Just bought my first real bike today! Picked up a 2013 Cervelo R3. Now they just have to track down the right frame size. Apparently being an ogre isn't always cool.

great bike! I've been riding R3s since 2008 (on my second frame now). I've got an '11 model now and I have nothing but good experiences with the brand and the service they provide (lifetime warranty is something you can't overlook).

Well, after a few years of decreasing fitness and increasing weight, I've decided that this is the year I'm back on the bike like I mean it. My legs suck. I've got 64 miles in since Friday. All pretty flat with one trainer ride mixed in. I did 34 miles flat today, just an LSD ride, and I'm ashamed of how tired I am. But I know what to do and I just need a little momentum to get the old freight train back up to speed. My wife and I are planning to make this the year we get the kids started for real. I'm still nervous about having them out on the road, but we've got some good trails to start with until I'm comfortable with them being able to handle it. I'm still pondering what my goals are, because I'm pretty goal-driven and having something I'm committed to makes all the difference for me. There's a century in early May that I've ridden many times (but not in the last 5 years!) that has between 7000 and 8000 feet of climbing. My wife and I are both thinking that might be a good goal to train for in the next couple of months. Then she wants to do a ride for her 40th birthday in mid-May that is at high elevation (5000' at the lowest point and up to about 8000' at the highest). I don't know about you guys, but a big thing for me is having a group of guys to ride with. It wasn't a problem when I was racing, because there were always teammates to train with. But I'm slowly putting a group of people with similar goals together to train together and thinking that will help me/us stay on track.

So...anybody else set any cycling goals for the new year?

Here's a pic of my old '08 Cervelo R3. I haven't even taken pics of my newer frame yet. Guess I should do that.

IMG_4497.jpg

My goal this year is a min of 100 miles per week. So far, so good.

My goal this year is a min of 100 miles per week. So far, so good.

Good goal. I think that's close to the range I'm looking to slide into as well.

So WE, I know I missed something in the thread a while back about your career change. You're either working at a shop or bought one? Obviously, you carry Specialized. Any other cool stuff?

That's awesome dude... use to ride with one of the designers from Cervelo in Toronto. We need to go ride when it warms up!!

Hell yeah bro always looking to ride!

Just bought my first real bike today! Picked up a 2013 Cervelo R3. Now they just have to track down the right frame size. Apparently being an ogre isn't always cool.

What component group and wheels did you end up with? Assuming you're probably getting 3T bars and post.

What component group and wheels did you end up with? Assuming you're probably getting 3T bars and post.

I went with the Shimano Ultegra components but I honestly don't know what wheels I got. The ones they come standard with I guess :act-up: Same thing with the Bars. I couldn't afford any other upgrades.

Haven't picked those out yet. Any suggestions?

Speedplay Zero's. But it depends on how much float you want on your pedal.

I have no idea what that even means. =)
"Float" when talking about pedals and clipping in, is basically how much wiggle you can have with your foot while remaining clipped in. I prefer to be able to move my foot in different angles while still clipped in, and have to pull up & out to unclip. So, I like a pedal with more "float."

make sense?

"Float" when talking about pedals and clipping in, is basically how much wiggle you can have with your foot while remaining clipped in. I prefer to be able to move my foot in different angles while still clipped in, and have to pull up & out to unclip. So, I like a pedal with more "float."

make sense?

Yep and I haven't ridden in about 10 years but if I remember correctly I don't like float.

the thing about float is that it makes life easier on your knees and can help reduce "hot spots" in your feet while you ride, especially long rides. I've never used Speedplays, but most pedals/manufacturers offer different cleats that will allow varying degrees of float. I'm sure Speedplay probably has that option. I've been using Look Keos for the past several years and used Shimano SPD SL pedals before that. They both have different cleats to let you decide how much float there is. They also offer cleats that don't float at all if that's what works better for you.

I definitely buy mountain bike pedals for all my bicycles.

make sense?

the thing about float is that it makes life easier on your knees and can help reduce "hot spots" in your feet while you ride, especially long rides. I've never used Speedplays, but most pedals/manufacturers offer different cleats that will allow varying degrees of float. I'm sure Speedplay probably has that option. I've been using Look Keos for the past several years and used Shimano SPD SL pedals before that. They both have different cleats to let you decide how much float there is. They also offer cleats that don't float at all if that's what works better for you.

I used Look bindings for years when I skied and loved them. Might have to check out their pedals.

I used Look bindings for years when I skied and loved them. Might have to check out their pedals.
I am a fan of the Keo's by Look as well.

Dont get sold on the 2013s, the 2014 models are out now and are much much better.

Jrod, any updates dude?

Got a group ride in today. 25 miles, just a couple of hills, but a lot of good 21-23 mph paceline work. God I'm out of shape!

I am a fan of the Keo's by Look as well.

Dont get sold on the 2013s, the 2014 models are out now and are much much better.

I have the KEO blades from 2013 and love them. Are the 2014's different?? I hope it's not like a driver that needs to be upgraded at least once per year.:act-up:

I have the KEO blades from 2013 and love them. Are the 2014's different?? I hope it's not like a driver that needs to be upgraded at least once per year.:act-up:

Well if it makes you feel any better, I've been running the same Keo Carbons for over 5 years!

Doing my first custom build right now, and I am pretty excited about it.

Got a few things in today; Disc brakes, shifters, drive train, and a few other parts.

Frame shows up tomorrow. Wheels, tires and what not show up early next week.

Will have to update with pictures..and it's not a road bike.

Man there are some sweet bikes in here.

I have a question for you Ryan, if you don't mind. I know have some cheap Target special "mountain bike" and I really want to start riding more for a good lower body workout and also some cardio. What would be a good type of bike to look at?

I would be riding 2-4 times a week for about 4-5 miles or so, on a combination of gravel and cement. I can't really spend a ton of money but want something that is going to last for awhile. Any good suggestions?

A little bumpity bump. Any ideas would greatly help. Thanks!

What's your budget?

Not really sure. I would like something nice but don't want to break the bank. Maybe keep it around $500 or less? Is that even feasible?

Not really sure. I would like something nice but don't want to break the bank. Maybe keep it around $500 or less? Is that even feasible?
It is, actually. Any brand you are looking for specifically?

Back