odd question. olympic gold or ryder cup

Ryder cups come and go, while that doesn't take away from the importance or desire to win it, the chance to call yourself an Olympic gold medalist is rare territory that I personally feel a majority of professional golfers are looking forward to very much.

Im going Ryder Cup all the way also. I mean sure I wouldn't mind have a Olympic Gold Medal, but the Ryder Cup is just so amazing.

For me, it would depend on the format of the Olympic event - if it is an individual event then I would pick the Olympic gold medal over the Ryder Cup, despite how big an event the RC is. My reason for that choice - a Ryder Cup is dependent on everyone in the team, whereas the Olympic event is only you against your opponent

If the Olympic event was a team event, then I would probably choose the Ryder Cup due to the history of the event

Gold Medal for me. That's top crop. That doesn't mean I'm not a golf fanatic by no means and wouldn't want Ryder but, A chance to participate in a event every four years is humbling.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Tapatalk

Being a golfer, it has to be the RC. But, for any other sport, it's the Olympics. The RC has so much history.

When Olympic golf happens, it will almost seem, to me anyway, like some sort of "funny money" event that used to happen in November. Not to degrade the Olympics in anyway. But, golf is not an Olympic sport. And, I wish they wouldn't have made it one.

But, for golfer that live in countries that don't participate in the RC, or even now, The President's Cup, I could see how they would like the Olympics idea. And, I didn't realize, until last month, that there is now a Europe vs Asia event. But, I don't think most of EUR's top talent participated.

I would also add that, in every Olympic sport, no one typically disagrees with the fact that a gold medalist is probably the best in the world at their sport. In golf, it just means you played well for 4 days. So, I don't think Olympic Gold in Golf rates nearly as high as a golf in any of the other Olympic sports.

Last edited:
Being a golfer, it has to be the RC. But, for any other sport, it's the Olympics. The RC has so much history.

When Olympic golf happens, it will almost seem, to me anyway, like some sort of "funny money" event that used to happen in November. Not to degrade the Olympics in anyway. But, golf is not an Olympic sport. And, I wish they wouldn't have made it one.

But, for golfer that live in countries that don't participate in the RC, or even now, The President's Cup, I could see how they would like the Olympics idea. And, I didn't realize, until last month, that there is now a Europe vs Asia event. But, I don't think most of EUR's top talent participated.

Actually golf was an Olympic event.

Golf doesn't get into the Olympics unless the PGA throws considerable effort into it*. So obviously the PGA sees value in having golf in the Olympics. Maybe it's to draw in younger crowds, get them exposure to golf at an event that covers a wide swath of athletic prowess ... maybe it "mainstreams" golf a bit more and makes it more accessible to kids.

*By the looks of it, the PGA is overseeing the course's construction for the 2016 Rio Olympics and the course was designed by an American. Read it here.

The PGA just may indeed see value in it and may even push for it but who's to say they will have much input or that the Olympic committee will even want them involved? I don't really have any idea. For all we know they may also even play by some different rules.

According to what I found it will be (i did not already know this) at the 2016 summer games in "Rio". A 72 hole stroke play for men and also another for women. I think that's pretty cool however it will be individual and not team play. But who knows perhaps team match play will be something added in the future.

As cool as it would be to win an olympic gold, I would take the Ryder Cup win. More than anything just for the experience of participating.

Pretty neat thread! I'd go Ryder Cup for sure. NOTHING gets me as excited as watching the Ryder Cup. If someone came to me and said for the rest of your life you have to choose to either watch Ryder Cups or Super Bowls, I'm picking the Ryder Cup. Something about the atmosphere that the event creates just gets me so jacked up. Seeing those guys play for a team, for a country and not themselves and play together as teammates it's just freaking awesome.

Not to degrade the Olympics in anyway. But, golf is not an Olympic sport. And, I wish they wouldn't have made it one.

I totally agree with that. There are a few sports that I don't think should be Olympic sports. Tennis is the other big one. You can tell how much an Olympic gold meant to Roger Federer the way he failed to show up against Andy Murray in the final at a location not a few weeks earlier had played outstanding to beat Murray in the Wimbledon final. If the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of your sport, it shouldn't be in is my view.

It has to be the Ryder Cup. Every major has the best from around the world competing against each other. Give me a Ryder Cup for my country and a Major trophy over an Olympic gold.

ryder cup with a keegan bradly fist pump all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryder cup for me. More history and prestige when you consider golf history.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

For me it would be gold medal, While I understand you are essentially representing your nation in either , I feel the stage of the Olympics gives a better chance to bring more people to the sport we love so much.
I also feel that if it where me personally the experience of the Olympics, (opening ceremony, Olympic village, Closing ceremony) would be something incredible. (not saying the Ryder cup isn't amazing)

Hummm...good question. I supposed if I'm being honest, if given the chance to win the first EVER Gold Medal for Golf in the Olympics, I'd choose that. However, to be on a Ryder Cup Team for the USA, and help win that, would be awesome, too.
So my answer is...if it's the FIRST EVER Gold Medal, I want that....if not, then give me the Ryder Cup.

probably this

Olympic gold would of course be a great victory to anyone, but the "value" of that medal will be set by the field. I do not believe that the Olympics will have truly the best of the best playing, because some of the players will be passing the opportunity, some will be injured, some have family reasons, feel to old, or just simply don't see the event as their thing or they aren't eligible for some reason. I believe that the speculation of the players competing will be long and full of opinions.

If the field is prestigious enough the gold medal will have a huge impact and the game will benefit a lot, but if there's not enough of the best of the best players, Olympic golf will not be taken seriously and could end up as a second class tournament.

It's a tough one for me, because you have classic matches from both that will always stick with you (Miracle on Ice, War on the Shore etc...) I'd have to go with a Ryder Cup right now because I feel it's more pure than the Olympics (I can't stand the IOC, but that's for another time).

Back