How do you deal with this ?

I give this guy one chance. I would politely tell him that while you appreciate what he is trying to do with his comments on your shots, it acts as a negative reinforcement in your swing, so please keep your comments to yourself.

If he keeps it up after that, I tell him to shut the !@#$ up !

I would politely ask him to stop. Nothing wrong with asking and puts the onus back on him as to how he chooses to handle it.

This. Also if you do it in a polite way on front of others, you will most likely gain their support and appreciation. I'm sure one or two others would speak up as well.

Something simple like "Charlie I'd appreciate it you stop the post shot analysis. You may mean well but it Is rather bothersome"

This. Also if you do it in a polite way on front of others, you will most likely gain their support and appreciation. I'm sure one or two others would speak up as well.

Something simple like "Charlie I'd appreciate it you stop the post shot analysis. You may mean well but it Is rather bothersome"

I like it :thumb: Then kick him in the arse :deadhorse:

I've come across this often. This guy sucks. The best response I have found to this guy is to calmly ask him to stop.

If that doesn't work I say, "I will bring that up with the guy I pay for lessons."

I loath that guy. If I were really struggling, then maybe I would appreciate it, but if it is just me not playing how I should I usually counter the advice with "I really just didn't aim for the right spot".

I'm out there to have fun and relax. If I want to work on my game, then I would be at a lesson, or practicing things on the range.

I'm really the only one who does it back? You all should try it!

I'm really the only one who does it back? You all should try it!

LOL smalls.

I would politely ask him to stop. But I have played guys that are way and I try to make it a contest to see if I can block them out. Good for my mental game.

I would just say thanks tips I know my swing and what I did. Then if he continues give him the same type of commentary when he swings. Sometimes people don't realize they are being an idiot until they are told they are being an idiot.

I would just say thanks tips I know my swing and what I did. Then if he continues give him the same type of commentary when he swings. Sometimes people don't realize they are being an idiot until they are told they are being an idiot.

haha I never thought about doing this but it probably works huh? :D

Hard to tell what I would do.... Either ignore it, and avoid playing with him again, or I may something to the effect... I've seen your score card, perhaps focusing on your game would be more benificial to both of us

i'd go in the exact opposite direction. I would be a pain in his butt all round asking for tips and tricks and understanding nuances of the game...he'd get the point by the 3rd hole.

The "On course instructor". Never really came across one. When I was first starting and I had some major struggling areas I was given tips, but not after every shot.

i'd go in the exact opposite direction. I would be a pain in his butt all round asking for tips and tricks and understanding nuances of the game...he'd get the point by the 3rd hole.

That is funny. I might try that but I would be afraid that it back fires and he just runs with it.

There are basically four ways (in my book) to handle this guy.

1.) Politely ask him to stop

2.) Drop knowledge back in his lap. Meaning, dictate to him each one of his shots in a similar, but harsher manor. He'll get the picture.

3.) Ignore him

4.) There has got to be someone who feels the same way you do, that's a friend of his. Talk to that guy and have him tell him to stop.

There are basically four ways (in my book) to handle this guy.

1.) Politely ask him to stop

2.) Drop knowledge back in his lap. Meaning, dictate to him each one of his shots in a similar, but harsher manor. He'll get the picture.

3.) Ignore him

4.) There has got to be someone who feels the same way you do, that's a friend of his. Talk to that guy and have him tell him to stop.

Yeah I would just ask him to stop to if it's possible

I am a nice, easygoing guy. However, when I have a guy like this, I will give him about 3 holes before I say "Look, hitting a bad shot is annoying enough without the commentary. I know you mean well. but it just confuses me. Please stop."

That would drive me crazy and I would probably get myself in trouble by telling him to shut the f%#k up and worry about his own game ! On club day we have a set four we play in each week as all 4 of us are not very tolerant when getting paired with annoying / slow golfers haha

I would tell him to add two strokes on the first hole. Then let him know he can add two on every hole he does it on all day. Giving advice is the same as asking for it by the rules.
If it continues tell him you could always report him to the committee for a gross breach of etiquette, for which you can be DQ'ed.

These threads....

For such a small place, New Zealand seems to have an alarming concentration of jerkish golfers.

Asking politely to stop is pretty much it. "Thanks, I'll figure it out on the range, but for now I'm just going to swing my swing," is how I've dealt with the one time I've come across it.

For such a small place, New Zealand seems to have an alarming concentration of jerkish golfers.

Asking politely to stop is pretty much it. "Thanks, I'll figure it out on the range, but for now I'm just going to swing my swing," is how I've dealt with the one time I've come across it.

No idea if there are more idiot golfers down here in NZ than anywhere else ! At our club there is probably only 1 in 10 guys who make a round unpleasant.

No idea if there are more idiot golfers down here in NZ than anywhere else ! At our club there is probably only 1 in 10 guys who make a round unpleasant.

I don't think NZ as a whole has a lot of jerkish golfers. I do think a lot of golfers have never learnt the rules and etiquette and that plays a part. Golf is very informal here and that too might play a part. In the end I guess I just don't know? I played golf for many years in South Africa and Scotland and never really came across the types I've come across here?

He's just noting that threads like these seem to pop up quite often lately. From an NZer.

TTing

Back