty solid with your long game, add that last hybrid.

You really can't go wrong either way the best thing is to not second guess yourself though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back