Gripping The Putter - THP TV

This made me revisit and refocus my putting grip...sure enough, I'd slipped into the palm a bit, not as bad as I was pre SPi lessons, but enough that it was impacting my stroke and adding a little cut. Fixed the grip, my pace returned, consistency went back up, good stuff. Such good stuff when you LET THE PUTTER HEAD WORK.

It's eye-opening how something as seemingly simple as your grip can get slightly "off" over time. It's great to have stuff like this video to refer to & help us "tune up" regularly!

I'm tempted to start a "Best of SeeMore" thread so all these tips are in one place & we can go back for review without plowing through pages of comments.

This made me revisit and refocus my putting grip...sure enough, I'd slipped into the palm a bit, not as bad as I was pre SPi lessons, but enough that it was impacting my stroke and adding a little cut. Fixed the grip, my pace returned, consistency went back up, good stuff. Such good stuff when you LET THE PUTTER HEAD WORK.

This is also why I love that "thumbs off" drill so much! For me, it forces me to keep the club in my fingers and I really get the feel of "no tension" in my forearms, and at the same time I can feel that I have quite a firm grip & no looseness in my fingers.

This is also why I love that "thumbs off" drill so much! For me, it forces me to keep the club in my fingers and I really get the feel of "no tension" in my forearms, and at the same time I can feel that I have quite a firm grip & no looseness in my fingers.

Any more info on the "thumbs off" drill?

Someone may come along with more info or specifics but it's basically putting with your thumbs off the grip. If your fingers are holding the club your thumbs aren't really doing much. I think it just enforces the fingers grip.

Smithfaced, thanks for the info.

THP TV caught up with one of the greatest putting instructors in the world to discuss how to grip the putter and the different methods.

JB - great video by you and POB. Very informative. Thanks again.

Someone may come along with more info or specifics but it's basically putting with your thumbs off the grip. If your fingers are holding the club your thumbs aren't really doing much. I think it just enforces the fingers grip.

It also allows the user to see what the path if the putter head will do naturally when you let it flow through the stroke. For me it has taught me how to not let the thumbs take over and restrict the release of the putter.

It also allows the user to see what the path if the putter head will do naturally when you let it flow through the stroke. For me it has taught me how to not let the thumbs take over and restrict the release of the putter.

Thanks, now it is starting to make sense to me.

First time watching this video. I am a palm gripper and will have to give to finger grip a try.

Well that video right there made me rethink how I gripped the club. I just spent an 30 minutes putting and can't tell you if I have a finger grip or a palm grip. Guess where I will be when I get home? Working on some putting. Great video!

Jman, didn't you post a video of this? I know you posted several times about it in the m series thread, but I recall either vids or pix too

Jman, didn't you post a video of this? I know you posted several times about it in the m series thread, but I recall either vids or pix too

Yes, its in the mSeries thread, we can feel free to take the discussion there so as to keep this one clean for thoughts on Pat O's awesome grip video (that I have now watched 3 times, hahahaha)

i have more of a palmy 2 thumbs down grip. i tried the ZJ grip cup the left wrist and hold through the stoke. it feels very stable and the roll it puts on the ball is sick idk if its because of the added loft or angle but it works.

i think im going to roll with this and see how it goes.

Back