Callaway Speed Regime Golf Balls Preview - SR1 SR2 & SR3

Ricky I am not throwing this at you, but just bringing up a the discussion based on the last few posts. As amateur mid-high handicap golfers, do you think we'd even notice the difference enough to say "yes the $50 ball is leaps and bounds better than the $30 ball?" I

Ricky I am not throwing this at you, but just bringing up a the discussion based on the last few posts. As amateur mid-high handicap golfers, do you think we'd even notice the difference enough to say "yes the $50 ball is leaps and bounds better than the $30 ball?" I

Nope. Thats why I am happy with a $20 or $26 dollar dozen ball. The advantage, so to speak, that I will have is that I can check on a LM which works better for me as I progress with my lessons and swing gets better. Even still, I am not just going to get equipment for the MC that I have no intentions of playing after the MC. If I can get along with the X2Hot or SuperSoft I am definitely more likely to play those after the MC. Its a big toss up really but like you said Dean, I dont think I would notice that much of a difference.

Interesting pricing note - my friend in the golf industry said he would be shocked if the New Pro V1s next year don't launch at 49.99.

Interesting pricing note - my friend in the golf industry said he would be shocked if the New Pro V1s next year don't launch at 49.99.

Trust me, I am not complaining about the pricing as I know similar quality balls are in the same or more. Just saying that I dont have the ability to maximize the strengths of the balls at that price.

Nope. Thats why I am happy with a $20 or $26 dollar dozen ball. The advantage, so to speak, that I will have is that I can check on a LM which works better for me as I progress with my lessons and swing gets better. Even still, I am not just going to get equipment for the MC that I have no intentions of playing after the MC. If I can get along with the X2Hot or SuperSoft I am definitely more likely to play those after the MC. Its a big toss up really but like you said Dean, I dont think I would notice that much of a difference.

I like that answer. While I am not a Callaway golf ball guy anymore, I don't see noticeable difference in my Bridgestone choices. During ball fittings I see the results that the RX is what fits me. But on the course, I play a combo of the e5, e6, RX, and RXS. Majority of the time, I can't tell a difference performance wise. Subtle feel(sound) difference to me, but nothing drastic.

I've played Chromes for about 2 years and am switching to the Chrome+'s. I'm curious how much better the SR series is compares to the Blacks because there wasn't enough of a performance difference for me to justify the extra $10 a dozen to get the Blacks over the Chromes. In my own experience, there's a huge difference between a $20-25 ball and a $30-35 ball but not that much difference between a $30-35 ball and a $40-45 one. My game is good enough that I benefit from a spinnier ball, but I have a modest swing speed (about 98-102 MPH). The big thing for me is that most of us amateurs are so inconsistent away from the green (irons can vary +/- 15 yards any given day) that a "better perofming ball" is wasted on inconsistency. I like the performance around the green of a $30-35 ball and don't feel so bad if I lose one in the water and also don't feel like I'm sacrificing performance.

The advantage, so to speak, that I will have is that I can check on a LM which works better for me as I progress with my lessons and swing gets better.

I'm right here with you. Between my lessons and trying to get my swing to a repeatable motion I need to know more than ever what ball is right for me. In the past I have gone with strictly driver SS & the fact that I prefer a ball with more spin around the greens.

I have a sleeve of the SR2's and have been pleasantly surprised with their performance. Especially how they feel off the driver and iron shots. For me cost isn't scaring me off so much as I want to know if there is another ball better suited for me. (why pay more if I don't have to) I'm going through a full fitting soon and a ball fitting will be part of it. At the moment my plan is to put the SR2, XHot+, TM TP, BStone B330-RX/RXS & PRoV1. I'm just going to trust the LM & game the ball based on the results.

I like that answer. While I am not a Callaway golf ball guy anymore, I don't see noticeable difference in my Bridgestone choices. During ball fittings I see the results that the RX is what fits me. But on the course, I play a combo of the e5, e6, RX, and RXS. Majority of the time, I can't tell a difference performance wise. Subtle feel(sound) difference to me, but nothing drastic.

^^^^^^^
This seems to be true for me as well. Live B-Stone fitting showed E5 was five yards longer for me than E6. But I have played both, along with RXs and the Callaway Supersoft and do not see significant differences between any for me. I would like to try the new X2Hots, though.

For the Big Bertha Launch Event, Golf Galaxy will offer free Speed Regime ball fittings on February 14th and 15th and at the end of the fitting youll get a two ball sleeve of the ball you were fit for.

For the Big Bertha Launch Event, Golf Galaxy will offer free Speed Regime ball fittings on February 14th and 15th and at the end of the fitting youll get a two ball sleeve of the ball you were fit for.

They did the same thing for the X2Hot event. Somehow I didnt get any because they didnt have a LH driver. Sweet!

They did the same thing for the X2Hot event. Somehow I didnt get any because they didnt have a LH driver. Sweet!

You can get fit for a ball without them providing a driver. Bring your current driver.

You can get fit for a ball without them providing a driver. Bring your current driver.

They werent doing ball fittings. They were doing driver fittings and giving away a free sleeve of 2 SR2 balls if you went through the driver fitting.

I wonder if Dicks will do this as well? How much is the driver fitting?

Understood. But this is a ball fitting, not a driver fitting.

I wonder if Dicks will do this as well? How much is the driver fitting?

Big Box promotional fittings like this are usually free. They're not very extensive, but you get what you pay for.

Big Box promotional fittings like this are usually free. They're not very extensive, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks. I really just want to try out the SR line and maybe...maybe...get to hit BBA! Of course as of right now there is no indication on Dicks website that they are also going to do this.

I had a chance to play the Speed Regime 2 ball today. Man was I impressed! This is now my gamer and I think it is really going to make a difference in my game. I love the areo and feel. I had one of my longest drives since I started back playing and a good approach shot.

I've played Chromes for about 2 years and am switching to the Chrome+'s. I'm curious how much better the SR series is compares to the Blacks because there wasn't enough of a performance difference for me to justify the extra $10 a dozen to get the Blacks over the Chromes. In my own experience, there's a huge difference between a $20-25 ball and a $30-35 ball but not that much difference between a $30-35 ball and a $40-45 one. My game is good enough that I benefit from a spinnier ball, but I have a modest swing speed (about 98-102 MPH). The big thing for me is that most of us amateurs are so inconsistent away from the green (irons can vary +/- 15 yards any given day) that a "better perofming ball" is wasted on inconsistency. I like the performance around the green of a $30-35 ball and don't feel so bad if I lose one in the water and also don't feel like I'm sacrificing performance.

I fall in the same swing speed range as you. I played the Chrome and Chrome+ and loved them, but always wished for a little more green side spin (like a ProV1 or 330-S). I've played the SR 2 for 3 rounds so far and they have definitely improved the green side spin. The cover is a little tougher compared to Chrome/Chrome+. I'm halfway through my first dozen, so I'm sure I'll have more thoughts down the road.

I fall in the same swing speed range as you. I played the Chrome and Chrome+ and loved them, but always wished for a little more green side spin (like a ProV1 or 330-S). I've played the SR 2 for 3 rounds so far and they have definitely improved the green side spin. The cover is a little tougher compared to Chrome/Chrome+. I'm halfway through my first dozen, so I'm sure I'll have more thoughts down the road.

I'm curious to hear how your feelings progress towards these balls. I don't have a problem paying the extra money if there's a significant (not slight) improvement in performance.

I'm curious to hear how your feelings progress towards these balls. I don't have a problem paying the extra money if there's a significant (not slight) improvement in performance.

Totally agree with your point. I would also say that if you don't lose many balls, paying a little extra per dozen isn't bad. It's just bad when you rinse 3 in a row at $4 a pop.

Played the SR3 the past two days and absolutely love it. Great distance off the tee and green side control. On Saturday, played the same ball for 18 holes and didn't have any blemishes really. Very happy with the durability.

I just got caught up on this thread. I hope one of my local stores has a fitting promotion on these soon. I'd like to compare the three balls on a monitor to see which is best for me. I understand they are targeted for golfers with specific swing speeds. Bridgestone has done a little of that also. In their case, they fitted me twice to the B330-S despite the fact that my swing speed is not above 105; once in a B-Fit (static) fitting and once in actual launch monitor testing last year at the Outing. My favorite Callaway ball has been the Hex Black, I love Lethals, and ProV-1x. Are they the best ball for me? I'll admit, I have no idea. I've been playing the B330-S in tournaments because it is the only ball on which I have ever been shown data, and that gives me confidence. I'd probably enjoy playing any of the new SR line balls, but I really want to see some data to see which one fits best, rather than just read the box. One way or the other, I'm sure I'll get that chance.

After being out of the game for 20+ years I took up the game about 12 months ago, I didn't really know what was available or the technology behind modern golf balls. I have a slow swing speed under 90mph I was advised to use a soft ball so I chose the Srixon Soft Feel I then went to the Srixon Q Star which was an improvment. I have just recently changed to the Callaway Chrome and find it slightly better than the Q Star, it would be great if the SR1 is better than the Callaway Chrome.

I bought a dozen from the pro shop where I played on Saturday, and they threw two extra sleeves. Not sure if this is a Callaway nationwide promotion, or specific to this course. But made the overall purchase very reasonable.

I just got caught up on this thread. I hope one of my local stores has a fitting promotion on these soon. I'd like to compare the three balls on a monitor to see which is best for me. I understand they are targeted for golfers with specific swing speeds. Bridgestone has done a little of that also. In their case, they fitted me twice to the B330-S despite the fact that my swing speed is not above 105; once in a B-Fit (static) fitting and once in actual launch monitor testing last year at the Outing. My favorite Callaway ball has been the Hex Black, I love Lethals, and ProV-1x. Are they the best ball for me? I'll admit, I have no idea. I've been playing the B330-S in tournaments because it is the only ball on which I have ever been shown data, and that gives me confidence. I'd probably enjoy playing any of the new SR line balls, but I really want to see some data to see which one fits best, rather than just read the box. One way or the other, I'm sure I'll get that chance.

v.man,
If you like the HEX Black ball, then I think you will love the new Speed Regime. Performance wise, they also feature a dual core and dual mantle construction, so launch and spin off the driver will be similar to HEX Black, with lots of spin around the greens. Where you will see a difference is in flight. Based on your driver club head speed, SR1, SR2 and SR3 feature unique aerodynamics that are designed to fly farther based on how fast the ball is moving. Slower swings produce slower ball speeds, so SR1 is designed to have increased lift at low speeds. SR3 players have faster ball speeds, so it is designed with reduced drag at high speeds to maximize distance for these players. From a feel perspective all three are significantly softer than HEX Black. The launch monitor will help you select the ball for you, but playing it on course should be the ultimate test.
Thanks
@GregSabellaCG

Back