Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Such solid, clear, and understandable info about this driver in here. Goof stuff Hawk and Jman.

Agreed. These guys know what they're talking about.

Their thoughts are very similar to my impressions of the BB and Alpha. I think both are very, very impressive drivers. I ultimately chose the Alpha because I think it is a better fit for me. But, I would be happy to play the BB as a regular gamer. Both of them just crush golf balls.

I hear you. You and Jman both seem to be saying that the Alpha is for those big boys who hit those towering natural drives on the screws with X stiff shafts and + AoA's and they want to dampen down their spin rates from 3300 to 2200. But for us mere mortals, this BB is going to be the better choice, just like the Speedblades or CB's are going to be better than the MB's.

I'm not sure that's accurate.

The Alpha is a little harder to hit than the BB, but not by much. I found the Alpha pretty darn forgiving.

Not to speak for James or Ryan, but in my opinion the BB will be a better fit for more golfers because the adjustability will accommodate more golfers. The vast majority of golfers, IMO.

Nice writeup, Jman. Sounds like the new Big Bertha is living up to the name and history.

What is "cross face misses"?

Literally across the face, not vertical or up/down.

These two cover the gamut, people need to hit them and see their numbers because though I believe most in the bell curve would benefit most from the Bertha, the Alpha will be a game changer for some as well.

Love all the thoughts by James and Ryan in here. Not sure that the Fubuki Zeta will be a great shaft for me, but I certainly want to give it a shot.

When you guys test the drivers do you go to your home course and play a few rounds with them? If so , are you noticing any significant on course gains with the BB?

When you guys test the drivers do you go to your home course and play a few rounds with them? If so , are you noticing any significant on course gains with the BB?

Always both on range and on course time, I usually also have some good players I know hit the clubs side by side with theirs for input and to see additionally.

As I mentioned, for me, I legitimately gained with the Bertha, IMO any distance gain w/o sacrificing dispersion is a significant gain.

I read this review early this morning and knew instantly that it would create a ton off reaction from the readers. It was excellently done without a doubt! James did his work and sharpened his pencil with this one! You've done an awesome job handling the responses and questions. Which is why I read and you write lol.

As far as the Bertha goes: without a fitting many people will chose the wrong driver based in ego, and wants over needs.
I watched people hit it for three days in December and it's a fairway finding bomb launching machine. Trust it and you'll be happy you did!

This one is on top of my list for #TheKing. I'm gonna try to hit both at EW before hand but it sounds like ego needs to take a back seat. It may be love at first sight with my black tie shaft.

This one is on top of my list for #TheKing. I'm gonna try to hit both at EW before hand but it sounds like ego needs to take a back seat. It may be love at first sight with my black tie shaft.

This ^^^^^^^^ is good stuff!

The shafts are easily swapped out right? Just unscrew the head and drop another one in type thing.

Trust me, with what I experienced and what I saw of this thing, your ego will get a boost.

The shafts are easily swapped out right? Just unscrew the head and drop another one in type thing.

You betcha. Their new adaptor is awesome and it's super easy to swap shafts, 30 seconds tops.

Yeah but my RFE has the 1st gen adapter. May need to look into getting the new adapter put on but that scares me a little. Will def need a pro to do it.

Yeah but my RFE has the 1st gen adapter. May need to look into getting the new adapter put on but that scares me a little. Will def need a pro to do it.

FWIW, my understanding is they are compatible, just not the same amount of adjustability as the new ones.

I have no idea how the equipment tie-in at #TheKing is going to work yet but I'm planning on heading down with a shaft that I know I get along with pre-tipped with the BB/Optiforce adapter. The Fubuki is more than likely awesome but you just never know right?

Great article, JMan. This stick looks like a beast. Glad to see this line resurrected.

I have no idea how the equipment tie-in at #TheKing is going to work yet but I'm planning on heading down with a shaft that I know I get along with pre-tipped with the BB/Optiforce adapter. The Fubuki is more than likely awesome but you just never know right?

I like this idea although it might be hard to get an adapter this early? I see you have the optiforce listed so is this the same as the new one for the BB?

I like this idea although it might be hard to get an adapter this early? I see you have the optiforce listed so is this the same as the new one for the BB?

Same adapter as the Optiforce OG.

FWIW, my understanding is they are compatible, just not the same amount of adjustability as the new ones.

Yeah that's correct. I'd sure like that extra adjustment for loft tho. I have the face open right now so as I understand it I'm 1 degree lower so sitting at 8.5 degrees. Would be nice to move back to 9.5 or 10.5

Great review Jman! I can't wait to hit this driver.

I only own 1 driver at present, but I have four shafts, all the same model and flex cut to my preferred length; one is tipped with a Cally Opti dual cog, one with a TMag SLDR/RBZ2, one with a Ping, and one Titleist. Until they change their hosel adapters I'm good to do continual apples to apples comparisons. They all use the same adjustment tool so when I demo I can just stick my shaft on their heads.

I used to have a Nike, Cobra, an older style Cally and older TMag tips on 4 more shafts, but I sold them off when the tips became obsolete or I hated the clubs. I'm of the opinion that getting fit for the shaft is most of the battle and when you find one you should stick with it.

Guys, not to be a stick in the mud but lest try and keep this one about Bertha please. Thanks!

What have you guys found about the stock shafts that would cause you to look at a different one?

What have you guys found about the stock shafts that would cause you to look at a different one?

OG, for me its that I know what shaft-traits fit me the best, a mid-spin mid-launch shaft with a solid weight to it is my friend, its why I'm moving to a red-tie very soon. That said, I believe they did a spectacular job (as they did with the Optiforce/S+ pairing) of matching a great shaft with the head that WILL fit a LARGE margin of golfers out there. People most definitely need ot hit it before tinkering or straying IMO.

OG, for me its that I know what shaft-traits fit me the best, a mid-spin mid-launch shaft with a solid weight to it is my friend, its why I'm moving to a red-tie very soon. That said, I believe they did a spectacular job (as they did with the Optiforce/S+ pairing) of matching a great shaft with the head that WILL fit a LARGE margin of golfers out there. People most definitely need to hit it before tinkering or straying IMO.

Thanks James. I also prefer a shaft not in the ultra light department. What is the weight of the BB stock shaft? I have found that the Diamana Ilima 61 works well for me if I'm looking for more carry. The Diamana Kai'li also works well for me with more of a mid flight type trajectory. The weight of a say 58 to 62 gram is in my wheel house.

Last edited:
Thanks James. I also prefer a shaft not in the ultra light department. What is the weight of the BB stock shaft? I have found that the Diamana Ilima 61 works well for me if I'm looking for more carry. The Diamana Kai'li also works well for me with more of a mid flight type trajectory. The weight of a say 58 to 62 gram is in my wheel house.
Diamana Kai'li

Stock Fubuki is in your wheelhouse then. 56g in R and 59g in S.

Back