ns1189

Reaction score
Handicap
19.2 GHIN
I posted this question in a different thread but thought I would post it as a topic. I have looked everywhere online and I can't find what the significance of the letters on Ping Irons are. Right now I play the G15s but I really like the look of the I25s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K = Super Game Improvement
G = Game Improvement
I = Lower Handicap (Forgiving)
S = Lower Handicap (Precision)

Make sense?

Don't forget Anser and Karsten.

And rapture.

K line has been replaced with the new Karsten line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There is a Rapture fairway coming out in the Spring, this will go along with the Rapture driving iron.

You sure about this? Seems new Rapture products are still in the pipeline

I've heard there are new rapture products planned for 2014 as well.

I am not someone that is "in the know", so there very well could be something coming that I don't know about. I've seen the 2 Rapture clubs on Ping's site, but I would be shocked if they bring out a new set of Rapture irons after announcing the Karsten line.

I am not someone that is "in the know", so there very well could be something coming that I don't know about. I've seen the 2 Rapture clubs on Ping's site, but I would be shocked if they bring out a new set of Rapture irons after announcing the Karsten line.

The Karsten iron set is going to be at a lower price point than the Rapture line was, I haven't seen anything other than the two clubs that I mentioned, but the chance for a multi material iron at the old Rapture price point is a possibility since they will not have anything at that top of the line price. Just speculating, as Ping is very good at keeping their pre-release stuff under wraps even from retailers.

The Karsten iron set is going to be at a lower price point than the Rapture line was, I haven't seen anything other than the two clubs that I mentioned, but the chance for a multi material iron at the old Rapture price point is a possibility since they will not have anything at that top of the line price. Just speculating, as Ping is very good at keeping their pre-release stuff under wraps even from retailers.

I almost forgot how expensive the Raptures were when the 1st came out, you have a very valid point.

This is a perfect example of how many lines companies release. While other companies get truly ridiculed for putting out many lines over 2 years, most skip over Ping.

Very clever marketing

This is a perfect example of how many lines companies release. While other companies get truly ridiculed for putting out many lines over 2 years, most skip over Ping.

Very clever marketing

They seem to "get away with it" due to the clear break down of intended players for each line. The I series player is not really going to pay a whole lot of attention to the G sereis releases, so in their minds, it is a full two years before "their stuff" gets replaced.

They seem to "get away with it" due to the clear break down of intended players for each line. The I series player is not really going to pay a whole lot of attention to the G sereis releases, so in their minds, it is a full two years before "their stuff" gets replaced.

Not sure I agree but I'm sure some rationalize it that way. They have tour usage with G, I, S, Anser and more.

Sorry was referring the original Rapture line

Can you explain that? You mentioned the Rapture line being replaced despite products still coming out.

I'm sure it's just me missing something.

Not sure I agree but I'm sure some rationalize it that way. They have tour usage with G, I, S, Anser and more.

I'm just basing that one how our customer base seems to react to there release cycles. We don't hear as many snide remarks about the annual Ping releases since they aren't an immediate replacement for each series each year.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Very clever marketing

I think it's more about Pings release cycle than the # of lines they offer. The G25 came out in February of last year I believe? G30's are nowhere on the radar right now, where as other companies seem to be more on a yearly cycle with a lot of their products.

I think it's more about Pings release cycle than the # of lines they offer. The G25 came out in February of last year I believe? G30's are nowhere on the radar right now, where as other companies seem to be more on a yearly cycle with a lot of their products.

And that is why I said it's clever marketing. If you look at the last few drivers it's the perfect example of what I mean. G25, i25, Anser.

The differentiating factors between those releases is virtually no different than any other company.

To give you an example. Callaway released RFE last november. Then in January released X HOT line. Then in July released Optiforce.

Yet when Optiforce was released it was as if the world was coming to an end. Yet one could argue that there is more differential between the three Callaway lines at driver than that of the 3 Ping lines.

Hope that makes sense.

Perhaps the difference is they're established lines, and expected? Whereas, and I may be wrong here but could swear I read a post from Harry somewhere, but the Optiforce was a one time product line? Just a theory on why they were treated differently, not saying I agree with it.

The obvious answer to me though is that Callaway and TM just have a much bigger social presence, and therefore just more susceptible to criticism since more people notice

And that is why I said it's clever marketing. If you look at the last few drivers it's the perfect example of what I mean. G25, i25, Anser.

The differentiating factors between those releases is virtually no different than any other company.

To give you an example. Callaway released RFE last november. Then in January released X HOT line. Then in July released Optiforce.

Yet when Optiforce was released it was as if the world was coming to an end. Yet one could argue that there is more differential between the three Callaway lines at driver than that of the 3 Ping lines.

Hope that makes sense.

I understand what you're saying, and you're right about the differential between lines, but I still say it's just a matter of timing. You're example has Callaway releasing 3 drivers in an 8 month window where the 3 Ping drivers is a 12 month window.

Also, you have the X HOT line being release last January, and this January we have the X2 HOT, which was my original point compared to Ping's G25 release last year at this time.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's becoming the norm these days and I wouldn't be shocked if Ping eventually bumps up their product cycles to keep pace. I'm just saying I believe that is why Ping gets a pass on their lines while Callaway and TaylorMade get jumped on every time they release a new product.

I understand what you're saying, and you're right about the differential between lines, but I still say it's just a matter of timing. You're example has Callaway releasing 3 drivers in an 8 month window where the 3 Ping drivers is a 12 month window.

Also, you have the X HOT line being release last January, and this January we have the X2 HOT, which was my original point compared to Ping's G25 release last year at this time.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's becoming the norm these days and I wouldn't be shocked if Ping eventually bumps up their product cycles to keep pace. I'm just saying I believe that is why Ping gets a pass on their lines while Callaway and TaylorMade get jumped on every time they release a new product.

That is where my original stance was about their ingenious or odd marketing.
They are technically releasing as much if not more, and yet get a pass.
So many different lines (with as much or less difference than other companies) and because they stagger each of them over time, they are given a freedom that other companies are not.

In the end, I love golf equipment and love that companies have the R&D to keep releasing new products that offer people choices.

The debate that they release a new G series every 2 years is a bit moot (in my opinion) because there have been 5 other lines sandwiched in the middle. Its an interesting take on whether or not to have more lines or more renewals of lines.

JB I think it has a lot to do with timing of releases.

where ping is at the beginning of the calendar yr and off season for most us with their releases.

TM and Callaway have dropped mid yr/season equipment which is after many have already purchased new equipment just months before. These releases seem to dramatically hit the sell price of equipment seemingly right after many purchased that same equipment and make trade ins worth nothing on equipment that's barely played.

Just my 2cents.

Back