Golf Channel Am Tour

Whoa you have to pay $199 to be a member on top of paying for the event? My goodness, I had no idea. Good for them for getting it and thankfully I will be sticking to THP events.

Yup that was why I stopped doing it. Way too expensive and the courses around here that they play are not very nice.

Yup that was why I stopped doing it. Way too expensive and the courses around here that they play are not very nice.

What do you get for being a member?

Nothing other than the right to play in their events.

Whoa. No way. Really? That is really surprising. I figured you got some gear, swag or magazine subscription or discount card or something. Oh well, not my thing, but glad people like it. I guess it just confirms a bit what THP events are and the value they offer (in my opinion anyway). With gear, SWAG, etc.

I think you get a polo and some small swag. It isn't worth it in my eyes. The tournament costs are extremely high for the local courses they have scheduled here in Jax.

edit: went to their website

[h=2]Member Benefits ►[/h]
  • 1-Year Membership (365 days) to your local tour
  • Ability to compete in ANY Local Tour tournament across the country
  • Opportunity to compete in 36-hole Major Championships
  • Opportunity to qualify for the season-ending National Championships
  • Player’s Club Account
  • USGA Handicap Index®
  • Official Player Welcome Letter
  • Official Am Tour Golf Shirt
  • Official Am Tour Hat
  • Player-Only Bag-Tag
  • Player-Only 10% Golf Galaxy Discount – sent via email
  • Special Sponsor Offers – sent via email

I think you get a polo and some small swag. It isn't worth it in my eyes. The tournament costs are extremely high for the local courses they have scheduled here in Jax.

Member Benefits ►

• Player’s Club Account
  • USGA Handicap Index®
  • Official Am Tour Hat
  • Player-Only Bag-Tag

To me thats not swag. I dont want some channel golf channel shirt and if you have to advertise that you get a welcome letter um Pass. Ill go ahead and enjoy THP events.

What do you get for being a member?

I got a dozen balls, a shirt that is 3 sizes too big, discount/gift cards at a golf store that doesn't exist in the state, a hat, towel, and bag tag, plus a handicap.

That golfweek amateur tour looks way better. Half the price!

When you think about it too, $40 of that is the cost of your GHIN handicap, at least mine was.

When you think about it too, $40 of that is the cost of your GHIN handicap, at least mine was.

Once again, THP goes a bit cheaper. :D
No way they are paying $40 per handicap. Thats profit right there.

When I looked at them for my area, the courses are great but it just wasn't for my wallet. And THP is definitely a better value, never cheap :act-up:

Once again, THP goes a bit cheaper. :D
No way they are paying $40 per handicap. Thats profit right there.

Are there any THP events in MN? I looked at the calendar but didn't see any

Are there any THP events in MN? I looked at the calendar but didn't see any

Not this year, but ours are worth traveling for because many of them involve equipment. Its why I was comparing them to their "majors". Same cost give or take, minus the equipment that is a part of ours (in some cases).

I went with Golf week over the Golf Channel strictly due to pricing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I played the Golf Week tour 2 years ago and loved it. I was looking at the GC AM tour this year and it looked like a lot of local events were cancelled due to not enough signups. I can't see spending the membership fee if the events get cancelled.

I'm sticking with the THP events that I can make this year and maybe a tourny or two that doesn't require an expensive membership fee.

I played the Golf Week tour 2 years ago and loved it. I was looking at the GC AM tour this year and it looked like a lot of local events were cancelled due to not enough signups. I can't see spending the membership fee if the events get cancelled.

I'm sticking with the THP events that I can make this year and maybe a tourny or two that doesn't require an expensive membership fee.

i didn't see many in the Philadelphia are cancelled but the $199 plus registration fees was too much. I love the THP events and have went to the local ones when they are in PA/NJ. I wanted to play some competitive golf so I joined.

That golfweek amateur tour looks way better. Half the price!

I looked at that too, since they have numerous events in kansas, while the golf channel tour only has 1-2

There seems to a be a good number of events here in eastern carolina for the GW tour, but who knows how many you'd have to play to stay competetive in the total points.

JB - have you and GG ever considered setting up a THP Amateur Tour (separate from the Invitationals, Morgan Cup, etc)?

I'd think you could do this in at least 4-5 major metro markets (maybe more). The partnerships that you already have with all the major OEM's would be a HUGE advantage compared to Golf Channel and Golf Week.

Let me know if you need someone to run with that buddy!! :act-up:

Not our thing dude. We are putting out around 15 events this year with some of the most unique setups one could imagine. Things like TheKing, The Morgan Cup, the Invitational Series, these things are just not done. So we will stick to our events and let places like this work on whatever it is they are doing.

I'm joining the golf week tour in Phili this year based on price and the fact that the Golf Channel tour doesn't have many events in my area. I'm kind of stuck halfway between the Phili one and the NYC (really Long Island) one. I decided I didn't want to sit in LI traffic and went with the Phili tour.

Not this year, but ours are worth traveling for because many of them involve equipment. Its why I was comparing them to their "majors". Same cost give or take, minus the equipment that is a part of ours (in some cases).

Involve equipment? How so? Sorry for the Newbie questions but I guess I am a newbie around here.

Member Benefits ►

• Player’s Club Account
  • USGA Handicap Index®
  • Official Am Tour Hat
  • Player-Only Bag-Tag

Just saw this, that is crazy man. I got some shirts and hats I'll sell with the opportunity for people to golf with me for a mere $150

Further evidence THP events is where its at!

I've said it in this thread I think and in other places. The Golf Channel Tour looks to be too pricey for my pocket book. I DID play the Golfweel AmTour last season and had a thoroughly awesome time. HOWEVER, I also went to my first THP Invitational (Branson) last season as well. For the money spent and a comparison of the experiences, THP wins hands down. There is just no comparison really and I'm not knocking Golfweek or Golf Channel in any way at all. I decided at the end of the season that I wanted to gear whatever golf funds I was going to dish out on THP events that I could find my way into rather than the tour. They are THAT much better.

JM

Any plans on Minnesota or Iowa this year or next year for THP events?

Back