Why Don't You Take Lessons?

I have taken a few lessons over the 40 odd years I have played this game. Not enough lessons for sure.
Why don't I take more? Good question, I guess I would say that the expense is part of it albeit not the main reason.
Finding the right teacher/coach is my biggest problem. I have had lessons from 4 people in my area and didn't care for any of them. (various reasons)
The only guy I have ever had lessons from that I really liked and felt confident in his teaching style and what he was teaching, was Gregory Fields at the Kapalua Golf Academy.
I booked a 3 day package with him while on vacation and he taught me more about my swing and how to improve it in those 3 days than all the other lessons combined.
Obviously he is in Hawaii and I am not, so that's an issue.

Because I'm convinced that the only difference between my 15 HCP and scratch is all mental. Who needs lessons for that? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excuses are as follows
1.) Need to focus on losing weight before I begin taking lessons~ you know cause my "swing" will change soooo much
2.) It costs too much ( cause lost balls are soooo cheap :clown:

No time, see excuse two subsection B :)

In all honesty I do intend to begin lessons in May hoping between now and then to get in better physical shape and clear the mind a bit more

I do take lessons. perhaps too many lately. I've been trying to find the right coach and just haven't had any success. In the past 6 months I've seen a total of 4 different instructors. One of whom I'm just not a fan, one who doesn't seem very interested in teaching me, and two who I actually like a lot personality-wise but who I think are trying to force my swing into their preferred cookie cutter molds that don't work well for me. Not that my time with them was wasted - I did pick up some things that I've managed to integrate into my swing successfully... but I don't think I'll be seeing any of them again.

For what it's worth, of those four instructors no two wanted me to do the exact same things. Each had some bits of good stuff and some bits of bad... and two of them were very "old school" and while I didn't argue with them I know that modern technology has proved some of what they were saying to be incorrect. Even forgetting the stuff they were wrong about, their 4 versions of the golf swing were different enough to completely confuse anyone. While I always keep an open mind and try to do exactly what they're telling me, I sometimes end up getting more screwed up than fixed.

So, I think I will stop taking lessons for a while. Practicing with the help of video seems to help me more than the lessons themselves. I know what to look for in my swing, and I know how to fix it... or at least I know what it's supposed to look like. Mostly thanks to those instructors but also quite a bit from youtube.

I guess my point is that I've learned the hard way that one cannot expect to just throw money at the problem. Not with equipment and not necessarily with lessons. I do believe that there are quality teachers out there who can teach a person to swing *their* swing effectively without needing it to exactly match the version they want to teach. We're all different, some of us more than others. Those differences will directly affect how you swing most efficiently. If I can ever find an instructor who can see around the textbook and apply solid concepts to the natual movements that already work well for me, I'll hire him. Till then it's me and the video monitors.

I found that the more advise I got on my swing, the more I would think about it and the worse it would get. I've been golfing since I was 7 and haven't taken a lesson yet so doing my own thing has worked pretty good so far. I'm not opposed to getting help in the future if it all goes away, but for now I feel like I own my swing and I know what to do with it when I'm hitting it poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking more about this lately.
Bottom line imo, no matter how we slice it lessons require practice, time, money, and more lessons and more of each in order for them to pay off. It is a process, a long, committed process of all those things if you really want to do it correctly. Even for one who takes an occasional lesson to help fix one or two things it can be argued its not really enough and requires more practice and more lessons.

Heck, even pros have instructors. And that tells me that it really doesn't end does it? In the end one must simply have the time and money to commit to it. The less one has of those resources then the harder it is to sacrifice them for this route. And because its limited to begin with then the process takes even longer. Then combine that with the fact that not everyone learns and advances at the same rates. One who may struggle in advancing requires even more time and more resources vs others and if he/she also has less resources to begin with that just further compounds the situation where the actual sacrifice of simply going out and playing rounds can almost become non existent.

Those who play and practice a ton of golf and/or who advance more quickly can often (no disrespect meant) sort of take things for granted (just human nature) with the idea and logic that "if everyone just did this in this way, then they will get so much better". But truth is, for all the reasons mentioned its not at all just that simple as they might feel it is but is something that is not so practical for just anyone to do.

Very well said, Rollin.

I mentioned in here I had my first lesson scheduled, well I just got home.

I'll say this, I'm 100% self taught and I believe I have a pretty solid understanding of the golf swing and I believe I'm pretty decent at the game too, but the DUMBEST thing I have done is waiting to get a lesson. Today absolutely reassured to me that I have wasted time by putting it off and trying to feel it all out myself. I gained more ground in one hour than I ever imagined. Lesson learned, literally, worth every cent for me.

i scheduled my first lesson for next week. Hope my results go as well as yours.

I've taken lessons in the past to address a terrible slice, a terrible hook, reach a particular score and prepare for an important event...every time there was a tangible objective. Right now I just don't have anything that means enough to me to spend the money and work at the game like I want to when I'm taking lessons, so I'm taking a hiatus from instruction.

I mentioned in here I had my first lesson scheduled, well I just got home.

I'll say this, I'm 100% self taught and I believe I have a pretty solid understanding of the golf swing and I believe I'm pretty decent at the game too, but the DUMBEST thing I have done is waiting to get a lesson. Today absolutely reassured to me that I have wasted time by putting it off and trying to feel it all out myself. I gained more ground in one hour than I ever imagined. Lesson learned, literally, worth every cent for me.
I try to tell people some variation of this all the time. Good for you for taking the leap.

When I first started playing golf, I wasn't interested in golf lessons because I didn't want to spend money on a "hobby" that I only played once a month if I was lucky. I have a unique situation in that my neighbor and good friend is the university of houston coach we would get together and he would do the video stuff and give me pointers but I just didn't have the disciplined to work on it and college coaches are busy so we wouldn't do much follow up time. I am one of those folks that need to work at my craft constantly to see improvement. Well I finally met a guy that could dedicate more time to me and more importantly me neighbor knew of him so he gave the two thumbs up. So I been taking lessons since last June and seen improvement just need to work on my game a lot more which is hard w two kids. I take lessons and then go see my neighbor at the facilities w trackman to gauge my game.
Another thing that motivated me to get lessons was the ability to play nice courses w my neighbor, I like folks that are straight up and one day he said " jack I like you like a brother, but you need to step your game up so we can golf at all these nice courses".

First of all it depends on the goals of the golfer--if I just wanted to play a half decent round on a weekend for some leisure.--well then I would not need another lesson. Like many of us now obsessed with this sport, I want to get better and I want it yesterday :) So to me its a question of how I can maximize both time and money to get better faster. Could I get to a scratch level one day on my own--maybe, many have, but I am now convinced that a quicker method for me is through quality professional instruction.

starting out I took a couple lessons on the very basics-- through Hank Haney school early on with a couple of clinics. My first couple of years looked like this: Lots of golf books, 4 full video methods (Mike Austin, Perfect connection?, Rotary Swing, Sean Clement--the full dvd version) I was pretty convinced as someone who is extremely technical and self taught in technology that I could do the same with my golf swing. Definitely way too much data--every magazine article or internet forum of gurus had my ear and my effort and I changed swings all the time. I was a complete range rat and ball pounder. My record for one day was 700 balls-- 7 large buckets. I did improve generally and broke into the 80's doing all this, but realized quickly the effort to improvement ratio had come to a crawl around 16 HCP. Time for some help..

My biggest improvement was through a full on 3 day school with an instructor that used video analysis, mirrors, etc--Given the money and time (yeah I know--can be tough) I would recommend this to anyone in the beginner ranks to adopt a program and philosophy and work towards it. I finally built a decent foundation and had some ways to follow-up on through video review etc. It almost seems that after having more of this foundation I can still look at an article or video and put it through a filter in my mind as to whether or not it fits into my overall philosophy-- but for the most part, I am no longer making major swing changes just from something I see in golf digest. 15 months post visit, I have made a couple of minor changes in mechanics, but keeping the same foundation. I am about ready to do another remote visit and video follow-up to solidify goals and have a plan going into the MC. Why go to the trouble instead of finding a local pro--its the trusted instructor thing--I don't want to have to pay to "interview" someone local who may not follow the same swing philosophy, with a foundation or style I might not like. So unless I run across someone local or through word of mouth that fits the bill, I will probably continue with the video lesson/ occasional tune up in person method

I've taken lessons in the past to address a terrible slice, a terrible hook, reach a particular score and prepare for an important event...every time there was a tangible objective. Right now I just don't have anything that means enough to me to spend the money and work at the game like I want to when I'm taking lessons, so I'm taking a hiatus from instruction.

The hilighted is where one with limited resources and limited ability to improve quickly may utilize a much needed lesson or two for. Basically to fix a major problem one is currently having. But that is different from really committing and advancing to the next levels. That just may be (for those noted in my last post) the only acceptable and only real practical limit for such a person. Anything more and it becomes the lifestyle not everyone is capable of staying with in a practical sense for many reasons as I discussed imo.

First of all it depends on the goals of the golfer--if I just wanted to play a half decent round on a weekend for some leisure.--well then I would not need another lesson.

Definitely way too much data--every magazine article or internet forum of gurus had my ear and my effort and I changed swings all the time.

For the first part above, one may wish the same goals but not all are in such easy or practical position to do so. One may only play a weekend leisure round but that doesn't mean the golf is not as important to them. For this may be all they have. Not what they truly would like to have but all they are able to have which leaves them in a bit of a pickle and why commitment to the true advancement lessons route is not always the best to suit them . That's what I meant when saying respectfully and generally speaking that others who are a bit more fortunate in resources and/or more fortunate in over all talent and ability to advance quicker can sometimes think that taking on whats required to really improve is much easier to become part of for anyone but it really is not that simple imo.

The second part I agree, far too much data and advice around and too much of it is different, taught differently and too many opinions. It can get overwhelming and be detrimental in ruining someone more than helping should they caught up in too much of it. Not every piece of advice is beneficial to every individual. You can drive yourself crazy trying to take in all the different advice you can get on the same subject from different people, pros, and instructors and many times it can be contradicting. We can only hope to find things that work for the individual and sometimes that in itself can be quite the process imo.

Last edited:
For me it's just plain old procrastination. In fact, I have a free golf lesson I got for my birthday that I haven't even used. With that said, and knowing how I am, one of the reasons I have procrastinated is because once I start the lessons, I will likely be obsessive about them. I have to make sure I have the time, and funds, to fully commit. Hopefully that happens this spring...

I just don't understand why anyone that wants to get better at golf doesn't take lessons. I take one a month and it only costs me $40 for a 1/2 hour session that usually lasts a lot longer.

I know a big reason for me is because there aren't too many lefty instructors around. I know the principle is the same, but it's still different. The way I have improved in the last couple of years there is no way I would start lessons now. It feels kind of nice to learn the golf swing and be able to teach yourself. I watch a lot of slow motion video of lefty golfers and then make adjustments from there, but no formal instruction. I don't think lessons work for everyone.

I know a big reason for me is because there aren't too many lefty instructors around. I know the principle is the same, but it's still different. The way I have improved in the last couple of years there is no way I would start lessons now. It feels kind of nice to learn the golf swing and be able to teach yourself. I watch a lot of slow motion video of lefty golfers and then make adjustments from there, but no formal instruction. I don't think lessons work for everyone.

So watching a face on video of a right handed golfer isn't exactly like looking in a mirror?

So watching a face on video of a right handed golfer isn't exactly like looking in a mirror?

Looking in mirrors can be scary. You know like when your sitting on the thrown in your hotel room bathroom. You close the door, sit down, and there is always this strange and out of shape, ugly guy behind the door who stares at you! And he isnt good at golf iether.

You know, sometimes people can be taught a good enough swing for them but then maintaining it consistently is another story and even through repetition not always achieved. That in itself has a lot to do imo with why the sport in general is easier or harder for one person vs another.

i dont because i have been golfing seriously for about 5 years and have improved each year started shooting in the low 90's and have leaked into the high 70's last year. this year my goal is to shoot a 75 or better.

sean clement youtube videos are my lessons and good practice wish me luck.

Well I just started a 6 half hour lesson package with a new instructor. Hopefully this goes better than the last round of lessons.

For me it was because I got to where I was with never taking a lesson. Was shooting in the high 80's low 90's and had fun so it never bothered me. That was until I started playing with some THPers that were shooting in the 70's consistently and it made me want to get better.
Started taking some lessons last season instead of buying a new Driver and the difference has been substantial. We mainly worked on my driver because that was giving me the biggest problem. Massive slices on just about every drive in the beginning of last year and by the end of the year I was bombing them. My miss is a hook now and that is only about 2 or 3 times a round. The rest of the time I'm either in the fairway or just off of it in the rough. This winter been working on shots from a 100 in with my teacher and am really looking forward to getting out on the course once all this snow is gone. I'm sold on the need for lessons.

As long as I saw improvement in my game I never considered lessons. After a long layoff when I came back to the game lessons became imperative for my enjoyment of the game to continue.

Well I am practicing what I preach,I have my first lesson with my new instructor next Tuesday morning. I'll be working with Brad Brewer for the foreseeable future.

Well I am practicing what I preach,I have my first lesson with my new instructor next Tuesday morning. I'll be working with Brad Brewer for the foreseeable future.

Scary to see where your game could go from here. Good luck Freddie.

Interesting. What are you looking to get out of the lessons? Why are you taking lessons?

Back