DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Philip said, It's a nice Hotel and the course is OK. I try and get over to it a few times a year. Sometimes it is in really good shape and fun to play. Other times, I would have rather spend my money somewhere else. There are to many decent courses in the area to go there to often. Right up the road is Robson Ranch, which is quite a fun course. Tour 18 is about 10 minutes from that hotel and Bridlewood is 10 minutes farther down the road from Tour 18. Now that is a nice course, IMO. You have Sky Creek about 15 minutes south east of the hotel, easy to get to, and you have Fossil Creek straight down 35w about 20 minutes from the hotel (15 min. if the construction traffic is not to bad). If you have any questions, give a shout.
What can ya all tell me about this place & the deal..good bad?
Stay at The Dallas/Fort Worth Marriott Hotel & Golf Club at Champions Circle in Fort Worth, TX, with Dates into March
http://gr.pn/1hV1iV6

As Philip said, It's a nice Hotel and the course is OK. I try and get over to it a few times a year. Sometimes it is in really good shape and fun to play. Other times, I would have rather spend my money somewhere else. There are to many decent courses in the area to go there to often. Right up the road is Robson Ranch, which is quite a fun course. Tour 18 is about 10 minutes from that hotel and Bridlewood is 10 minutes farther down the road from Tour 18. Now that is a nice course, IMO. You have Sky Creek about 15 minutes south east of the hotel, easy to get to, and you have Fossil Creek straight down 35w about 20 minutes from the hotel (15 min. if the construction traffic is not to bad). If you have any questions, give a shout.

Agree with Eddie - you are far better options than Champions Circle - the course is hit or miss and mostly miss from a condition standpoint. Each of the options above would be a better venue for your game.

Had a good time at Coyote Ridge today. Brian & Jeff were a lot of fun to play with. Man were some of the greens slick. I four putted a par five thanks to an uphill putt that kept rolling back to my feet. I shouldn't complain though, I got lucky & ran in 60+ ft & 50+ ft putts to save par on a couple of holes.

I was even par going into #6, but then managed to put it in every bunker on the hole & came out with a triple. #9 into the wind was not an easy hole either. Didn't pay attention to the cart GPS & went long & right into a pond by the green. Oops.

I also had a couple of wind assited monster drives (for me anyway) on the par fives (2 & 4). Left myself with 165 & 138 yard and 2nd shots. Birdied both. :D

Long story short, it was a great day. Even with the fire delay (that was a first). Reason # 542 not to smoke. Dry grass is very flamable.

Here's a couple of pics a took:

Brian & Jeff in the cart:
xlb41y.jpg

Cookie marking his approach on 18:
nv6t0h.jpg

Had a good time at Coyote Ridge today. Brian & Jeff were a lot of fun to play with. Man were some of the greens slick. I four putted a par five thanks to an uphill putt that kept rolling back to my feet. I shouldn't complain though, I got lucky & ran in 60+ ft & 50+ ft putts to save par on a couple of holes.

I was even par going into #6, but then managed to put it in every bunker on the hole & came out with a triple. #9 into the wind was not an easy hole either. Didn't pay attention to the cart GPS & went long & right into a pond by the green. Oops.

I also had a couple of wind assited monster drives (for me anyway) on the par fives (2 & 4). Left myself with 165 & 138 yard and 2nd shots. Birdied both. :D

Long story short, it was a great day. Even with the fire delay (that was a first). Reason # 542 not to smoke. Dry grass is very flamable.

Here's a couple of pics a took:

Brian & Jeff in the cart:
xlb41y.jpg

Cookie marking his approach on 18:
nv6t0h.jpg

How did the putter work for you Tom?

How did the putter work for you Tom?
The greens were so slick I decided not to use it. It's much lighter than my current gamer, so I feel like I have to stroke it a lot harder to get the same distance as I do from my gamer. That's not something I wanted to try out on fast greens.

Once I get a new shaft/grip on it & get the weight up where I'm comfortable with it, I'm sure I'll like it.

I had 14 putts on the front w/ one three jack & 17 on the back w/ a four jack. So I think I made the right decision to leave it in the bag.

The greens were so slick I decided not to use it. It's much lighter than my current gamer, so I feel like I have to stroke it a lot harder to get the same distance as I do from my gamer. That's not something I wanted to try out on fast greens.

Once I get a new shaft/grip on it & get the weight up where I'm comfortable with it, I'm sure I'll like it.

I had 14 putts on the front w/ one three jack & 17 on the back w/ a four jack. So I think I made the right decision to leave it in the bag.

31 putts with a 3&4. That's some great putting. That really is the strongest part of your game, time to dial in that 100yds in!!

Fantastic day on the course today!

Windy and a nice track with difficult green complexes, well worth the $40.

Thanks to all whom made it out today, fantastic way to kick off 2014!!

My short irons were better today. Mainly due to an article I found on the web by Dave Stockton. I practiced the second shot he describes in the article yesterday after work. It really helped my confidence.
Here's the article:
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2012-10/dave-stockton-the-only-two-shots-you-need

I'll check that out shortly. I really enjoy Stockton 's stuff. He really knows how to convey his thoughts in a manner that is practical and easy to duplicate.

I think I have to be out on Saturday. I might play locally but I have to be in Richardson by about 2pm.

Fun times today! I played like crap again and lost about 147 balls but it's hard to have a bad time with the THP DFW crew

oh and the fuggo putter with the chop top played nicely for me today. I had a low putt count (don't know how many) but I think I only 3-putted twice and I know I one-putted at least 5 or 6 times. Maybe I need some fugly irons :D

edit: before anyone starts thinking I'm a great putter, the low putt count would have been higher if I counted chips. missing the green fy a few feet or a few inches on a regular basis means you can take your fist putt from close a lot more often!

Anyone interested in playing on Saturday mid morning? Tee times 9:00 and 9:07 @ Pecan Valley River Course.

1. Capt.Dru
2. Afwcardinal (maybe)
3. Cookie
4. Shakey (probably)
5. Niteowl
6. Niteowl-FIL

Last edited:
Anyone interested in playing on Saturday mid morning? Tee times 9:00 and 9:07 @ Pecan Valley River Course.

1. Capt.Dru
2. Afwcardinal (maybe)
3. Cookie
4. Shakey (maybe)
5. Niteowl
6. Niteowl-FIL
You can change me from maybe to probably.

And I'm still looking good for Saturday. I wont be positive until Friday afternoon, but hoping I can make it.

1. Capt.Dru
2. Afwcardinal (maybe)
3. Cookie
4. Shakey (probably)
5. Niteowl
6. Niteowl-FIL

Today was a fun time. Jeff enjoyed it a lot... shouldn't be a problem to,get him to come out with the group again :)

Tom is a great guys to play with. His driver and putter we're working well today. I somehow lost my swing from the range to the first tee... I played terrible but still really like the new irons! ...longer and very straight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic day on the course today!

Windy and a nice track with difficult green complexes, well worth the $40.

Thanks to all whom made it out today, fantastic way to kick off 2014!!

It's so funny how golf works. I was just killing it off the tee today--which of course means nothing on the scorecard... Usually I am a spraying off the tee with wonderful scramble to make it up--I guess I am not used to being only 90 yards out in a nice open fairway. Or I just felt like digging trenches with the wedges. I am blaming it on the new gap wedge for now or maybe the wind.

seriously though, it was fun to get out there with you guys again! and We got to witness another group throwing his putter into the woods. Those greens were stupid fast with the wind, but luckily no putters were harmed in our group today!

It's so funny how golf works. I was just killing it off the tee today--which of course means nothing on the scorecard... Usually I am a spraying off the tee with wonderful scramble to make it up--I guess I am not used to being only 90 yards out in a nice open fairway. Or I just felt like digging trenches with the wedges. I am blaming it on the new gap wedge for now or maybe the wind.

seriously though, it was fun to get out there with you guys again! and We got to witness another group throwing his putter into the woods. Those greens were stupid fast with the wind, but luckily no putters were harmed in our group today!
unless you count the one we cut down to size before the round :D

For those in/around the Fort Worth area, I just got the Pecan Valley Assoc. 2014 schedule. Hope some of you have room on your schedule to join/play.

Attached is the PVGA 2014 Schedule. The first tournament is scheduled for January 11 as an Individual beginning with tee times at 9am on the River. We begin the new year with paying for Ghin. The fee still remains the same $25.00. The dues for the association remains the same also $20.00 (cash).

Payouts are usually 1/3rd of field. 2 flights. 1st Gross, 1st Net, 2nd Net, 3rd Net, etc. In addition to green fee (cart is extra, not required), there is $16 to prize fund ($11 for places, $5 for skins). 1st Flight is GHIN of 0-10 and plays from the blues. 2nd Flight is 10+ and plays from the whites. Each flight has own prize and skins fund.

PVGA and Meadowbrook typically alternate Saturdays to avoid conflicting events.
11-Jan
Individual
River 9 am
18-Jan
2-Person Scramble
Hills 9 am
1-Feb
Individual
River 9 am
15-Feb
Individual
Hills 9 am
1-Mar
2-Person Best Ball
River 9 am
15-Mar
Mod. Stableford
River 8 am
29-Mar
Individual
Hills 8 am
5-Apr
Individual
River 8 am
13-Apr
2-Person Shamble
Hills 8 am (Sun)
10-May
Individual
River 8 am
24-May
Individual
River 8 am
31-May
Red-White-Blue
Hills 8 am
22-Jun
Individual
River 8 am (Sun)
12-Jul
2-Person Best Ball
River 8 am
26-Jul
Individual
Hills 8 am
16-Aug
Individual
River 8 am
13-Sep
Individual
River 8 am
21-Sep
Individual
Hills 8 am (Sun)
Oct 4-5Club ChampionshipHills/River 8am
1-Nov
Flag (Fall Mtg)
River 8 am
15-Nov
Individual
River 9 am
13-Dec
2-Person Scramble
River 9 am

For those in/around the Fort Worth area, I just got the Pecan Valley Assoc. 2014 schedule. Hope some of you have room on your schedule to join/play.

Attached is the PVGA 2014 Schedule. The first tournament is scheduled for January 11 as an Individual beginning with tee times at 9am on the River. We begin the new year with paying for Ghin. The fee still remains the same $25.00. The dues for the association remains the same also $20.00 (cash).

Payouts are usually 1/3rd of field. 2 flights. 1st Gross, 1st Net, 2nd Net, 3rd Net, etc. In addition to green fee (cart is extra, not required), there is $16 to prize fund ($11 for places, $5 for skins). 1st Flight is GHIN of 0-10 and plays from the blues. 2nd Flight is 10+ and plays from the whites. Each flight has own prize and skins fund.

PVGA and Meadowbrook typically alternate Saturdays to avoid conflicting events.
11-Jan
Individual
River 9 am
[/TD,
18-Jan
2-Person Scramble
Hills 9 am
1-Feb
Individual
River 9 am
15-Feb
Individual
Hills 9 am
1-Mar
2-Person Best Ball
River 9 am
15-Mar
Mod. Stableford
River 8 am
29-Mar
Individual
Hills 8 am
5-Apr
Individual
River 8 am
13-Apr
2-Person Shamble
Hills 8 am (Sun)
10-May
Individual
River 8 am
24-May
Individual
River 8 am
31-May
Red-White-Blue
Hills 8 am
22-Jun
Individual
River 8 am (Sun)
12-Jul
2-Person Best Ball
River 8 am
26-Jul
Individual
Hills 8 am
16-Aug
Individual
River 8 am
13-Sep
Individual
River 8 am
21-Sep
Individual
Hills 8 am (Sun)
Oct 4-5Club ChampionshipHills/River 8am
1-Nov
Flag (Fall Mtg)
River 8 am
15-Nov
Individual
River 9 am
13-Dec
2-Person Scramble
River 9 am
[TD]

Thanks for this Doug, I will be joining this year and look forward to playing. Do you know if the US Handicap service we have through THP will accommodate the GHIN requirement for this? Also are dues paid prior to the first tournament or before hand?

Sounds fun. I miss not being a part of a club & getting to play in tourneys since I moved here. This (& every THP event I can get into) would do a good job of filling that void.

Thanks for this Doug, I will be joining this year and look forward to playing. Do you know if the US Handicap service we have through THP will accommodate the GHIN requirement for this? Also are dues paid prior to the first tournament or before hand?

This sounds just like my MGA--meaning you will get a GHIN by joining it. How they start you out before the 5 tourney rounds to establish it--well they may be willing to take your current system as a starting point--all depends on that MGA's policy.

Also there is always a minimum number of events required to participate in the finals which is good policy to make sure everyone's level is well established.

This sounds just like my MGA--meaning you will get a GHIN by joining it. How they start you out before the 5 tourney rounds to establish it--well they may be willing to take your current system as a starting point--all depends on that MGA's policy.

Also there is always a minimum number of events required to participate in the finals which is good policy to make sure everyone's level is well established.

Yea, the $25 is for the GHIN but I don't really want to pay for it 2x since I'm getting it through THP, but since the THP one isn't GHIN I'm not sure if it works. The "group" I'm a member of through the THP one is FTW Golf so who knows!!

1. Capt.Dru
2. Afwcardinal (maybe)
3. Cookie
4. Baldguy (maybe)
5. Shakey (maybe)
6. Niteowl
7. Niteowl-FIL

You don't know how tempting it is to come back down & get out of this snow & 20*s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back