Cobra Bio Cell Irons Review Thread

What changed for you from the photograph and actual club?

For or me the pics of the Biocell were a complete turnoff and I believe I commented as such. When knightlightpro handed me his I was very surprised at the top line view, detail and overall look of the club. I'd game these in a heartbeat. Very head heavy feel, really felt like you could clobber the ball with them.

Knowing how well the Amp Cells performed, I look forward to Wednesday when I can hit KLP's.

Good or job guys, keep it up.

It was the cavity insert that threw me off. I thought the web look from the pictures looked great, but when I saw them in person, the white insert that created the web just didn't look right to me for some reason.

I was just trying to reinforce the fact that clubs can look different in hand than they do in pictures. Your thoughts on the Bio Cell looking better in hand than in the pictures are a perfect example of the same thing, just from the opposite side.

How does the length of the club compare to your gamer? Longer, shorter or the same? Are you more aware of the club head due to the combo of light weight shaft and heavy head. It's the first thing I noticed when I grabbed it.

First the length is about 1/4" shorter. One thing I noticed when I first unboxed it was that it was slightly shorter.

As far as feeling the club head with the combo of the shaft, I do feel where it is during my swing. It's not too light where I'm "losing it" throughout the swing. Overall definitely not as heavy as my gamer, but for me this is a good thing bc it's making me have a smoother swing tempo & that's a good thing.

I'm looking over my notes again this morning & everything points to me really getting along with it.
I do like the weight of the head on a slightly lighter shaft. Maybe that's what is throwing me off.
I've got some work to do today but maybe some more range time this afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No offense to everyone, but if this wasn't a brand new club and this was a blind test, I'm not sure everyone would be as impressed. Increased distance can be almost entirely written off due to the strengthened loft. Seems like a decent enough club, but not ground breaking by any means. We are talking about $700 irons here and they don't sound like a much of an increase even over irons that are now selling on clearance racks. I know I sound like debbie downer, but why are these irons all that impressive compared to say the Amp Cell's from last year, which you can buy for half the price?

This can be said about most club offerings from year to year. I guess as a consumer you are going to have to decide what's right for you. Based on the information these testers are providing, it would appear that this is a good set of irons. Would it be a large enough improvement over the amp cell irons to justify the retail price? Again, you're the consumer... test both out and see for yourself. If you're just trolling and trying to kill everyone's shiny new chrome iron buzz... meh, I'm sure you have better things to do. If not, I kind of share your sentiment. I tend to be a budget golfer. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be able to afford a new set of irons every year or two, but I tend to gravitate to testing iron sets as they come out, find out which set and which shafts are best for me, and then wait for a break in the price.

Every year new clubs are launched, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is a huge improvement between the new stuff and what you currently play. I will be interested to see how much of a difference there is between the new releases, and sets offered last year and previous years.

If you are playing a set from 4 years ago, the difference in performance could be large. If you are playing a set from last year, it could be a small improvement. (I am in the segment that is playing something about 4 years old, and when I last switched I saw a huge improvement.) Every player is different, their preferences/tendencies and skill levels playing a huge part in determining if a new release would be a benefit to their game.

Every year new clubs are launched, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is a huge improvement between the new stuff and what you currently play. I will be interested to see how much of a difference there is between the new releases, and sets offered last year and previous years.

If you are playing a set from 4 years ago, the difference in performance could be large. If you are playing a set from last year, it could be a small improvement. (I am in the segment that is playing something about 4 years old, and when I last switched I saw a huge improvement.) Every player is different, their preferences/tendencies and skill levels playing a huge part in determining if a new release would be a benefit to their game.
x2

These companies aren't trying target people who bought the AMP Cell irons from last season, they are trying to target golfers who are using older irons. This explains why they market the new "technology" aspect more so than anything else. We all know that the difference between last years model vs this year is probably minimal but who cares? People get excited over new irons, it creates a buzz and gives us something to talk about. Not everyone can pick up a AMP Cell iron and game it, just as not everyone can pick up a Bio Cell iron and game it. Let us enjoy the new technology and get excited about the game that we love called GOLF!

With that being said, keep the reviews coming guys, I for one am looking forward to reading them as I am debating picking up the Bio Cells!

x2

These companies aren't trying target people who bought the AMP Cell irons from last season, they are trying to target golfers who are using older irons. This explains why they market the new "technology" aspect more so than anything else. We all know that the difference between last years model vs this year is probably minimal but who cares? People get excited over new irons, it creates a buzz and gives us something to talk about. Not everyone can pick up a AMP Cell iron and game it, just as not everyone can pick up a Bio Cell iron and game it. Let us enjoy the new technology and get excited about the game that we love called GOLF!

With that being said, keep the reviews coming guys, I for one am looking forward to reading them as I am debating picking up the Bio Cells!

Again, I'll chime in here on this, not calling anyone out, but having first hand info on this I think its worth mentioning again. While this is sometimes the case, with the Cell to the Bio Cell having talked directly to the man who designed them and having held both irons cut in half in hand its more than just a little difference in tech and design here. These are to an extreme Cobra has never gone before with the undercut and bio-cell technology to manipulate the weight through the set.

Again, I'll chime in here on this, not calling anyone out, but having first hand info on this I think its worth mentioning again. While this is sometimes the case, with the Cell to the Bio Cell having talked directly to the man who designed them and having held both irons cut in half in hand its more than just a little difference in tech and design here. These are to an extreme Cobra has never gone before with the undercut and bio-cell technology to manipulate the weight through the set.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say the difference between the AMP and Bio Cells is minimal, I meant to say the difference they would have on most peoples game would be minimal. I have no doubt in my mind that Cobra went far and beyond with the tech and design on the new Bio Cells! I myself am not debating on picking up the Bio Cells because I think they will take strokes off of my game, I want them for the new technology and great look them have to them.

I don't doubt that they have pushed the envelope and changed the technology, but I would be curious to get a few testers on the trackman with both the amp and the bio irons. It would be interesting to see if this large change translates into something tangible that you can see on the course. Out of comparisons from other reviews on this site...

is it a burner 2.0/r11 to rocketbladez type jump?

or a rocketbladez to speedblade type jump... (not trying to look like a TM fanboy):beat-up:

I don't doubt that they have pushed the envelope and changed the technology, but I would be curious to get a few testers on the trackman with both the amp and the bio irons. It would be interesting to see if this large change translates into something tangible that you can see on the course. Out of comparisons from other reviews on this site...

is it a burner 2.0/r11 to rocketbladez type jump?

or a rocketbladez to speedblade type jump... (not trying to look like a TM fanboy):beat-up:

I too love those types of comparisons. My brain just works better if I can quantify what I am seeing with real, hard numbers.

I too love those types of comparisons. My brain just works better if I can quantify what I am seeing with real, hard numbers.

Numbers are great, but they are also extremely personal IMO. Individual swings play a major role in the types of numbers that will be seen, one user may see a massive jump and another may not see as much, all comes back to the individual and the fact that some clubs just work better for some people.

Biggest thing IMO is does the club do what they say it is supposed to do. Its no different than in doing reviews, I know that some clubs may not be the best for ME and MY swing, but I can still see if they do what they claim and understand that they WILL be great for a lot of golfers out there as well.

Numbers are great, but they are also extremely personal IMO. Individual swings play a major role in the types of numbers that will be seen, one user may see a massive jump and another may not see as much, all comes back to the individual and the fact that some clubs just work better for some people.

Biggest thing IMO is does the club do what they say it is supposed to do. Its no different than in doing reviews, I know that some clubs may not be the best for ME and MY swing, but I can still see if they do what they claim and understand that they WILL be great for a lot of golfers out there as well.

Agreed.
I should have been more clear. I am saying that I love hard numbers when comparing clubs for myself, not necessarily for the masses.
I still love it when testers post whatever numbers they are seeing with their swings. Like you said it needs to be taken with a grain of salt but I find it fascinating especially when used to compare one club to another.

I will have my first initial review up this evening, accompanied by some pictures and some comparisons. However, after a range session today, I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the Bio Cell iron. Size wise, it's just not as big as pictures make it out to be. Comparable to my Apex irons, easily.

What I noticed with the 6i, is that my ball flight was pretty impressive, and the fact that I was elevating a 6i like I was impressed the heck out of me. Distance was comparable to other sets I have gamed recently, but the biggest thing I took away was the ability for me to get a 6i cranked up in the air like I was.

No offense to everyone, but if this wasn't a brand new club and this was a blind test, I'm not sure everyone would be as impressed. Increased distance can be almost entirely written off due to the strengthened loft. Seems like a decent enough club, but not ground breaking by any means. We are talking about $700 irons here and they don't sound like a much of an increase even over irons that are now selling on clearance racks. I know I sound like debbie downer, but why are these irons all that impressive compared to say the Amp Cell's from last year, which you can buy for half the price?

Due to the fact that I had very little difference from my current gamer's, I doubt I would pay the $700 (still lots to go with these, it took a bit to get used my Burners) but it is not simply stronger lofts. They have a different swing weight, less offset and are longer than my current clubs. I would say finding the right shaft for your game makes as much difference as loft.

Another thought that came to me was the how easy on the hands mishits are. I've hit plenty of balls not in the center of the club face and didn't feel that "jolt" at impact. Yes you do lose distance, but the E9 face helps minimize that as much as it can. With that said when I would hit one dead center the found and feel was nice and the ball flight was more of a piercing flight.

I second this. My iron miss tends to be on the toe. With my Burners it can be a bit jarring but I also found that my bad wasn't as bad with these.

It's funny how the in-hand looks can vary so much from the promo pics. I thought last years Amp Cell silver irons were some of the best looking gi irons I had ever seen. When I finally made it to the store and got to see them in person, I was less than enthused.

I think I may prefer the looks of the Amp Cells but like is being shared, the Bio Cell is pretty sharp in its own right.

Okay, so my initial review was a little vague. However just putting out stats when others have the same stuff already posted seems rhetorical.

So today I finally made it to the range to hit some real golf balls. Well kinda we all know about range balls. My current gamers are r-11 irons. Kbs 90 stiff shafts. Ironically, these clubs apon their release were commented on their not so charming looks...however many golfers still game them. My 6 iron is the same length. I believe the cobra is about 1.5 degrees stronger. Hardly enough to jump on the "because of strong lofts" bandwagon. Im not calling anyone out or anything I just know this is always a point people try to brjng up.
e6a9uzas.jpg

y4y2agy7.jpg

typuquqe.jpg

R11 is on the right.

1st swings - after warmup I divided 30 balls into 2 piles. Figured 15 a piece would be decent for initial review.

Sound - the sound is always subjective. However with my might hearing ( big ears ) the sound at impact was solid. It was actually a little too quiet, or at least quieter than im used to. I kept making sure I was hitting ball first. My gilfriend varified this. It was just faint.. Im not sure hoe many base there clubs on sound but it was just something I noticed. I will add that incould hear the shaft shooting by more than on r11. So km thinking I picked up some swing speed...

Club + Shaft - Please bare with me on this part. Im not "that shaft guy". I have no clue as to which shaft does what. Which goes longer , higher , trajectory after impact.. I swing, and if it works I buy it. The shaft in my r-11 is the kbs 90 stiff flex. The shaft in the bio is the dynalite 85 stiff flex. So it is a little lighter. My feeling is this is a great paring. Slightly lighter iron shaft to help pick up some increased club head speed for. Little more distance in these gi irons.

Distance - This one is kinda hard. The range is good for practice and all but you have no idea which balls are newer. Which balls are old as dirt..well minus the the knuckle balls. However I can say thay over 80 percent of the balls I hit went farther than then my current gamers. Im GUESSING but real world i'd say about 6 to 8 yards. Now with some more vibrate and less abused golf balls it could be more. Definatly more than the 1.5 degree increase woild justify.

Accuracy - im decent with my mid irons. When you dont drive it a mile you get use to using them :). I will say that the irons were pretty equal in this category.

Ball flight - Absolutely beautiful. In comparison to my irons it wasnt much different. However it seemed to pierce throigh the air a little better. Probably doesnt make sense in words, but it looked like my ball with the r11's untill the end. Where my irons kinda just drop down, these bio cell golfballs were coming in like a javelin. I imagine they will hold greens very well.

Drawing the ball - It take a raindance, a wish and the stars to align fkr me to constantly hit a draw. I can manipulate when I have to. So im not sure how qulified I am to talk for the masses. However I was able to draw the 6 iron about 5 yards on command.

Fade - I can do this with my eyes closed. Maybe not quite that good but im alot more consistant with it. I was able to fade the bio cells effortlessly. 5 to 10 yards without too much of a struggle.

With both of those I had to try and do it. What I mean by this, is that I believe the weights they use in the bio cells are located great. You can honestly hit a purely straight ball. Even my baby fade wasnt there unless I wanted it. Cobra did well with this part.

So in summery for today I will say that these irons are money. I BELIEVE cobra took so much tech and put it into the back of the club so they wouldnt have to increse the size of the bottom of the club. These gi clubs play to sgi irons but look sexy and perform extremly well.

My only issue thus far is a point shook brought up. The chrome on the irons bottom does scratch pretty quick.
eparatam.jpg

Slightly toward the heal but consistant minus the one fat shot
udu4ame9.jpg

I would be intrigued to hit the rest of the irons in the set for this reason. I hot my 6 iron well but I would love to compare to the clubs I don't hit well.

Really liking what I'm hearing from people so far. I have had the opportunity to hit these as well and these irons are very very impressive. Very forgiving, almost too much a I told Jman in another thread. While these are not the most visually appealing from the back, they get it done where it counts. The shaft options are pretty unreal too.

With what cobra has with the ACP, the Bio Cell and BC+, I think it's safe to say thy cobra is back in the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting to see some with the chrome scratching. I thought the same with the amp cell. Keep up the good work fellas

I received my Bio Cell iron over the weekend, and wanted to share my initial impressesions along with my first thoughts after a range session.

First off, when I first had this in hand, I was surprised at the size of the Bio Cell. Pictures make it appear clunky and large, where as in hand, it is right on par in terms of size as to a number of sets I have gamed recently (comparison photo to follow). This kind of took be by surprise, as I did not expect it to be such a small package based on pics I had seen of the cavity.

In hand, the iron is noticeable light, mainly due to the light weight dynalite 85 shaft that it is paired with in the iron that I have. Lightweight, but not light in flex. Felt good to hold and waggle. The cavity on this one has a lot going on, and while it is an iron I do not particular find attractive, it does not really bother me as the cavity is not something I spend a lot of time staring at, nor is it noticeable at address. If the club works, and works well, I honestly dont care what kind of graphics/styling/etc that it has going on.

Now, some pictures...

20140112_1521431_zpsa39c7b4f.jpg

20140112_152218_zps4afbd937.jpg

The picture just above, is the Bio Cell (left) held side by side the Callaway Apex (right). Quite similar in size, which is what really surprised when I first got my hands on this iron. I expected it to be larger, but was happy to see the size of this one.

Performance form the range;

I warmed up and hit through my wedges and what not. Then hit a few mid irons and was feeling my swing out. Let me say this, a 6i is not a club I really rely on a ton, but have no issue hitting my current 6i decently, so I was curious as how well I would be working with this one. My first few swings with the Bio Cell 6i impressed me. Distance was right on what I was seeing out of my current irons, but what caught be by surprise most of all was the launch and trajectory I was seeing. The ball was hot off the face and just went right up in the air. My distance was all carry, thanks to the wet range, but the trajectory of the ball was high and was giving me my distance all on the fly.

Obviously, the shaft pairing is one that I like, as I am a fan of lightweight iron shafts. But I believe the pairing here is phenomenal. The Bio Cell tech they have in this iron, paired with that shaft to optimize launch is fantastic. My misses were out off the toe, and they were not penal at all. I believe I hit about 20 balls with the 6i, and I really cant think back on a single shot that was not good.

I have 3 rounds coming up this weekend, and I plan on putting this one through its paces to see how it treats me in a real round situation.

Thanks for those pics and thoughts RyJo, I can't wait to eventually spend some time with these...I really think I could rock them in the MC.

Thanks for those pics and thoughts RyJo, I can't wait to eventually spend some time with these...I really think I could rock them in the MC.
While I havent spent time with other irons from the new line, after swinging the 6i for a good bit today, I believe they would be tough to beat for a spot in my bag if I were a Cobra staffer.

Like I said, the small size surprised me...a lot. A good bit more compact than I was expecting, and the looks of these in hand are much better than what pictures show.

It's funny how the in-hand looks can vary so much from the promo pics. I thought last years Amp Cell silver irons were some of the best looking gi irons I had ever seen. When I finally made it to the store and got to see them in person, I was less than enthused.

Weird, I was opposite. In hand these are still great looking IMO.

I would like to see the bio cell in hand tho, because to me the pics were not pleasing at all.

Back