Cobra Bio Cell Irons Review Thread

Good job with the reviews so far, guys. Keep up the good work.

The in-hand photos of the Bio Cells are pretty surprising. The promo photos made the irons look pretty bulky, but they do not appear that way at all. Very surprising looks.

agreed... the marketing picture looks like a big bulky iron with a dual car exhaust on the back... side by side pictures against the ping and titleist really opened my eyes, and dare I say... these look kinda sexy

That's the most intriguing thing to me too. I really thought they would be huge and the offset would be more significant or pronounced. I enjoyed the reviews on these so far everyone.

That's the most intriguing thing to me too. I really thought they would be huge and the offset would be more significant or pronounced. I enjoyed the reviews on these so far everyone.

You can swing mine this afternoon Marc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra Bio Cell Irons - Forum Review

Cobra Bio Cell Irons - Forum Review

My post wasn't to say that these clubs are bad or don't do what they are supposed to, but rather that I've seen nothing to justify the massive premium over last year's models. I've seen some clubs that look quite impressive, but this seems disappointing to me. For example, I paid the premium for the G25's due to the much thinner topline and overall consistency of Ping over the years. To me personally, these irons remind me of the Nike Machspeed's or SLDR. Very hyped clubs that had a slightly odd look who people wanted to like a lot, but in most cases the launch monitor didn't support the inflated price tag. I hope the testers enjoy it, but I hope as community members we look at clubs objectively and try not to help companies with their own marketing machines. I'd rather reward Callaway for really killing it with their Big Bertha line or Cleveland with their ongoing innovations because in the long run I think this will lead to better products.

THP is built on unbiased and honest, no one is forced to write anything they don't see or believe in frontpage OR forum testings. There is NO helping companies "marketing machines" in reviews here. If it's good, reviewers say it, if it's bad, reviewers say it. Companies like all feedback, good, bad, or in-between, that's how they improve.

Also, to imply that Cobra isn't being innovative is way off IMO and that had NOTHING to do with the Morgan cup, that is from a reviewer who literally talked with them openly about their goals and designs. The Bio Cell tech itself is proven in nature, the cells allow for more strength while freeing up surface area (inside the cells) and thusly allowing a significant amount of weight movement in the design. Major changes in golf equipment are made with grams, that's a fact.

Kutros, really looking forward to your thoughts as I also play the. G20'S.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I'll do my best to give a good overall comparison review. If there is anything in particular you are looking for, please let me know, or any more comparison pictures you would like to see.

Loving the reviews everyone, especially the photos, I think I'm going to have to try them out of GS when I go...

I have to admit, that's a great looking club! I've never hit any of Cobra's products but it looks like I'll have to seriously consider doing so when I head back to the local Golfsmith. The Baffler set intrigued me but never had a chance to hit them. Great write-up guys. Cobra will definitely get some swings from me in the near future.

Also, to imply that Cobra isn't being innovative is way off IMO and that had NOTHING to do with the Morgan cup, that is from a reviewer who literally talked with them openly about their goals and designs. The Bio Cell tech itself is proven in nature, the cells allow for more strength while freeing up surface area (inside the cells) and thusly allowing a significant amount of weight movement in the design. Major changes in golf equipment are made with grams, that's a fact.

Jman- Question for you as I am still learning about Iron heads and shaft combinations & you had some in depth conversations with Cobra regarding the BIO & BIO + design and engineering.

All of my testing so far has been on the launch monitor and a few range sessions, the true test for me coming this weekend when I put it into play on the course. I know the BIO Cell I'm testing has a lighter shaft (increasing my swing speed) & stronger loft (help with increased distance) & might be the primary reason I am seeing the distance increase in terms of the yardage. I'm also of the mind that at the end of the day each tester has to put a good swing on the ball with this club to truly see the benefits of the engineering that went into this club. My thoughts right now are that the BIO Cell is packed with forgiveness, hotter face, better design & this is the reason I am seeing the numbers i'm seeing versus my CB3. I'm thinking the technology in my irons isn't even close to what Cobra put into these thus the sheer 'wow' factor that I am experiencing every time I hit a solid shot. I know the cynics will say that any other iron on the market will give me the distance increase I am seeing so I wanted to get your perspective given you've see first hand what Cobra was thinking when designing these irons. I'm not looking for comparison to other irons on the market, just wanted a more veteran testers opinion on my initial thoughts and if I was way off base in my thinking.

Jman- Question for you as I am still learning about Iron heads and shaft combinations & you had some in depth conversations with Cobra regarding the BIO & BIO + design and engineering.

All of my testing so far has been on the launch monitor and a few range sessions, the true test for me coming this weekend when I put it into play on the course. I know the BIO Cell I'm testing has a lighter shaft (increasing my swing speed) & stronger loft (help with increased distance) & might be the primary reason I am seeing the distance increase in terms of the yardage. I'm also of the mind that at the end of the day each tester has to put a good swing on the ball with this club to truly see the benefits of the engineering that went into this club. My thoughts right now are that the BIO Cell is packed with forgiveness, hotter face, better design & this is the reason I am seeing the numbers i'm seeing versus my CB3. I'm thinking the technology in my irons isn't even close to what Cobra put into these thus the sheer 'wow' factor that I am experiencing every time I hit a solid shot. I know the cynics will say that any other iron on the market will give me the distance increase I am seeing so I wanted to get your perspective given you've see first hand what Cobra was thinking when designing these irons. I'm not looking for comparison to other irons on the market, just wanted a more veteran testers opinion on my initial thoughts and if I was way off base in my thinking.

I don't think you're off base. The Bio Cells feature a MASSIVE undercut cavity as well as a thinner face, this combo shows significant impact on both misses as well as pure strikes. Add in the Bio Cell's on the rear of the club to allow the manipulation of the CG of the irons throughout the set by shifting tungsten within them and these are built to launch high, go far, and offer more forgiveness than the previous Cell line as well. Essentially they are better at funneling the energy from impact into better perfomrance. As compared to your CB3's, there is more evolution technologically in these than in those. I'm not at all surprised by what you're seeing dude.

I don't think you're off base. The Bio Cells feature a MASSIVE undercut cavity as well as a thinner face, this combo shows significant impact on both misses as well as pure strikes. Add in the Bio Cell's on the rear of the club to allow the manipulation of the CG of the irons throughout the set by shifting tungsten within them and these are built to launch high, go far, and offer more forgiveness than the previous Cell line as well. Essentially they are better at funneling the energy from impact into better perfomrance. As compared to your CB3's, there is more evolution technologically in these than in those. I'm not at all surprised by what you're seeing dude.

Thanks! Now I have an official scientific "Jman" reason to tell my wife why the Bio Cell 6-iron sleeps right next to me at night!

Another ++++ on these is the price point. $699 is a great deal in today's market, where it seems most new irons from respected companies tend to fall in the $900-$1,000 range. That has peaked my interest! As i've mentioned in other threads, i am on the verge of getting new irons and perhaps moving towards game-improvement category instead of the 'player's cavity types that i have been playing that last 15ish years. (TA3s and mp52s respectively)

I usually tend to go with 'last year's model' to save a few hundred back, but $700... hmm decisions...

i really need to go and hit these side by side with the rocketbladez (my choice of the 2013 irons)

anyone here that has spent quality time with both the biocells and the rocketbladez care to weigh in??

So much good info in this thread. I was leaning BIO Cell+ but the reviews have me thinking about a potential combo set.

Great reviews so far!

THP is built on unbiased and honest, no one is forced to write anything they don't see or believe in frontpage OR forum testings. There is NO helping companies "marketing machines" in reviews here. If it's good, reviewers say it, if it's bad, reviewers say it. Companies like all feedback, good, bad, or in-between, that's how they improve.

I'm going to piggy back on Jman's comments. Part of being innovative means being different IMO. I agree that the cavity area on this club isn't the most attractive, but I'm rarely looking at the back of my clubs when I hit them. I have hit A LOT of clubs in the last year in every category and there are times where I'm just not impressed. For the category that these clubs are in, they are a top 5 performer for me. Performance wise, it's up there with the Apex, G25, RocketBladez and JPX lines. That does not mean it's going to be the same for everyone, though. Cobra has something with the Cell concept and I think it's going to continue to improve.

I feel that the feedback provided by the testers isn't intended to hype any marketing machines. If anything, I think it helps those reading to try the clubs and see if they get similar or better results. At least that's how it's worked for me.

Good job with the reviews so far, guys. Keep up the good work.

The in-hand photos of the Bio Cells are pretty surprising. The promo photos made the irons look pretty bulky, but they do not appear that way at all. Very surprising looks.

I said earlier I was surprised how thin the top line was. Was expecting it to be a lot bigger. Pleasantly surprised! I've enjoyed lurking and reading all these reviews and everyone has done a fantastic job of building of each other.

So much good info in this thread. I was leaning BIO Cell+ but the reviews have me thinking about a potential combo set.

You and me both.

I am VERY excited to hit one of these! Demo days in april cant come soon enough.......

I was fortunate enough to hit some shots today with Knightlight's demo club today and man I can't say enough good things about this club. At address it looks like a players club, yes it's got a little more offset, yes it's a touch bigger on top, but it's still small enough to make you feel like it's for the better player and forgiving enough for everyone. The first shot came off high but penetrating and flew about 185 which is a smooth 5 iron for me. I found that it was easy to turn the ball with a draw or cut and it was effortless to get the ball launching off the clubface. This is the first offset club I've hit that I've actually liked from the first shot to the last. Very very nice club, way to go Cobra!

Popped into the golf dome today between jobs.
Testing today was off of mats, golf dome, approx. 66 degrees.

I still am in live with this clubs look at address, as has been said 100x it's not "bulky", to what I usually game it appears thin.

I like the sound of this club, it let's you know when you hit the ball well, I did have a few shots toward the heel today. Those shots were penalized in distance feel and accuracy of course, the weighting being proportioned as it I'd say helped out my distance and accuracy quite well, as a couple of my misses were well... Turds.

Ball flight was nice and high on all but my worst of shots.
This club thus far seems to be a performer!
I'd estimate today with my better swings I was hitting the ball around 155 Yds.
I'm a shorter player length wise. When I switched to my burner2.0 6 iron I was seeing right around 150.
My dispersion is also tighter with the BioCell than my gamer irons, which is always nice.

The club also seems that it would work for a wide range of players and players abilities.

The Lamkin REL 3gen grip is great! And this may be my grip of choice this upcoming season on my gamer set!

My next lesson is Saturday.

Last Saturdays trackman results.
The following are screenshots of my trackman data.
Wind blowing into my face around 15 MPH.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389838273.532556.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389838294.417697.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389838333.305219.jpg

Look at the tighter dispersion, higher ball flight, better clubhead and ball speed.
The numbers don't lie!

I was able to make the range again this afternoon & still can't quite get this club figured out. But I really think the lighter weight is somehow throwing me off. The head & shaft are so light that I think I'm "losing" it in my backswing and not able to get it back square.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting reading, but I have to admit, I hate the look of this club. Maybe it looks different when actually in hand but the cavity photos are just too much for me. Performance and price seem right though..

Interesting reading, but I have to admit, I hate the look of this club. Maybe it looks different when actually in hand but the cavity photos are just too much for me. Performance and price seem right though..

I would encourage tou to get one in hand. Honestly, pictures dont do these irons justice. Im not saying they are "blades" by no means but words like bulky or huge. They are very nice at address and perform.
Also I will say this about the loft in my circumstances. The loft is 1.5 degrees stronger then my gamers. However the flight of the ball of the bio cell is identical to to that of mine. With the lighter shaft and increase swing speed it just works. I wont get into the debate of loft strengthening, but I will say that if it goes along the same trajectory and farther then loft shouldnt matter.
I practiced for a good 3 hohrse yesterday. The range hour was mainly on starting with the lower body so k didnt hit a ton of balls. I did swing the bio for about 15 balls. Plain and simple I love it. 7yrds longer and just a solid club. I wish I had a few more irons as I would love to see what happens when the weights are in different places for different irons.

Yeah you gotta see one in person....the cavity is far less "bulky" than it appears...

I had more range time with this yesterday & have another range session tomorrow. I'll update more thoughts after that bc yesterday was really windy and while I struck it well, the flight was all over the place.

Back