DylanMT

Reaction score
A bit of an odd request, but can someone post a video/article or give advice on hitting better 3 woods? Particularly off the tee box. I know I can just google "how to hit...." but the internet is so full of information, some good and some not, that I want people to post something that has actually helped them or any advice at all.

I know it's hard to do without seeing my swing so that's just why I wanted some general tips for it. Today I hit my 21 degree hybrid off the tee and hit it about 200 yards and dead straight. No one else was on the course so I wanted to try my new 3 wood. Believe it or not it was exactly the same distance... literally the ball was next to the hybrid ball only about 15 feet to the right. This isn't the first swing with this club but it was the most successful so I just want to be able to get it working well so I can rely on it off the tee for accuracy but also more distance than my hybrid.

It could just be that the shaft in the hybrid works better for you hence the same distance as your 3w?
For me, I try and put the ball a little further back in my swing and instead of a shallow driver type swing, I try and work on getting a little steeper and hitting slightly down into the ball. I take a small divot and the ball comes out nicely.

First of all.... holy #%#! with your pic.....

Taking a divot with my wood scares the crap out of me for some reason. Putting a 3 wood in my hand and then telling me to do that and I have no idea how to do it. I feel I'd just hit 2 feet behind the ball. I think a lot of my issue is lack of confidence. I love my hybrid and I just swing away. But when I have any 3 wood, right before I swing I tend to think "well here we go..."

That sucks bud, I'm sure Freddie will find this thread and when he does he'll probably offer some more advice.
So you like the picture?:bulgy-eyes: Lol

I'll eventaully get some video of it soon. It's just a bit hard right now as no one is golfing much so hard to get someone to hold the camera.

A bit of an odd request, but can someone post a video/article or give advice on hitting better 3 woods? Particularly off the tee box. I know I can just google "how to hit...." but the internet is so full of information, some good and some not, that I want people to post something that has actually helped them or any advice at all.

I know it's hard to do without seeing my swing so that's just why I wanted some general tips for it. Today I hit my 21 degree hybrid off the tee and hit it about 200 yards and dead straight. No one else was on the course so I wanted to try my new 3 wood. Believe it or not it was exactly the same distance... literally the ball was next to the hybrid ball only about 15 feet to the right. This isn't the first swing with this club but it was the most successful so I just want to be able to get it working well so I can rely on it off the tee for accuracy but also more distance than my hybrid.

You're hitting balls in Montana in January? It's a miracle that ANY of them go 200 yds.

The difference could literally be that one ball was more frozen than the other or one was a different type of ball that cools poorly. I only play certain types of balls in the winter and I heat them all, rotating every hole, otherwise I get dead ducks. Layered balls are worse than one piece in the cold, but all have to stay warm.

If you get the same results on an indoor monitor, then look at the shafts first. A good shaft vs. a poor one is the biggest distance killer.

You're hitting balls in Montana in January? It's a miracle that ANY of them go 200 yds.

The difference could literally be that one ball was more frozen than the other or one was a different type of ball that cools poorly. I only play certain types of balls in the winter and I heat them all, rotating every hole, otherwise I get dead ducks. Layered balls are worse than one piece in the cold, but all have to stay warm.

If you get the same results on an indoor monitor, then look at the shafts first. A good shaft vs. a poor one is the biggest distance killer.

CRAP! I didn't think of the weather, we just don't get that cold here in New Zealand. I couldn't imagine a 6 or 7 month season.

It could just be that the shaft in the hybrid works better for you hence the same distance as your 3w?
For me, I try and put the ball a little further back in my swing and instead of a shallow driver type swing, I try and work on getting a little steeper and hitting slightly down into the ball. I take a small divot and the ball comes out nicely.

Whats the difference between the 3W and 3H in degrees? Ballflight, high vs low? Swingspeed with W and H?

Smells shaft issues without knowing your type of swing. How far do you usually hit your drives?

Btw, I hit my 3W exactly the same as the driver. A sweeping motion with the ball almost by the left foot.

Get with a real live PGA Teaching Pro. Nothing beats having a qualified set of eyes standing with you as you swing the club.

Never thought about the weather being an issue. It is also a new club so once it's warm out and I play with it more I might get more comfortable (then again the hybrid is just a few weeks older but I was swinging that thing with confidence within 5 swings).

The 3W is 15 degrees and the 3H is 21 degrees. 3H is on the higher realm of ballflight while the 3 wood is lower and tends to slice more.

Yeah I plan on getting lessons soon. I just wanted it to get warmer so I can take them outside and also get to know the PGA teaching pros before signing up for them.

What's your swing speeds with the 3 wood?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

hitting 3 woods is all about swinging EASY. Those of us of higher hcp'ers just can't swing it as hard as a 6 iron ... take it back with a smooth tempo & come through while hitting slightly down on it ... might try choking up on it some until you get comfortable with the length of the club. Swing smooth, slower than you think you should & let the club do the work

PS - re comment about slicing ... the 3w is a slice magnifier ... any swing flaws will come out with the 3w so another reason to really swing under control with it.

If I am having trouble with the 3wood off the tee, I tee it up a touch higher, move it back a ball in my stance, and choke down on the club. Otherwise, don't try to lift the ball in the air, let the loft do the work.

Couldn't tell you my 3 wood swing speed to be honest. Only have ever had my 6 iron swing speed measured.

I've never tried to help the ball up so that isn't an issue. I just try and make a good solid contact with the ball.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Weather has turned bad again so won't be able to practice much until it warms up.

Back