Re-shafting advice

C-Tech

Reaction score
Handicap
I am the proud owner of a set of Tommy Armour Silver Scot Forged Blades. They are beautiful clubs but I bought them off eBay with Rifle MT85 graphite shafts. I got the graphite in an effort to protect a chronically sore elbow. Since then, the elbow problem has disappeared and I am not happy with the graphite shafts. Even though they pretty stiff for graphite, they are not what I want in an iron.

I took an online fitting test at some shaft supplier and it indicated that the Project X 6.5 or the TT XL Stiff would be a good choice.

Anyone on here who is an equipment guru that can give me some advice about a good shaft for me. My 7 iron distance is around 155, driver is between 220 and 250 depending on the day. My swing normally produces a mid-trajectory flight (which I prefer to a really high ball). I am a digger, not a sweeper.

I will spend some money to make these clubs better, but I do not want to break the bank either. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

I am a big fan of Nippon shafts for irons. I love the flight and the way they feel for me. I also really like the KBS shafts that are in my R9 irons. Both give a slightly higher ball flight, but not too high. I also dig rather than sweep.

The Nippon shafts I looked at were in the $25 each range and I don't think I am willing to pay that much for a spare set of clubs to fool around with. Any suggestions on where to pick them up for less than that?

C-tech, you might want to consider using one of the anti-vibration inserts in your new iron shafts, just to protect your elbow in the future.

Look into the Pro-soft inserts, sold by myostrichgolf. Might just save you from having to go back to graphitr, like me!!!

Great irons by the way!

The best way to re-shaft is to go to a club builder and try a variety of shafts to see what fits you exactly. Anything else is a bit of a guessing game. That said the Nippon's will produce a bit of a higher ball flight. Project X will give you the flight you want. Project X Flighted will help get the ball in the air with your longer irons and play more like Project X in the mid and lower irons. True Temper Dynamic Gold will produce the lowest ball flight of them all. KBS would be between the Project X and regular Rifles.

A less expensive route are the regular Rifle shafts, though their ball flight will be a bit higher than Project X it will be lower than the Nippon's. Another alternative are FST shafts. This is the same company that makes KBS. These are supposed to be very good shafts and they are very inexpensive. FST GOLF SHAFTS, STEEL IRON SHAFTS, TAPERED PARALLEL TIP - GOLFWORKS

Another inexpensive alternative are the Apollo steel shafts, which also have a good reputation. Hireko Golf Clubs: Apollo Golf Club Shafts

Good luck and let us know how it works out. Again, those are great irons.

I took an online fitting test at some shaft supplier and it indicated that the Project X 6.5 or the TT XL Stiff would be a good choice.

I don't think so.Maybe 5.5,more likely 5.0's.

C-Tech I forget to mention flex. I know golfers with swing speeds of less than 80 mph that play stiff flex and golfers with swing speeds over 100 mph that play regular flex. It depends on how the golfer loads the shaft and what kind of transition he/she has. You can get a general idea of what flex one should play based on swing speed, but shaft loading and transition quickness would probably give one a better idea. A club builder/fitter can find the exact shaft you need. Unfortunately that will not be an inexpensive route.

As far as online fitting tools, they can give you a general idea but that's it.

Again, good luck.

C-Tech -

Unfortunately, good shafts don't come cheap.

You can stick in Dynamic Gold's for about $15 per stick, the Nippons will cost more, but IMO, they're a better shaft. KBS and PX shafts aren't exactly cheap either.

I've got Nippon 950's in my irons, and Rifle Spinner's in my wedges. I'm extremely happy with them. My distances are pretty spot on with yours (7 iron just over 150) and I have the stiff flex in my Nippons.

If you want cheap, the TTLite is a pricepoint shaft, that's not awful, just don't expect it to be the same as a 'premium' shaft.

I don't think so.Maybe 5.5,more likely 5.0's.

If I could play 5.0's, I'd just stay with the stiff graphite. That is probably about where that is. Not to mention I have always played stiff iron shafts. It would take some hard data to get me into that soft a shaft.

If I could play 5.0's, I'd just stay with the stiff graphite. That is probably about where that is. Not to mention I have always played stiff iron shafts. It would take some hard data to get me into that soft a shaft.
5.0's are just a touch softer then standard DGS300's.
PX's will weigh 115 Grams for 5.0 and 5.5's VS 130 grams for the DGS300's
If you went with the DG SL's it would be 106 grams

For comparisons

DGS300 = 5.8FCM
DGX100 = 6.8FCM
PX5.0 = 5.5FCM
PX5.5 = 6.0FCM
PX6.0 = 6.5FCM

nippons aren't that easy to find are they?Not like TT offerings or KBS.

nippons aren't that easy to find are they?Not like TT offerings or KBS.

Nippon caters to the professional. They don't sell to the masses like the others do, where you can walk into any golf supply and pick one up. I'm not sure why. They may not have the distribution network in place here yet. :confused2:

You can order them through a good club building professional. I spec'd my clubs with them from PING, so I've not had to purchase a replacement (knock on wood, I won't have to)

I suggest another route.

I get many people wanting to reshaft their clubs, but their budget does not allow expensive experimenting.

So we will put them thru our dynamic fitting process, make suggestions on what shaft/s would be best..and then sell them a set of pull outs (used).

Cost for pull outs is usually about 1/5th of new shafts, plus the grips are included.

What we do is not uncommon and I see you are in Tuscon...I know of a few fellow club fitters out there I could steer you to.

I suggest another route.

I get many people wanting to reshaft their clubs, but their budget does not allow expensive experimenting.

So we will put them thru our dynamic fitting process, make suggestions on what shaft/s would be best..and then sell them a set of pull outs (used).

Cost for pull outs is usually about 1/5th of new shafts, plus the grips are included.

What we do is not uncommon and I see you are in Tuscon...I know of a few fellow club fitters out there I could steer you to.
This would be a very cost effective route and the way to go.But that's just my opinion and not meant as advice.

Steel pull-outs can be very cost effective. Almost no risk of damage. If you go new, DefCon suggest a great shaft in the FST $6-$9 each at Golfsmith. Very solid shaft.

Try the KBS shafts. Like JB said, they are awesome

Back