Help with my slice please ... "hit it to right field"

BuckeyeMark

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a high handicapper and a big part of that is a wicked slice. I can hit the ball around a corner!

In trying to fix it I'm reading about coming over the top and outside in etc.

Found this archived thread that talks about "hit it to right field" or "put down alignment stick from 8 oclock to 2 oclock."

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-48997.html

I saw alignment stick idea in a Golf mag article and they had done some research and it really worked and it really lasted.

Well, not for me. I have had two separate range sessions trying it and I'm shanking the ball and scrubbing it all over the place. I could sure use some help with this idea of "swing the clubhead along an 8:00 to 2:00 axis through the impact zone." For me that meant starting the club well behind me - instead of taking it away down the target line I was really working the club back behind me to get to that 8:00 position to swing through. Am I doing too much? Just keep trying it and it'll come to me?

The slice is killing me. It's got to get fixed and this "hit it to right field" or "alignment stick" idea seems to help lots of folks. Can someone give me some tips on implementing that so I can get some help out of it too? Thanks!

I'm a high handicapper and a big part of that is a wicked slice. I can hit the ball around a corner!

Found this archived thread that talks about "hit it to right field" or "put down alignment stick from 8 oclock to 2 oclock."

I saw alignment stick idea in a Golf mag article and they had done some research and it really worked and it really lasted.

Well, not for me. I have had two separate range sessions trying it and I'm shanking the ball and scrubbing it all over the place. I could sure use some help with this idea of "swing the clubhead along an 8:00 to 2:00 axis through the impact zone." For me that meant starting the club well behind me - instead of taking it away down the target line I was really working the club back behind me to get to that 8:00 position to swing through. Am I doing too much? Just keep trying it and it'll come to me?

The slice is killing me. It's got to get fixed and this "hit it to right field" or "alignment stick" idea seems to help lots of folks. Can someone give me some tips on implementing that so I can get some help out of it too? Thanks!

It is supposed to be snowing all day tomorrow but I will try and get a picture of a good drill for you to try. I used to struggle with the same thing and I know that it can be very frustrating at times. My problem was that my take away was too far outside and this could very well be your problem. If you are s****ing the ball you may have already started taking the club too far inside. Anyways, I'll get some pictures up tomorrow for you too look at.

Paging Freddie ...

If you think the path is your problem and you want to swing from "8-2" then I would try closing stance (drop your right foot back for a righty) which with help promote that path. Close your stance place an alignment rod down and visualize swing on that path. Just remember you can still go over the top. Hope this helps some.

You may want to try doing that drill very slowly, and bringing your hands down during the downswing, like you're going to try and touch your right thigh as part of the downswing. I found that my slice off the tee was due to trying to swing far too hard/fast, and my right (rear) shoulder was going out instead of down, leading to OTT and there's no way you can swing to right field when that happens. Even now if I try to kill the ball, I'll slice, but going slower and feeling like my hands are dropping slightly helped turn the slice into a gentle fade (and very occasionally a draw).

truth is imo as I am of no real authority to be giving sound advice, I believe anything anyone says without actually seeing you or having more descriptive info of your swing in more detail is going to have just a guess as much as anything even if they are very knowledgable. One or a number of incorrect things can be going on anywhere in your entire swing even though you belive your swinging on an in-to-out path. Obviously being your wickedlly slicing the ball even i can suggest many reasons. Best imo to have someone look at you. Have a local pro/instructer spend a session with you. Wont make you a great golfer but i'll bet even just one session with him will shead a ton of light on the wicked slice.

A simple band aid that might help.

Try a baseball grip or a very strong grip. Should at a minimum reduce your slice.

A slice can be produced by a number of movements. Without seeing your swing we would just be guessing. I used to be a bad slicer and have managed to cut it down to a fade - which I prefer to play much of the time. I was guilt of just about each movement that can cause a slice. You will want to look at your set up at address including the strength of your grip, swing plane, and how you swing. What I mean by how you swing is are you swinging from the top, overswinging, etc. Each of these variables can cause your club head to not be square at point of impact.

A slice can be produced by a number of movements. Without seeing your swing we would just be guessing.
There are some commonalities regarding club face angle and swing path when it comes to slices, but Buckeye is generally correct that the slice can be caused by a number of physical movements. Understand that the tips you see in golf magazines are often general cures for typical slice movements and may or may not actually apply to your specific swing. Video for Freddie - the trained professional - will be your best bet for getting started on this. Also, I might suggest a few deep breaths and some patience...curing the slice can be one of the harder tasks for the average hacker like us.

Also, I might suggest a few deep breaths and some patience...curing the slice can be one of the harder tasks for the average hacker like us.

Diagnosing the cause of the slice can be quite simple. Curing it took me years! lol Getting what is actually correct to overtake what feels natural can be a struggle. Upon occasion will still let one rip into the fairway to the right.:banghead:

If you have. An around the corner slice then you are part of a secret club. The over the top short arms through impact cut across the ball club. Let's fix one of those by extending through the swing and down the line. At least this way you can play the power fade.

By no means do I think I am teacher but I do come over top and at the beginning of really getting into golf it was a pain. With lessons over he past few years I have figured out a way to combat the over the top slice. My teacher told me to get a bigger shoulder turn and it drastically cuts down the over the top motion. With the bigger shoulder turn the club drops right into the slot. The other thing I would work on is trying to hit draw because you will doing the opposite of what produces a slice.

If you have. An around the corner slice then you are part of a secret club. The over the top short arms through impact cut across the ball club. Let's fix one of those by extending through the swing and down the line. At least this way you can play the power fade.

Trust me: it's not a secret! So I just need to make sure that I'm extending arms through impact? How about a drill to help with this?

Trust me: it's not a secret! So I just need to make sure that I'm extending arms through impact? How about a drill to help with this?

I fight the cut across as well. Here's what I focus on.

I try to get a feeling of getting my hands as low as possible. The extend down the line on the follow through. Go slow at first. Take full swings, but exaggeratedly slow full swings, just so you can learn the positions and how they feel.

The best drills I golf are rehearsed with the ball being present in slow motion. Also the back swing and follow through mirro one another. So if practice the hip to hip drip. Set the club at your right hip, swing though impact to a full extension and hip clear to the left hip. Basically slow motion swing from 9 to 3.

Hey Buckeye,

Rather than trying to fix your slice, let's just find the good swing that is within you. I used to have a terrible slice. Now maybe one out of fifty to a hundred on the course swings results in a small slice.

Go to the driving range. Pick a stall that has a target in front of it, if you can get the 150 flag, great, if not that's okay too. In the beginning the closer the flag the better.

I want you to hit the ball in line with your target (hopefully a flag) in front of you. and here is how. Take out a club you are comfortable with hitting off the ground. Maybe a seven or six iron or a hybrid around 23 to 28 degrees. WHAT WE WANT TO ACCOMPLISH Is having you consistently SWING THE CLUB THROUGH THE BALL ON A RELATIVELY STRAIGHT PATH. It is OKAY TO USE A TEE!

START by Giving me a slow take away, and when you have completed your backswing pause for a moment. Now, begin your downswing by dropping your hands an inch or so, begin your forward hip rotation and retrace your take away towards and through the ball all the way to a complete follow through. Your swing path should stay under your backswing line and your swing speed should be around 25 to 30 percent of your maximum capacity. Give me a nice high and complete follow through with your club coming to rest on your shoulder. That's it, Finished. Adjust your swing speed up or down depending upon the results you are getting. At no time exceed 80 percent of maximum.

This is the beginning of building a solid swing. Don't worry about distance, you are training your body to perform the way you want it to. Two things should remain relatively constant. The ball, until you make contact, and your head which should not move until your body pulls it up and forward on the follow through.

Remember, this begins as a quarter motion swing and tops at 80 percent. But that might not happen the first session. Control success determines speed increase or decrease. Hope this helps. David

Hey Buckeye,

Rather than trying to fix your slice, let's just find the good swing that is within you. I used to have a terrible slice. Now maybe one out of fifty to a hundred on the course swings results in a small slice.

Go to the driving range. Pick a stall that has a target in front of it, if you can get the 150 flag, great, if not that's okay too. In the beginning the closer the flag the better.

I want you to hit the ball in line with your target (hopefully a flag) in front of you. and here is how. Take out a club you are comfortable with hitting off the ground. Maybe a seven or six iron or a hybrid around 23 to 28 degrees. WHAT WE WANT TO ACCOMPLISH Is having you consistently SWING THE CLUB THROUGH THE BALL ON A RELATIVELY STRAIGHT PATH. It is OKAY TO USE A TEE!

START by Giving me a slow take away, and when you have completed your backswing pause for a moment. Now, begin your downswing by dropping your hands an inch or so, begin your forward hip rotation and retrace your take away towards and through the ball all the way to a complete follow through. Your swing path should stay under your backswing line and your swing speed should be around 25 to 30 percent of your maximum capacity. Give me a nice high and complete follow through with your club coming to rest on your shoulder. That's it, Finished. Adjust your swing speed up or down depending upon the results you are getting. At no time exceed 80 percent of maximum.

This is the beginning of building a solid swing. Don't worry about distance, you are training your body to perform the way you want it to. Two things should remain relatively constant. The ball, until you make contact, and your head which should not move until your body pulls it up and forward on the follow through.

Remember, this begins as a quarter motion swing and tops at 80 percent. But that might not happen the first session. Control success determines speed increase or decrease. Hope this helps. David

I'm confused as to what this will accomplish exactly?

The best drills I golf are rehearsed with the ball being present in slow motion. Also the back swing and follow through mirro one another. So if practice the hip to hip drip. Set the club at your right hip, swing though impact to a full extension and hip clear to the left hip. Basically slow motion swing from 9 to 3.

what do you mean "set the club at your right hip?"

With the caveat that a lesson is your best starting point, I'll tell you how I got rid of my cornering slice. First, I realized I was barely turning my shoulders. I did a drill holding my club across my chest and turning until it pointed at the ball. Helped a ton. Then I started keeping my left arm (rh golfer) straight, after I realized it was bending a lot. Between the two, my slice turned into a slight draw. Good luck!

If you really are confused by this I would suggest reading Ben Hogans "Five Lessons. The modern fundamentals of Golf." any suggestion, or drill has to be aimed and building a correct, powerful, repeating golf swing. Having Buckeye swing slowly, following the correct swing path, will not only help cure his slice, he can begin to build a correct repeating, and ultimately powerful golf swing.

Of course this is only the beginning, but you need to start somewhere and the best place to start is with fundamentals.

I don't mean to be disrespectful and I do appreciate all the advice (and I'm sure I need it) but maybe it'd be good to re-focus the thread. What I'm looking for is more information about a certain drill to defeat the dreaded slice. That's what I asked about at the top of this post. Not how to end a slice, but a specific drill that some say helps.

I would like more information about this business of laying alignment rods out with one pointing on the target line and then crossing it with an alignment rod that from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Then you swing on the 2-8 line.

That seems to help a lot of people but it's not helping me and I am wondering if I'm just doing it wrong.

If you've done this or something similar would you post something about how to do that, or easy to mistakes to make with this drill, etc. please?

I know I need lessons, and to read several books and build a fundamentally sound swing (and cure the common cold and end telemarketing) but what I really really need is information on this 2 to 8 alignment drill. Can you help me with that? Thanks!

I believe I gave you the best drill to fix this based on what you wrote in your opening post. The drills you described will not work for you as I am 100% positive there is a lot more going on with your swing that those drills can't fix.

y2ygysy5.jpg

Now this the down swing of a swing but this is what I mean by set the club at the right hip. The butt if the club should pointed at the ball in the position. Believe it or not you can hit small shots with the club starting in this position.

The key is to swing in slow motion to get a feel for proper club position on the down swing and through the ball. So swing for hip to hip, be sure the weight is in your left side take the club to the right hip and swing through to your left hip. Just swing the arms do not rotate the hips. If done correctly you will begin to hit hooks. Once this starts to happen please report back and I'll give you another tip to straighten the shot out. Trust me, I'll get you ironed out

Believe it or not you can hit small shots with the club starting in this position.

Love this one. Years ago when I was working on stopping my over the top move I would stand just like that pic with my hands set and swing from the inside of the ball and extend to the outside of the ball over and over with a smooth tempo. Within a couple days I had to figure out how to stop hitting draws =).

I still do this drill as part of my weight shift to the front warm up. I find they go hand and hand.

Is there a video of this drill Freddie?

Back