Driver & Wedge help

dsimpson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum but I've been reading posts for a while and it seems a great place for friendly and advice and tips. On that basis, I wondered if the good people of this forum could help my next golfing equipment dilemma.

I've only been playing for 1-2 years but have been gradly improving. Put together a decent bag of clubs from 2nd hand, ex-demo's and sale clubs etc. however, I feel it may be time to a) change my driver and b) add a wedge.

I've been using a Taylormade Superfast Burner 2.0 Driver but with a HT 13* as it was recommended to me as a good beginner driver to help get the ball up and away! It's been good to me but I have struggled with a slice quite a bit. Would anyone have any recommendation on another driver to help with this slice and/or what kind of degree I should be looking at.

And I'm also just thinking about adding a "proper" wedge to my set, I have a PW (45), AW (51) & SW (56) from my iron set but would it be preferable to get a 60 degree too?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

First off welcome to THP. For the Driver, the best thing I did was have a driver fitting. It was pretty inexpensive but I was able to find what head/shaft combo worked best for me and my swing. Sometimes our swings go against conventional wisdom and having numbers to back up your decision is always a good thing. As far as the wedge goes, I have enough trouble with my wedges and I always felt like a 60 degree wedge was pretty difficult to hit for me. Is there a reason in particular you want to go with a 60 degree? Looking at your wedges you have now. Maybe bending your 56 degree to 54 and adding a 58 would be a better option. Should help with gapping a bit as well.

Welcome dsimpson.

I'd hang on to the driver, skip the wedge for now, and get that slice straightened out a bit with the help of a pro. Then maybe he can help you decide where to go with the driver from there. A new driver may be a good choice, but it's not going to fix a slice.

Good luck!

Welcome. First off I second the recommendation for Lessons and Driver Fitting there is no substitute for these as far as a driver is concerned.

If you don't have that ability then from my experience I say your in the right ballpark having the higher lofted driver as most golfers use too little on their driver. One other option that may help (help not cure) your slice would be to look at a driver with offset most can't handle the look of an offset driver at address. The bright side is you can usually find great deals on offset drivers.

As for the wedge I say forget about the 60* as most golfers can't effectively use a lob wedge.

What exactly is the need you are trying to fill with the wedge? Answers to this might help with some recommendations.

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated. I've had some lessons to help fix the slice and while my swing is much improved it hasnt vanished from my game completely! I will make an effort to visit a pro and get some proper fitting advice but I may well consider an offset just for that little bit of extra help. I guess I was mainly wondering how long it was recommended to continue with 13* Driver.

With regards to the wedge, I struggle to get my cavity back PW, AW, SW etc to fly high and stop dead, spin back etc so looking at other wedge options, I must confess I was mainly thinking 60* as it seemed the next most logical gap up! I guess it would be more sensible to just look at replacing the standard wedges supplied with my irons!

And I'm also just thinking about adding a "proper" wedge to my set, I have a PW (45), AW (51) & SW (56) from my iron set but would it be preferable to get a 60 degree too?

Hi and Welcome to THP.

Wedges are such a personal thing for everyone as they have to fit your play style and comfort level. Some people love a 60° others hate them. Some like to have 4° gaps between wedges some like more ans some like less. Depending on where you are you'll like a lot of bounce or very little bounce.

Like I said, it's such a personal thing it's hard to say if you should or shouldn't have a certain loft in your setup. So the question you need to ask yourself is "what am I trying to accomplish". It's what I ask myself when I change out my setup from time to time and it works for me.

This year I dropped my 62° and went to a 58°. I learned that though I could hit the 62° it cost me too many shots when I didn't hit it well. Now the 58° doesn't cost me shots, it saves me shots. I also learned that 4° gaps played well to my game as I only have a full and half shot for each wedge.

So, if you like your set, and the 56° hits the shots you need I would say no. If you want to experiment I would pick up a used 60° and see if you like it. Only way you'll know what works for you is testing =)

With regards to the wedge, I struggle to get my cavity back PW, AW, SW etc to fly high and stop dead, spin back etc so looking at other wedge options, I must confess I was mainly thinking 60* as it seemed the next most logical gap up! I guess it would be more sensible to just look at replacing the standard wedges supplied with my irons!

I can spin a 9 iron off the green. Has nothing to do with the club and everything to do with attack angle and solid ball first contact. So you can't buy spin and a lower loft won't create more spin (unless you hit it proper)

I would stick with higher loft heck Taylormade is not trying to get people to Loft Up now. When it comes down to it your more likely to be in better shape with a higher lofted driver than to try to go lower. What is your swing speed or driver distance?

Yes I think looking at a non-matched wedge may be the next step so you will have more playability since you can find wedges with different grinds and features than your matched wedges. Look thru several of the other threads on wedges that have been reviewed SCOR and Cleveland Smart Sole are a couple that come to mind.

I'd agree to stick with the higher lofted driver...the less loft a club has, then the more "gear-effect" is likely to happen off the clubface, leading to slices or hooks. That is why it is easier to slice a 3 iron than it is to slice a pitching wedge (as an example).

Wedges are very much a feel thing, I'd try to hit as many as I could and get a feel for them. I personally carry 46-50-56-62 and it works well for me, but many others don't like anything over 58*, some like to have 64* wedges in the bag.

Great guys, thanks. And just to get me started....any particular brand of wedges I should look to try out?

First of all, Welcome to THP!

for the driver, I'd go witht he rest of the people here and think that a new toy, altough pretty and shiny, will not fix a slice, take that money for a few lessons

Great guys, thanks. And just to get me started....any particular brand of wedges I should look to try out?

they re all good honestly, vokeys, clevelands bridgestones, callaways hopkins, etc, just go to a shop and try a few, pick the one you like the most

just make sure thatyou try different shots with it (full, chips, flops, pitch)

Welcome to THP. You can't go wrong really, just depends on what looks good to you and performs for you. Tons of great equipment from virtually any OEM out there. Try em before you buy em if that's possible.

First off...welcome to THP, glad you're here! Secondly....I'd like to second what Dev said, right on the money there!

60* are a finicky tool to wield, and for most, there isn't a LOT of times you'll use it. When I first started playing I had one, and used it WAY more than I should have for chipping. I quickly found that using a 56* or less loft (54*, 48* or such) worked better for me and gave me more margin for error. It's up to you of course, and good luck with your new clubs.

As a good value wedge, I recommend the cobra trusty rusty. Inexpensive, versatile, look good, and easy to find in a variety of lofts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back