DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe instead of going purely by purchase value we use an online trade-in estimator to establish club value. Kinda takes away the bargain hunter advantage but it does make it easier to allow use of existing gear

This is the most widely used one by golf stores: http://valueguide.pga.com

The Lake Charles event info has been posted. Hope to see many from this group attempting to get into this event.
I see a big problem for me though. I will be in a plane to Seattle for a funeral. We should be on final approach about the time the signup starts. I guess I may need to have something worked out.

I just saw that Ideal Golfer has the Tribute up again. $65 after 12 on Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:
The Lake Charles event info has been posted. Hope to see many from this group attempting to get into this event.
I see a big problem for me though. I will be in a plane to Seattle for a funeral. We should be on final approach about the time the signup starts. I guess I may need to have something worked out.

Im going to be in the same boat you are in. I have a staff conference that day in a town with crappy service for my phone. Gonna have to figure something out.

I had a crazy idea for a fun round... thought I would run it by you guys and see if anyone would dig this sort of thing. I got the idea sort of from an episode of Top Gear (british version) I watched the other day:

Format would be whatever, but something designed for fun. I'm thinking a 2-man scramble with one low and one high handicapper, using the mean handicap of the group as the dividing line. Random draw within those groups for partners. We play one round from the second tees. Lowest net wins... but here's the catch. We all have to play with an ultra-cheap set of clubs. $100 max, excluding shipping and tax. You can find clubs on ebay, in local stores, craigslist, flea markets, whatever. New, used, it doesn't matter, but you have to spend $100 or less on them and you have to get at least 10 clubs for that amount. You cannot play any other clubs, and of course a max of 14 clubs allowed. Modify them if you want, but mods are limited only to cosmetic, L/L/L and grips. Anything else must count against your total. We will all use the same balls, something cheap like the Noodle. Bring your own tees, bag, cart, etc... but the balls and clubs must fall within those rules. Maybe we find a way to allow people to use old stuff they have lying around - group votes to allow or disallow equipment before the event. I thought about giving mulligans for being under the spending cap, maybe make it a two-rounder where you swap clubs with your partner. We could figure out details if we get enough interest.

I think it sounds like a blast. When we're done we could either keep them all for another similar event or donate them to a worthy charity, something like that. would anyone else enjoy a round like that?

Can we use clubs that are 16years old and are not even listed at valueguide?:D I'm pretty sure they are not worth $100

Can we use clubs that are 16years old and are not even listed at valueguide?:D I'm pretty sure they are not worth $100

No, they need to be non-familiar to you. :)

I think half of the fun would be seeing what we could all come up with on the cheap. I started looking at craigslist for cheap clubs... it wouldn't be that difficult to find a set that is not total crap. maybe $50 should be the limit :D

If we're going this route, why not just set a date & say we can't play anything newer than 1980.

If we're going this route, why not just set a date & say we can't play anything newer than 1980.

because then I would be forced to play my old hogans and I know I'd end up shattering the driver :D

did we get the 20th figured out?

did we get the 20th figured out?

Not yet, we need to find somewhere we can play as a 5some, I know at Pecan Valley they allow it after 11, so we would need to see if there is a course in the grapevine area that will let that happen.

I will have to switch to playing Sunday instead. I took the day off on Monday but then I found out my boss is coming into town that day. I should probably be there for that, as I only get to see him a couple times per year.

Anyone game for Sunday?

I will have to switch to playing Sunday instead. I took the day off on Monday but then I found out my boss is coming into town that day. I should probably be there for that, as I only get to see him a couple times per year.

Anyone game for Sunday?

Im out sadly.

For the guys playing Monday do you have a time preference?

Guys I just posted this thread, http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?52474-Shafts-Weight-Flex-Feel with a test I think we can do to help out the forum a bit. I have located the G10 heads and discussing with the seller if I can get a deal on buying all of them at a lower price. If you are interested in participating in the test, donating a shaft(you can have it back), helping to fund the test, or anything else please go throw it in that thread and ill try to put it together.

sounds good man. Let me know when/where you plan to do the testing and I'll see how much I can contribute. At least I can try to be there to donate my crappy swing

Ok guys I have found a tee time for the 20th at 1123 for Fossil Creek for $35. I need confirmation that works and I will book it

Just got to the airport to hear up to Seattle for family matters. Got the chance to see Hunter Mahan. He really dresses down when he travels commercial. I would guess they all do. Pretty cool though. I really thought he was much taller.

Anyone know which Edwin Watts are still having the closing sales? I'll prolly be over in Dallas either Sunday or Monday so I may make a detour to see what's left :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know which Edwin Watts are still having the closing sales? I'll prolly be over in Dallas either Sunday or Monday so I may make a detour to see what's left :)

Believe the one on Preston Road is going under

Hmmm... the only Dallas store listed on their web site is on Livers Lane... I'm going to call them when they open at 10. I'll post what I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back