Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

My fiance said that I should go to Top Golf. I am definitely in for that at some point, I just don't think it can be a regular thing. They are pretty pricey without throwing in the beer.

I've never been there but have heard it's a hell of a time. Yeah it would not be a cheap night, but probably worth it. I wonder how the heating there works. It would not be enjoyable to me to be cold at all, while trying to eat and drink and have a good time.

Has anyone had the experience of using the facilities at Golf Center Des Plaines?

With preparation for #TheKing taking place during the winter. I'm looking for a good place to work on all aspects of my game. They have heated bays open year round, and a short game area and par 3 course that is open weather permitting. Prices seem reasonable, with the short game area being all you can hit.

Are there other facilities you'd suggest for winter work?

CC

It's great. I spent lots of time in those heated bays during last winter. I never went when it was brutally cold, but had no problems with temps in the 20s while wearing a sweatshirt. I started with a jacket and stocking cap and ended up breaking a sweat. I'd recommend wearing a few layers so you can adjust to what's comfortable for you. The overhead heater will keep you pretty warm unless the wind is blowing in your face.

It's a bit pricey, but on certain days and times you can get better rates. I believe it was Mondays or Tuesdays that was $0.07/ball, where on the weekend it is something like $0.12 or more. Everyday before 10:00am (I think) has a special rate, too. Also, at some point they start offering a bonus when you load your card. I think it was buy $50, get $55. If you take advantage of that and go at the right times, it's waaay cheaper than any of the indoor facilities I could find.

When it's nice out, short game area is awesome. Several traps, greens, and pins to work with. You can practice everything from 40 yards or so and in. The few times I went there were never more than 3 other people, which was nice. It's something like $7 unlimited per day.

Has anyone had the experience of using the facilities at Golf Center Des Plaines?

With preparation for #TheKing taking place during the winter. I'm looking for a good place to work on all aspects of my game. They have heated bays open year round, and a short game area and par 3 course that is open weather permitting. Prices seem reasonable, with the short game area being all you can hit.

CC

I used to go there all of the time when I worked up there. Really nice place. Has a country club feel to it when you walk in. Last I was there you purchased a card and putt x number of balls on it.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

CC

Just want to chime in here. I went there all winter last year. Go on Mondays if possible. It is 6 cents a ball which is much cheaper than the normal rate. The short game area is outstanding and I have never seen it crowded, however, I was not brave enough to use it in the winter.

My only complaint would be I lose sight of the ball when hitting driver. I'm not sure if its my bad eyes or poorly lit. Maybe I'll see you there once my shoulder heals!

Note- it is also an automated system. So you hit the ball (you can adjust your tee length) and another one pops up, pretty convenient/

Just a heads up to our residents on THP in the area.
We did announce that a brand new event is coming to Chicago this year for our Albatross Club Members.
With Wilson Staff and it is incredibly unique.

Stay tuned to the 2014 events announcements thread for more info.

Just a heads up to our residents on THP in the area.
We did announce that a brand new event is coming to Chicago this year for our Albatross Club Members.
With Wilson Staff and it is incredibly unique.

Stay tuned to the 2014 events announcements thread for more info.

I insist that proximity to Wilson HQ be the qualifying criterion. Their office is a short par 4 from mine.

Hey we should get together sometime, maybe some dim sum in Chinatown.

Post number 1000!

As for winter practice, I prefer the dome at white pines. It's a little on the pricey side (~$20 per hour) but the balls are unlimited and 100 yd ball flight isn't bad. I always found the heated bays to be still pretty chilly when the wind picks up and I can't see the ball that well anyway. The balls also get really cold so it's like hitting rocks.

Last edited:
:act-up: I'm from northwest indiana but count me in for a event or 2 ... Sounds like some good times

Here's ANOTHER great deal from GroupGolfer!! The course is fantastic!!!!! I just bought four. http://www.groupgolfer.com/index.php
[h=2]$19 for 18 Holes with Cart and Range Balls at Timber Pointe Golf Club in Poplar Grove near Rockford ($60 Value. Expires July 1, 2014.)[/h]

Hey we should get together sometime, maybe some dim sum in Chinatown.

Post number 1000!

As for winter practice, I prefer the dome at white pines. It's a little on the pricey side (~$20 per hour) but the balls are unlimited and 100 yd ball flight isn't bad. I always found the heated bays to be still pretty chilly when the wind picks up and I can't see the ball that well anyway. The balls also get really cold so it's like hitting rocks.

Domes are pretty nice depending on the crowd. I've been to white pines once and thought it was reasonable. I go to McQ's in Bolingbrook quite a bit to hit with friends and play silly games like hitting cut shotsn into the targets for money. It's $25 an hour there but worth it if you think about it. If I go to St. Andrews and hit off the mats I'm paying $18 for whzt equates to 45 minutes. WhT's so nice about the domes is that you can do drill after drill before tak7ng full swings, and not worry about ball count.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Nope. Too far for me.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Ha....okay guy that won't drive to Indy cause he'll be a tad tired from a wedding ;-)

And yes I'm a slacker!

You complained about distance to ADDISON, then rebuttal with INDY? :bulgy-eyes: Funny guy over here

Much different prize in Indy :)

No problem. I know a bunch of guys that play in it....if you look back at previous years...they post a ton of tournaments

What THP events are on everyones radar this year?

I am looking at Lake Charles, Indy, and the Wilson event.

Back