Ask a Best Buy Employee

I bet JF wishes he didn't start this thread right about now lol.

I can't remember having an awful experience at a Best Buy. The people were generally pretty helpful. I haven't been to one in few years because the closest one is about 2.5 hours away. JF - as a Best Buy employee, what is the better buy Xbox One or PS4?

This speaks for any store and I've held this opinion ever since I reached the age of buying things on my own.

Do you not find it a bit unfair to the store to walk in, feel and test their products, potentially pick the employee's brain, and make a decision whether or not to purchase the item, then not even give that store a chance to do business with you? Overhead, the item itself, payroll, etc cost stores money, so they can't possible offer Amazon-like prices for everything. Is that service not worth a bit of a premium? And even if it isn't, doesn't the store at least deserve to be asked about a potential price match? I totally understand wanting to pay the lowest price, I just find it a bit wrong to showroom and not at all give the showroom a chance to do business with you.

Very rarely do I have a good experience when I go into the Best Buy nearest me. The employees just don't seem to have a clue about most of the products in their "areas". Can't even count the number of times I've asked a question only to have the employee give me the complete wrong answer, which then forces me to return the item.

I don't regret starting the thread at all. Never has a thread existed on the site (well, anything in which an opinion can be formed) without some kind of disagreement. Just the fact that some people didn't know price matching existed is worth it.

I don't give one recommendation to each and every person based on my own personal opinion. Technology is dynamic, it's about you as the buyer, not about the brand, which is what most people buy off of. If you are a gamer and you want the most powerful, exiting, visually and audioly (not a word buy it works) perfect device, I'll recommend the PS4. If you want great but slightly (but not my much) gaming power but added features in the entire spectrum of entertainment and gaming whilst doing something else on the other half of the screen for example, XBone it is.

I personally am a PS4 fan. But I don't believe my opinion should be what someone else buys off of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JF, the sad thing about is when I do some simple research and than go to said store and ask questions, the employee has not a clue. Now this mainly pertains to golf stores and I am in no way criticizing best buy but the employee should know what they are selling. Believe me I am for more mom and pop type stores than chains and am more than willing to pay a few bucks more for knowledge than just a dumb **** that hasn't a clue. All in all the big chains can price match but choose not to, it's whatever will get you in the door IMP.

Very rarely do I have a good experience when I go into the Best Buy nearest me. The employees just don't seem to have a clue about most of the products in their "areas". Can't even count the number of times I've asked a question only to have the employee give me the complete wrong answer, which then forces me to return the item.

Something that they changed recently was merge several departments to create the "lifestyles" department. It consists of appliances, gaming, media (music and movies), cameras (DI), car audio, and music speakers (Bluetooth, docks, boom boxes, etc...). We also dabble in home theatre and mobile (I do anyway). So an employee who knows everything there is to know about cameras but has to help in appliances because it's his department may not even know the difference between top freezer and French door fridges. It's a pain for everyone and makes no sense. Not saying it's always going to hurt the customer, but it opens the door for having an unknowledgeable employee talking to you when he could burn your ear off in another department.

I'd rate myself like this:

Appliances 3/10
Gaming 9/10
Music 10/10
DI 5/10
Car audio 6/10
Media 10/10

Mobile 5/10
Home Theater 7/10

It creates problems when I have to answer questions about steam vs gas driers or SLT cameras because it's my department. Everyone has the same case unless they are product knowledge superman.

Just to add, I think it's great that you are here to help. I hope you don't think I am being a dick. You seem like one of the few that are willing to help.

I actually have nothing but positive comments on Best Buy. I have purchased appliances, computers, big screen tv's and cameras. After I complete my research, I check for best pricing and often they are less cost. The sales people I have dealt with have been knowledgeable and helpful. I have never had a bad experience on a return. I guess I just depends on the store you go to. I have never pursued the price match. If they are higher, I go elsewhere.

JF, the sad thing about is when I do some simple research and than go to said store and ask questions, the employee has not a clue. Now this mainly pertains to golf stores and I am in no way criticizing best buy but the employee should know what they are selling. Believe me I am for more mom and pop type stores than chains and am more than willing to pay a few bucks more for knowledge than just a dumb **** that hasn't a clue. All in all the big chains can price match but choose not to, it's whatever will get you in the door IMP.

It irks me that BBY pushes selling skills over product knowledge for employees. They say a good salesman can sell anything, which isn't necessarily true. How does one sell an Xbox One without knowing what SmartGlass is? There needs to be a standard for product knowledge and a condensing of departments into smaller ones.

Just to add, I think it's great that you are here to help. I hope you don't think I am being a dick. You seem like one of the few that are willing to help.

Not at all. I'm loving the discussion.

It irks me that BBY pushes selling skills over product knowledge for employees. They say a good salesman can sell anything, which isn't necessarily true. How does one sell an Xbox One without knowing what SmartGlass is? There needs to be a standard for product knowledge and a condensing of departments into smaller ones.

A good sales person can sell anything. Just as someone with all the knowledge in the world can be a terrible sales person. I can assure you that I could sell an Xbox One with no problems in that store and have no idea what SmartGlass is.

I always have O.K. experiences when shopping at best buy. Although usually when I am going there it is to make a purchase that I have spent a good amount of time researching myself. I usually only purchase "big ticket items" when there, however I have come across knowledgeable people who are willing to help and educate me for the most part.

When I go into Best Buy or any store with the purpose of buying something specific, I have already done tons of research on it. I might need to compare some things which is impossible to do without actually seeing the product, but I already know that I am buying this or that when I walk in the door. Only thing left for me at that point is to get a deal done. Not so much golf equipment, but electronics/appliances/automobiles, etc.

I might ask questions abput things if I just happen to drop in unexpectedly, but I am still going to go home and research the carp out of it before I buy it. Drives my wife nuts!

What ticks me off at Best Buy (unless they have changed this practice) is they ask THREE times if I want the extended warranty. The last time I was there, after they asked me the second time, I told them that I know they are supposed to ask three time, but if they ask me again I am walking out of the store. They didn't ask a third time that time. Take no for an answer the first time!

A good sales person can sell anything. Just as someone with all the knowledge in the world can be a terrible sales person. I can assure you that I could sell an Xbox One with no problems in that store and have no idea what SmartGlass is.

I used that as an example. It's a pretty major new feature. To the clueless mom buying one of the new systems for her son, have at it. But to a customer who wants answers, knowing nothing besides what is on the box doesn't get the job done with electronics.

When I go into Best Buy or any store with the purpose of buying something specific, I have already done tons of research on it. I might need to compare some things which is impossible to do without actually seeing the product, but I already know that I am buying this or that when I walk in the door. Only thing left for me at that point is to get a deal done. Not so much golf equipment, but electronics/appliances/automobiles, etc.

I might ask questions abput things if I just happen to drop in unexpectedly, but I am still going to go home and research the carp out of it before I buy it. Drives my wife nuts!

What ticks me off at Best Buy (unless they have changed this practice) is they ask THREE times if I want the extended warranty. The last time I was there, after they asked me the second time, I told them that I know they are supposed to ask three time, but if they ask me again I am walking out of the store. They didn't ask a third time that time. Take no for an answer the first time!

You'd think we are on commission with the way some employees push it. I'll only offer it if I hear a trigger word (durability, breaking, last a few years, broke my last one...) or if it makes sense to buy it. Headphones for example. Most people don't have theirs for two years. Even on $25 earbuds, is it better to spend $50 of two pairs over two years or $31 for one with a two year warranty and get it replaced after one?

Agree to disagree. A good sales person is about overcoming deficiencies, and not reading off of a box.

You'd think we are on commission with the way some employees push it. I'll only offer it if I hear a trigger word (durability, breaking, last a few years, broke my last one...) or if it makes sense to buy it. Headphones for example. Most people don't have theirs for two years. Even on $25 earbuds, is it better to spend $50 of two pairs over two years or $31 for one with a two year warranty and get it replaced after one?
I'll spend a little more on one product over another, when the manufacturer's warranty is longer. What would you have more confidence in if everything else (besides price) were equal? A product with a one year warranty or a product with a two year warranty? Plus buying on a credit card doubles the warranty on many items. I don't want to have to go back and deal with a warranty issue.

Agree to disagree. A good sales person is about overcoming deficiencies, and not reading off of a box.

Features don't sell product. Benefits do.

Anybody can read about a processor or frame rate. But how that will help a specific customer's specific need is another thing entirely. Being a good salesperson isn't about making somebody want to buy something they don't need.

I'm a professional salesperson. I try to get better everyday.

Swindlers am shysters make me angry.

I did buy the extended warranty on two big screen tv's six years ago and it paid off on both. The first was a Sony Bravia DLP that used a projection bulb. It burned out twice over four years and was replaced in home - no charge to me. The second was a Samsung that blew a power supply at 2 years out and had a capacitor issue at 4 years out. Both fixed, in home, at no cost to me.

You're selling an Xbox One. Someone asks you about the SmartGlass feature. How do you proceed? No other employees are around to answer the question. Genuinely curious, I suck when someone asks a question I can't answer.

With GSP you can get a brand new product at the end of the two years essentially no questions asked, just say your sound is fuzzier than when you bought it or the battery doesn't last, etc. plus it often includes accidental damage coverage. Manufacturers are usually more complicated.

If its a specific feature and they need that info to proceed, I say can you hold on for one second and I get the answer to their question. Its about being honest and not bullsh!tting people. Those days of sales are over. But a good sales person creates a need where a want is there. That is the difference between a pencil pusher shouting specs and a sales person.

To give you an example, if you put you and I on a sales floor and you are selling those machines and I am too, I bet I win that contest. And I am not saying this to diminish your abilities, you are a fine young man that I love to see is taking his job seriously and learning the traits needed. But there are things that experience brings and sales is one of them. While you are reciting specs, I am walking people to the register with their new device.

You're selling an Xbox One. Someone asks you about the SmartGlass feature. How do you proceed? No other employees are around to answer the question. Genuinely curious, I suck when someone asks a question I can't answer.

With GSP you can get a brand new product at the end of the two years essentially no questions asked, just say your sound is fuzzier than when you bought it or the battery doesn't last, etc. plus it often includes accidental damage coverage. Manufacturers are usually more complicated.

When someone asks me something I don't know, I say. "I don't know. But I will find the answer for you." I never talk out of my ass with a customer. Happened to me today, as a matter of fact. It was a billing question that I couldn't answer until I bound the policy. But I let them know right away what they needed to hear.

If its a specific feature and they need that info to proceed, I say can you hold on for one second and I get the answer to their question. Its about being honest and not bullsh!tting people. Those days of sales are over. But a good sales person creates a need where a want is there. That is the difference between a pencil pusher shouting specs and a sales person.

To give you an example, if you put you and I on a sales floor and you are selling those machines and I am too, I bet I win that contest. And I am not saying this to diminish your abilities, you are a fine young man that I love to see is taking his job seriously and learning the traits needed. But there are things that experience brings and sales is one of them. While you are reciting specs, I am walking people to the register with their new device.

I don't sell things simply by reciting specs where the customer doesn't ask. Doesn't make sense to talk about things the customer doesn't understand or doesn't want/need to know. But, only having a few months of experience, I'm not yet at my full selling potential.

FWIW, we have a bundle that includes the console, two games, another controller, two years online service membership (XBL or PS+), two years GSP with accidental damage coverage, and two years Gamers Club (double RZ points, 20% off games, B2G1 used and value games, bonus trade in value) for $880 Xbox $800 PS4 which is about $100 off sticker price for each one. I attach it 45% of console sales the top guy in the store is just under 70%. Lots of room to improve but still decent numbers.

Back