2013 Denver Broncos: Best Offense Ever?

You guys are missing the question I asked to begin this thread. I didn't ask if this was the best team ever. I asked if this was the best offense ever

i'll be the contrarian and say yes IF they continue to go at this pace, it's hard to deny they'll be the best offense ever. It's hard to say direct apples to apples as rule changes have made it hard to do a direct comparison from era to era. Obviously 5 weeks in, it's hard to see if they do continue at this pace. I thought the same thing about the 2007 Patriots but they definitely lost some steam towards the end.

Looking forward to Denver vs. KC twice this season.

In my opinion--No, this is not the best offense ever. Right now it is on pace to be one of the best PASSING offenses ever. They have a cruddy running offense and without that element then I do not believe they can be considered one of the best offenses ever. All the other usual suspects had good running games as well. In my opinion.

That's a good question. A very good one. To me it's a combination of both. A great receiver can make a good qb look great. A great quarterback can make a receiver shine. But overall if the qb can't hit a spot or thread a needle between double and triple coverage there's still no play

A great receiver can only help a quarterback if the quarterback is good enough to throw a catchable ball. The receiver can't help a quarterback if the ball is poorly thrown. A great quarterback can put the ball where only the receiver can get it. He can make it as easy as possible for an average receiver to make a catch. I think that the quarterback trumps the receiver.

In my opinion--No, this is not the best offense ever. Right now it is on pace to be one of the best PASSING offenses ever. They have a cruddy running offense and without that element then I do not believe they can be considered one of the best offenses ever. All the other usual suspects had good running games as well. In my opinion.

Denver is 11th in rushing offense, that isn't exactly "cruddy". They are a modern style team which uses the pass to open up the running game. Both of Denver's primary running backs also catch the ball well, so they fill in as yet another passing weapon, so running alone isn't necessarily the best measurement. The offensive line is obviously oriented toward pass protection (which they do very well - note the lack of mention of Demarcus Ware yesterday even with Clady out for the season), not as much to rush blocking. Also a key is that several of the teams above Denver in rushing have quarterbacks with rather gaudy run stats, something which is never going to be part of Manning's game.

Averaging 46 points per game, they are the best offense ever through the first five games. That might actually drop a bit next week when they play the Jaguars, since they could be accused of running up the score against a team as hapless as Jacksonville seems to be. If they jump out to a big lead, they could possibly curb Peyton a bit - even rest him at the end. That remains to be seen though.

You guys are missing the question I asked to begin this thread. I didn't ask if this was the best team ever. I asked if this was the best offense ever
I answered all of the questions. Whether you or many agree with me remains to be seen, but I did answer!

You can't name the "best ever". Not best team, not best offense, defense, quarterback, running back, or any other position. Too many variables, from era to era: rules, equipment, players, etc. You can say "one of the best ever" and not many will argue. They did things differently from era to era to ever say "best ever". Same as any sport. You can have experts giving their so-called expert opinion, but in the end, that's all it is and all it will ever be. An opinion. When players didn't line up against each other, who's to say with absolute certainty, who was the best?

Peyton Manning is/was one of the best quarterbacks ever, regardless of what happens from here on out. But that's all.

So using your parameters then the 1981/82 Denver Nuggets are the best offensive team ever in the NBA since they scored the most points in a season in NBA history (lost in 1st round of playoffs). Better offense than Showtime or Celtics of 80s or Bulls teams. In MLB that makes the 1931 Yankees as best offense ever even though they didn't even win the pennant. To heck with the Big Red Machine or Yankees of the late 1990s. Once again, the Broncos are very prolific scoring offense. Not best ever---yet.

Figured I would bump this thread. Congrats Peyton

51 TD's - 200 yards away from the yardage record. Also The team is within reach of the single season scoring record. Lots of things going on in this one. A topping it off, the longest FG ever in the NFL.

Fun season so far for Bronco fans, but there are still the playoffs to get through with a very inconsistent defense. The verdict is in for the offense, but I think that the rest is still a hung jury. I'm a Denver fan, but I'm not blind.

I'm happy for him. No question in my mind that he's an all time great, even if his career ends with one Super Bowl.

OFFICIAL: Most points ever by an offense is now Denver this year with 596, and their game today is still in the first half.

That's a lot of points!

OFFICIAL: Most points ever by an offense is now Denver this year with 596, and their game today is still in the first half.

For the most part they make it look easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lot of points!

You said a mouthful. And Manning sat out the second half today, or it could have been even more. He only set the yardage mark by a single yard, so that is not out of reach for someone in the future of the pass happy NFL. The 55 TD's is 4 more than the previous record - maybe a bit more challenge. It's also the first time any team has passed 600 points in a season.

NFL Records:

Team - 606 Points; 76 TD's

Manning - 5477 yards passing - 55 TD's

Prater - 64 yard FG - Most extra points in a season. 71 of 71 at ESPN.com but I don't think that counts today. He had 4 more today. He's more than 20 ahead of the runner up this season.

Peyton is an elite QB and a very humble individual.
QUOTE=lambro2;2662667]I'm happy for him. No question in my mind that he's an all time great, even if his career ends with one Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

I might be rethinking my stance on this.

Lets just see them perform in cold weather. They are not going to play another game indoors or in warm weather.

As a Broncos fan, this year has seemed almost like watching a video game at times. I just hope we can keep Manning upright and those cold weather issues dont suddenly arise. Cannot wait for the playoffs this weekend to see who we will get in the 2nd Round.

I think this thread title needs to be changed. Remove those question marks!

I might be rethinking my stance on this.

Lets just see them perform in cold weather. They are not going to play another game indoors or in warm weather.

Well, for 2 years Manning has been playing outside in Denver, pushing and breaking records all the way. One win this year the temp was about 10° at kickoff. We won in KC in December which is notoriously difficult. I don't see cold as being the issue. All of our playoff games will be in Denver, and although it can be cold, it is usually fairly dry. It's sloppy weather that seems to be more of a problem, not cold.

Well, for 2 years Manning has been playing outside in Denver, pushing and breaking records all the way. One win this year the temp was about 10° at kickoff. We won in KC in December which is notoriously difficult. I don't see cold as being the issue. All of our playoff games will be in Denver, and although it can be cold, it is usually fairly dry. It's sloppy weather that seems to be more of a problem, not cold.

How did that game in Fox Borough go when Payton couldn't throw the ball 10 yards into the wind?

How did that game in Fox Borough go when Payton couldn't throw the ball 10 yards into the wind?

"Payton" didn't play in that game. Not to mention "Payton" never really threw the ball that much in his career. He was more of a runner.

^

620px-Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

"Payton" didn't play in that game. Not to mention "Payton" never really threw the ball that much in his career. He was more of a runner.

Hahahahaha!

Now that was funny.

These threads just make me shake my head. It reminds me of why I try stick to the golf talk. Less insanity.

Wasnt really just coming off as trying to be a badass. I was just poking fun. Didnt think you would take it so serious.

Back