Cobra Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ Driver Preview

I'm going to the PGA store to check these out in a little bit. I'm a bit upset that I can't bring along my slew of myfly-adapter'd shafts to try out in that new head. Won't stop me from hitting the stock shaft though. Maybe they'll have some other options to test as well.

I'm going to the PGA store to check these out in a little bit. I'm a bit upset that I can't bring along my slew of myfly-adapter'd shafts to try out in that new head. Won't stop me from hitting the stock shaft though. Maybe they'll have some other options to test as well.
Wasn't a huge fan of the PXv before, and still don't like the feel of it in the Bio Cell. The PGA store I went to today only had the stock shaft options as the others hadn't come in yet.

Thats awesome! Hopefully he took more in hand photos of that one and will update the thread for all of us!

That green is preeeeeeeeeetty.

More pics to come when I get home. Stock shaft probably isn't a good fit for me, but felt more in line with the flex than last year's.

It's taking all that I have not to pull the trigger on this green monster. Have to hold out for Bertha and compare.

It's taking all that I have not to pull the trigger on this green monster. Have to hold out for Bertha and compare.

I'm holding out for the + to compare. The fact that the + comes with a Red Tie is a major motivator to wait

I'm holding out for the + to compare. The fact that the + comes with a Red Tie is a major motivator to wait

I completely agree, but that green is just awesome. Now if the + comes out in green.... Now we have a MAJOR ponder.

Good news travels fast! Had a red one to send to #cookie, but I don't have his number either War:confused2:. Phone pics are uploading and will post when I adjust the size of them here.
CAM00092.jpg

Grafalloy Project X - PXv
Let me preface all this by saying it was a quick visit and by no means am I closing the door on this shaft. However, it did not get along with me as I would have liked and just felt butt heavy...really butt heavy. If that is even a term. I did feel that the flexes were closer to what they were labeled as and hit both the 5.5 and the 6.0. Could really tell a difference between the two, not miles, but a difference for sure. I just couldn't get comfortable behind either one of them but what I did notice, and liked, was the spin was down from the cell...just stock.

BiO CELL Driver
Same goes here, just a quick visit, but I liked what I saw. Combination of the shaft and head gives numbers, but I was seeing 500+ lower numbers with the BIO Cell. Sub 2500 as well as 3400 plus on whacked swings. Which makes me even more excited to see the +! I started out at 9.5 and was getting crazy low launches from contact just above center and just outside the sweet spot towards the toe...say 8.5 and lower launch numbers. Granted, grain of salt in a sim but was surprised. I could not really hit up on the ball due to the short tee that was in the mat, so that could have been in play as well.

I pushed it up to 10.5 and saw the launch number move up to 12 and think I could even push the envelope higher on the loft adjustment I think. Could not even think about it with the Cell, just too much flight and spin.

Was surprised to see more draw and cut possibility's with more movement than last years cell. Again, just a quick visit, in jeans and work boots so by no means is this a reality check especially on a simulator.

More in a minute, pictures are uploaded....Got a few bags of cobra tees for stopping by, which was cool.

I am a bit nervous that people will pick up the combo and just not get it again this year, or I may be totally off base here. A lot of people didn't like the stock shaft last year, but I didn't mind it as most as those that didn't. Not a great fit, but way the PXv this year just doesn't feel good to me when picking it up. So if all goes as normal with me, everyone else will love it...ha!

I'm still just as excited, if not more, to go visit GolfSmith this weekend and see if they have some other shafts available. With the reduction in spin numbers I was seeing (again..quick visit), the BIO + has me even more excited than I initially was. Not only for the shaft, but the low spin combo. Forgiveness was there as always with my experience with the Amp line, but the contact tape I had on it did not show any large toe or heal variances. There was usually half of the ball close to center. Looking forward to some more time with these beasts!

The Green is BRIGHT!!! Might not be for a lot of people, SOOOO Bright! I thought it looked really good in person. Seriously, these pictures do NOT do it's brightness justice:
CAM00100.jpg

CAM00101.jpg

Here is a side by side with last years Cell:
Spoiler

CAM00094.jpg

CAM00095.jpg

There is a different shape to the driver, couldn't put my finger on it, but not just a paint difference. Or it could have just been me.

Didn't take pics of all the colors, but here is the Black and the Red:
Spoiler
CAM00099.jpg
CAM00098.jpg
CAM00096.jpg

Also took a picture of the hybrids to show the change in the silver from last year, a little darker. The shape and size look similar:
Spoiler
CAM00097.jpg

Did not hit the FW's or Hybrids and they were out of the Cell FW's so couldn't compare, but looked the same from memory. Again, looking forward to some more time with the entire line this weekend. Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited:
They're also giving you a free bag of Cobra Bio Cell tees at Golf Galaxy. I was just there hitting the Bio Cell again and walked out with 5 bags (not very busy in there today). I had the chance to hit this club a couple of weeks back, but didn't get a chance to spend a ton of time with it. I like it, but not enough to want it in my bag. I really think the shaft is what's killing it for me. The club sets up beautifully and has a good sound at impact. It's also a tad long for a stock offering. 46" is a big stick to carry for most of us. I'm sure if I put a shaft I'm fit for that is also 44 3/4" I would have had a better feeling about it.

I'm thinking the Bio Cell + is where it's at. If it's anything like the irons, I'll be a happy camper.

I hit both today too. The stock PXv is better than the fuel from last year, but it was still a bit too tip soft IMO.

The + was extremely low spinning. Fav combo so far was the bio with a white tie.

Thanks for the thoughts and pics J4u! I agree with you on the shape. The bio cell looks bigger and "longer" (best way I can describe it). Do you know if the myfly adapter is the same as in the amp cell? I'm curious if my kusala white will plug right in?!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Thanks for the thoughts and pics J4u! I agree with you on the shape. The bio cell looks bigger and "longer" (best way I can describe it). Do you know if the myfly adapter is the same as in the amp cell? I'm curious if my kusala white will plug right in?!

No, the adapters are different

thanks for those pics J4u! Those really look good. i am going to have to see if the local golf store has these yet.

Hmmm, bite the bullet and eat Ramen for the week, or wait...

Spoiler
5551469098_16f52b6379_z.jpg

Great initial thoughts J4U!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No, the adapters are different

That is correct. Not sure what the change would have been within the adapter itself (besides the loft changes), but the cogs are smaller and more of them. My thought is if that had not been altered, the Cell adapters would have worked just fine. Regardless, it doesn't fit and will be on the search for a new tip.

That is correct. Not sure what the change would have been within the adapter itself (besides the loft changes), but the cogs are smaller and more of them. My thought is if that had not been altered, the Cell adapters would have worked just fine. Regardless, it doesn't fit and will be on the search for a new tip.

Its all about weight, the new adapter saved some weight that they wanted for the design.

I can't say that I'm surprised, but an adapter is cheap so no big deal! Thanks for the clarification.

If you find a good source let me know. So far I've only been able to find some that are coming out of China, which concerns me as to their authenticity.

Um.....

If you find a good source let me know. So far I've only been able to find some that are coming out of China, which concerns me as to their authenticity.
Going to keep an eye on Dallas Golf, they had the real deal last year at a great price and pretty quick. No more ebay adapters for this guy.

Its all about weight, the new adapter saved some weight that they wanted for the design.
Every gram counts, thanks for the clarity sir! Pretty amazed at how the smallest of variances will affect something, learning every day...and that's a good thing.

is that true? I can't imagine there would be more than a gram or two difference. I thought it was about changing the loft selection. Now I'll have to buy one so I can weigh the two adapters :D

Back