#TheGrandaddy Recap Thread & Special Announcement

I'm actually contemplating the same thing right now... I've been trying different clubs with the TT DG S300 (130g) in them and love the heavier weight. I'd go with the KBS but I can get the s300 for a song and would rather save some money going into 2014.

The Nippons and the DG's both weighed 130g, but the Nippons felt so much better. The S300s felt extremely boardy compared to the Modus Tour 130s.

The Nippons and the DG's both weighed 130g, but the Nippons felt so much better. The S300s felt extremely boardy compared to the Modus Tour 130s.

Interesting. .. I've never hit Nippons

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

Interesting. .. I've never hit Nippons

Neither had I until the fitting.

Found a great writeup on them from MGS

http://www.mygolfspy.com/nipppon-modus-3-tour-130-iron-shaft-review/

"The starkest difference between a Nippon shaft and any other steel shaft on the market is feel. There’s a crisp and clean feel that is the signature of a Nippon, and no other steel shaft that I’ve tried can match it. The Modus3 Tour 130 is no exception.It should also be noted that the balance point of the Modus3 Tour 130 is higher than Dynamic Gold, leading to a club that feels lighter than it is."

Neither had I until the fitting.

I'll have to see if I can find some around here. Also saw you have the whiteboard in your woods... love that shaft! I've had in I'm my AMP cell all year.

Last edited:
Cmon guys, lets try to keep this thread about THP and Callaway. Linking to other sites for shaft reviews in this thread?

Here will be the newest and greatest WITB for 2014.

Big Bertha Alpha - Fubuki K
3Deep 14.5° - Fubuki K
5Deep 18.5° - AD-Di7x
H2Hot 20° hybrid - AD-DI8x
Apex Pros - 4-PW w/ KBS tours
MD2 54° - shelf grind w/ KBS Hi-Rev
MD2 58° - U grind w/ KBS Hi-Rev
Metal X Milled 9HT

So excited to put this setup in the bag and get to the course.

Just looking back at this setup, and the _Deep woods really stood out for me.

Do you hit them well off of the deck, or will you stick to the hybrid for those shots? 3Deep and 5Deep is a beefy combo!

Watching Kevin hit the "Deep" woods off the deck was one of my favorite parts of the range session/fitting. The way he just launched the ball was just unreal.

Just looking back at this setup, and the _Deep woods really stood out for me.

Do you hit them well off of the deck, or will you stick to the hybrid for those shots? 3Deep and 5Deep is a beefy combo!

Oh no. I will be hitting them off the deck. That 5Deep is so easy to hit off the deck. The 3Deep will most likely be more off the tee but it's pretty easy to hit off the deck as well.

And days when I am playing a shorter course the driver will likely come out and a wedge will take its place.

WITB grandaddy Style

Big Bertha Alpha fubuki K60
X2hot 2 Deep Fubuki k70 tipped 1 1/2 inches
Xh2hot 5 Deep Fubuki K70 tipped 1 1/2 inches
Apex Pro True Temper Dynamic Gold x100
Mack Daddy 2 Wedges 50 standard grind 56 c grind 64

All with 3gen R.E.L blue grips with 2 additional wraps.

Metal X Milled Rossi 34" 70degree

I'm loving all the "Deep" love. I think the 2 or 3 deep with be a very real option for my game next season as a driver replacement. Any thoughts on distance number with the 3 and 5 deep?

If they offered the 5Deep in LH I think I would have chosen it but alas they don't

I'm loving all the "Deep" love. I think the 2 or 3 deep with be a very real option for my game next season as a driver replacement. Any thoughts on distance number with the 3 and 5 deep?

I was hitting the 5Deep off the deck about 230 or so. And at the ECPC the yardages are about 10-15 yards shorter than normal. That should give you a good idea as to how awesome these clubs are. I was hitting the X2hot 4w (17° compared to 18.5°) only 10 yards longer.

I was hitting the 5Deep off the deck about 230 or so. And at the ECPC the yardages are about 10-15 yards shorter than normal. That should give you a good idea as to how awesome these clubs are. I was hitting the X2hot 4w (17° compared to 18.5°) only 10 yards longer.
Maybe I missed or skimmed it, but where does the 10-15 yards shortage come from? Distance controlled range balls?

I couldn't tell distance wise with the 5 deep really. But it was a blast to hit, off the deck or tee didn't matter really. I'm seriously excited to put this in the bag!

Maybe I missed or skimmed it, but where does the 10-15 yards shortage come from? Distance controlled range balls?

I think it was more sea level issues, and a predominate head wind from the Pacific, although not strong, was what we were told by the fitters. The Range balls were not an issue.... Chrome + and Hex Black Tours if I remember correctly....

They were not distance controlled range balls. I think the distance loss was caused by hitting the balls at sea level. One of the fitters also said that there is typically a slight breeze that blows into the range.

When I put my current 6i on the LM, the distance was between 5-10 yards less.

Interesting (and funny) tidbit about "distance controlled" range balls. When Kevin, Ryan and I hit the range at the course near our hotel on Sunday, the range used distance controlled balls. (I think the range was only about 300 yards long.) Ryan's claim to fame that day was that he "outdrove" me on the range. I let him know who the reigning champ was during the Tuesday rounds, though.

Kevin is right. Sorry Kyle, been golfing for the night and just now had a chance to look at this.

I think it was more sea level issues, and a predominate head wind from the Pacific, although not strong, was what we were told by the fitters. The Range balls were not an issue.... Chrome + and Hex Black Tours if I remember correctly....

The Chromes were Chrome ++ -- I didn't know if the extra "+" indicated that it was a range ball or that it was a newer version of the Chrome+. After learning about the SR balls, I suspect the Chrome++ was not a new line of ball.

Or something that didn't quite make it to retail

I'm still fascinated by adjusting to the local conditions. Just another variable to worry about. I saw it when going to myrtle last year. But have never played on the west coast!

Very interesting. I've been working a lot at hitting 3/5w off the deck. It's a shot I didn't have up until recently and I look forward to trying both the standard X2hot 3/5w and 3/5Deep.

Very interesting. I've been working a lot at hitting 3/5w off the deck. It's a shot I didn't have up until recently and I look forward to trying both the standard X2hot 3/5w and 3/5Deep.

If you are looking for something to hit off the deck easier, go with the X2hot 3w over the 3Deep. The 5deep will be good off the deck or the tee. That is my take though. I highly encourage you to try both and see what works for you.

Love seeing all the future WITBs here today with all the different but equally great ways that someone can construct a set given the multitude of lines Callaway is providing this coming year. I can't wait to see some of these sticks in person when the time comes because there really is something for everyone.

Love seeing all the future WITBs here today with all the different but equally great ways that someone can construct a set given the multitude of lines Callaway is providing this coming year. I can't wait to see some of these sticks in person when the time comes because there really is something for everyone.

Donne you are going to love the new stuff coming out. That Xhot you have will be dust in the wind when you swing the new line. I think you will be very happy with your game when the dust settles.

Back