Swing within yourself

So true Freddie, as I have worked and shortening and controlling my swing, I actually have to think to my self take a half swing, my half swing is really a full swing lol
I also have to remember I am 5'7" not 6'3" and need to stop worrying about how far I hit the driver

Freddie, would you say using an orange whip (or SKLZ trainer) would be a good practice for making a nice, controlled swing?

What drills would you recommend to work on the 85%, sweet-spot contact seeker?

For the most part, I whole heartedly agree. But some players are simply built to play that way. ( like me ) My first lesson, my instructor watched me swing, and I said " I know, you want me to slow down." When he told me "No, I can see & tell from talking with you that is your natural tempo" I was pretty shocked. He did say that most though do come in there and swing as hard as they can, but that isn't natural for the large majority of them - to which I would agree.

But I absolutely have over swung on more than one occasion!

This is so me. My coach did a good job to get my swing more compact with my irons, but it never really took in the driver and FWs off the tee. Going to spend some time at the range figuring it out. I'm tired of duck hooks, slices and penalties off the tee!

I quit golf the first time I played primarily due to this reason. I was pretty long, but wild. I played "Army golf," fought out of bounds constantly, had no real consistency and it was just incredibly frustrating.

When I picked up the game after a 10 year total lay off, I basically was relearning. I taught myself the 3/4 slow swing. I went from long and wild to short and straight down the middle. My scores dropped, though I do occasionally duff and have a blow up hole.

My problem is now the opposite. I'm short, particularly off the tee and it puts other stress on my game. I'm trying to master dialing in more turn, more aggression and a longer follow through for more distance. I really only need it off the tee.

As I'm dialing up the turn, the wildness creeps back in. Last season I hit 70%+ fairways. This last week, I played 27 and was < 40% with the driver. I've still got a ways to go.

I'm always amazed at the distance out of irons when I'm thinking 3/4 swing and flush it. Accelerate thru the ball, good lag, compress the ball and you're hitting PW's 140 yards uphill...

Showing up at the course and doing just that is a different story.

I am so guilty of trying to kill the ball. I don't realize that I'm doing it during rounds either until it's too late.

At the range, it's easy for me to slow down and keep a nice smooth tempo. On the course where it matters......... not so much.

This is a good thread. I learned from a video I watched that the pros only swing at 75-80% in an effort to maintain consistency - do note that their 75-80% is probably like 150% for us mere mortals !

They all have that extra gear to step up to like us, that is where their errors creep in too.

But some players are simply built to play that way. ( like me ) My first lesson, my instructor watched me swing, and I said " I know, you want me to slow down."

I agree, I mentioned I'm a faster swinger as well and that is why I prefer to tell people to swing in control (without losing balance etc) vs slowing down.

My wife was watching me swing once and she said I looked like I was trying harder than the guys on tv. After taking a video of myself I realized I was swinging out of balance/control. Long story short I tweaked a couple things, synced up the top and bottom of the swing, and now she says I look like the tv. I actually gained a couple MPH on the swing speed doing this as well.

sounds like your wife is a keeper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

With your geometry (you a big man!), an easy swing should put out an 250/260 with no problem. Maybe you need to try a softer shaft & put an easier swing on it.

maybe. I guess the whole point of my post was just that it feels good to hit hard and see the ball go long. I need to figure out how to get that same good feeling in a more repeatable, less tensed-up way. I think the tension comes from a lifetime of baseball... if you don't grip the hell out of a baseball bat your hands are going to hurt, bad. If you don't swing hard the baseball is never going to make it over the fence. Golf is different, of course. I just have to embrace the difference and learn to take satisfaction from a different type of feeling.

:alien:I was told a while back to swing all clubs like you are hitting a sand wedge 50 yards. That tip really stuck for a long time, and forced me to have a feel of all clubs being equal.

Don't know if it was mentioned before, but Davis Love's dad had him hit LOTS of full driver swings that were only allowed to go 100 yds. Then upped the yardage until he was ripping those 300 yarders- but it all started with smooth, controlled, swings that hit the ball on the face's sweet spot.

Don't know if it was mentioned before, but Davis Love's dad had him hit LOTS of full driver swings that were only allowed to go 100 yds. Then upped the yardage until he was ripping those 300 yarders- but it all started with smooth, controlled, swings that hit the ball on the face's sweet spot.
Great book about a great teacher. I talked about this in another thread. I do this from time to time at the range with other clubs in the bag.

Back