Smoking On The Driving Range?

Same in Cali, of course everything is more expensive here....Do you know how many new clubs a month one could buy if we used the money from smoking two packs a day!:banana:

Oh yeah it's crazy how much money is spent on Cigarettes. What really makes me mad is that a lot of insurance companies won't cover the pills that are supposed to help you stop smoking. They are something like $200 for a 30 day supply and sometimes it takes people up to 90 days before they finally quit. A lot of people figure the cost buying a pack of cigs is less expensive then taking the pills.

You cannot possibly know that. Some people due to religion and other things take major offense to swearing. Others find the smell of cigarettes horrible. I dont like either, but it is different for different people

I'm sure it is different for some and not others.....IMO i would rather hear someone cuss then have to deal with smelling someones second hand smoke, and having it kill me slowly......:confused2:

Oh yeah it's crazy how much money is spent on Cigarettes. What really makes me mad is that a lot of insurance companies won't cover the pills that are supposed to help you stop smoking. They are something like $200 for a 30 day supply and sometimes it takes people up to 90 days before they finally quit. A lot of people figure the cost buying a pack of cigs is less expensive then taking the pills.

Do you think insurance companies should be obligated to cover something that's a habit? I'm sure our premiums would sky rocket.....On another note I wonder what is in "second hand smoke" that affects us non smokers worse than the actual smoker......

I agree that it is a person's right to smoke, as it is not against the law, nor prohibited at my local range. I dont smoke, however, if I were to smoke, I would be conscious of other people around me and maybe find the downwind area to practice at, or simply go on a short walk when I needed a smoke. I feel that some smokers have an attitude about them, like it's their right, even if it clearly bothers others around them. What if I were a nudist at the range? There is no sign posted to prohibit that? :banana: Okay, that might be illegal, but perhaps I like to golf with a boombox playing heavy metal?

Rights and Freedoms often come up in the same conversation. We can't always enjoy our own rights and freedoms without RESPECTING the rights and freedoms of others. It seems we have a fairly respecting group here at THP but both smokers and non-smokers encounter the opposite every day.

I bet you are glad that I quit smoking.[/QUOTE

The cigars don't give me the trouble that cigs do. I'm not sure why. My dad smoked a pipe some years ago and that didn't bother me much either. Cigarettes are the only thing that can destroy my sinuses out in the open.

Just to add a little something, smoking is one of those things that you make a conscious decision to start doing, knowing full well the social repercussions. We are no longer naive to the effects that it has on our bodies and the bodies of those around us. There is no mystery surrounding the addictive properties of nicotine anymore. I know stuff happens and kids start smoking at a very impressionable time but I can't be responsible for those decisions nor should I have to suffer ANY sideffects of them. We already spend $10 billion as taxpayers for smoking related health problems through medicaid. As severely as it effects me physically, I don't feel as though I should ever have to experience a single whiff of cigarette smoke for the sake of my health both currently and in the future. If you want to smoke in your home, car, yard... I can live with that. If you go out of your way to make sure no one gets the smoke in their face and you want to smoke outside in public, I can respect that too. Other than that, I'm pretty apathetic to smoker complaints about restrictions on smoking in public. Hopefully that doesn't come across too abrasively.

Last edited:
Do you think insurance companies should be obligated to cover something that's a habit? I'm sure our premiums would sky rocket.....On another note I wonder what is in "second hand smoke" that affects us non smokers worse than the actual smoker......

It's the same argument with gastric bypass surgery. Sure people have to jump through hoops to get it approved by the insurance companies but they will eventually pay for it. Should our premiums go up because people chose to eat unhealthy for years? These are all very touchy subjects that can easily offend many.

I agree that it is a person's right to smoke, as it is not against the law, nor prohibited at my local range. I dont smoke, however, if I were to smoke, I would be conscious of other people around me and maybe find the downwind area to practice at, or simply go on a short walk when I needed a smoke. I feel that some smokers have an attitude about them, like it's their right, even if it clearly bothers others around them. What if I were a nudist at the range? There is no sign posted to prohibit that? :banana: Okay, that might be illegal, but perhaps I like to golf with a boombox playing heavy metal?

I couldn't have said it any better sacul!

It's the same argument with gastric bypass surgery. Sure people have to jump through hoops to get it approved by the insurance companies but they will eventually pay for it. Should our premiums go up because people chose to eat unhealthy for years? These are all very touchy subjects that can easily offend many.

I'm not sure gastric bypass is in the same category as smoking.....

I'm not sure gastric bypass is in the same category as smoking.....

But your argument was that why should our premiums go up because other people choose to smoke? If that is the case then some could argue that it's not fair that our premiums go up to help pay for gastric bypass because others chose to over eat. I know the health factors to others are different, but this is strictly based on someone's choice to smoke and/or over eat.

Last edited:
But your argument was that why should our premiums go up because other people choose to smoke? If that is the case then some could argue that it's not fair that our premiums go up to help pay for gastric bypass because others chose to eat. I know the health factors to others are different, but this is strictly based on someone's choice to smoke and/or eat.

Everyone has to eat to survive dear ;)

Just to add a little something, smoking is one of those things that you make a conscious decision to start doing, knowing full well the social repercussions. We are no longer naive to the effects that it has on our bodies and the bodies of those around us. There is no mystery surrounding the addictive properties of nicotine anymore. I know stuff happens and kids start smoking at a very impressionable time but I can't be responsible for those decisions nor should I have to suffer ANY sideffects of them. We already spend $10 billion as taxpayers for smoking related health problems through medicaid. As severely as it effects me physically, I don't feel as though I should ever have to experience a single whiff of cigarette smoke for the sake of my health both currently and in the future. If you want to smoke in your home, car, yard... I can live with that. If you go out of your way to make sure no one gets the smoke in their face and you want to smoke outside in public, I can respect that too. Other than that, I'm pretty apathetic to smoker complaints about restrictions on smoking in public. Hopefully that doesn't come across too abrasively.

Right on!

Re: Smoking On The Driving Range?

I'm a smoker myself (unfortunately) but when I'm at the range I typically walk away to a secluded area to have a cig. It usually happens when I'm having a frustrating time getting my swing down. I find that if I walk away and have a smoke when I get back I'm more relaxed. I know it's just mental but seems to work. I just need to figure out how to walk away and eat a carrot and have the same results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But your argument was that why should our premiums go up because other people choose to smoke? If that is the case then some could argue that it's not fair that our premiums go up to help pay for gastric bypass because others chose to eat. I know the health factors to others are different, but this is strictly based on someone's choice to smoke and/or eat.

I agree with you, smoking cessation programs should be paid for by the insurance companies as a preventive measure. The insurance that I have will pay for it, of course I pay higher premiums as a tobacco user. (There is a substantial difference between user vs. non-user costs)

I bet you are glad that I quit smoking.[/QUOTE

But what about the people that want to get gastric bypass?

Everyone has to eat to survive dear ;)

Ya but people dont have to eat Baconators from Wendys twice a day.

I agree with you, smoking cessation programs should be paid for by the insurance companies as a preventive measure. The insurance that I have will pay for it, of course I pay higher premiums as a tobacco user. (There is a substantial difference between user vs. non-user costs)

You told them about the Copenhagen. I always kept it on the down low, my dentist is the only one who knows and I pay him cash.

You told them about the Copenhagen. I always kept it on the down low, my dentist is the only one who knows and I pay him cash.

Yeh but that affects my health as well.....and my insurance premiums.....i think :confused2:

Yeh but that affects my health as well.....and my insurance premiums.....i think :confused2:

We all pay for it.

Exactly, eating for sustenance and eating because you're a glutton are totally different things.

Yeah I told them, I know a lot of people that don't. I just figured that honesty is always the best policy. With my luck something would come up and they would deny any coverage.

I was gone for a while so I couldn't respond but it looks like MO and Gasman hit the nail on the head. I agree with them completely!

I was gone for a while so I couldn't respond but it looks like MO and Gasman hit the nail on the head. I agree with them completely!

Me too......and we did miss you:beauty:

Yup, my doctor gave me Chantix(sp), and I went to get it filled and it was $120 a month and I would have had to take it for 3 months. Then I read that some of the side effects were suicidal thoughts.

So I just went and bought a pack of cigarettes instead... Figured it was a lot cheaper and I'd probably live longer :D

Re: Smoking On The Driving Range?

I'm with you craig. The side effects of that chantrix are rather insane. I've ha good luck with the patch in the past so I may have to give it another try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very touchy topic to say the least, I have never smoked in my life but both my parents did and have friends who do as well. Not really sure just where I stand but as someone who is fighting a battle against lung cancer as well as two others I have to stay as far away as I can from smokers. However I will say this, trust me it's not worth it to chance going through what I have been doing for the past (7) months and will galdly continue as I work towards my goal of cancer free. The total this fight takes from you physically, emotionally as well as physiologically is while not the tortures of the damned it's tough. I pray that none you ever go through this, but with the ratio going up to 1 in 3 people does it make sense to increase your odds?

Back