Cobra Baffler XL Fairway Woods and Hybrids Preview

You are the man! Looking forward to the feedback.

I just need to spend time with one of them. If it's as solid as I expect then I will have somewhere between 3-5 of them in the bag for the Morgan Cup!

I got lots of testing next weekend. :)

I just need to spend time with one of them. If it's as solid as I expect then I will have somewhere between 3-5 of them in the bag for the Morgan Cup!

I got lots of testing next weekend. :)

You have me re-thinking some things. I think either the fairway or the hybrid at 18* could be a great fir for my game.

You have me re-thinking some things. I think either the fairway or the hybrid at 18* could be a great fir for my game.

This hybo is 17, 19, 22, 25.

I will be hitting MANY more hybrids off the tee than driver as compared to years past. I have recently fallen in love with a 2 hybo over 3w for my game.

This hybo is 17, 19, 22, 25.

I will be hitting MANY more hybrids off the tee than driver as compared to years past. I have recently fallen in love with a 2 hybo over 3w for my game.

I hardly use either of my fairways. My misses are just way too bad compared to my hybrids. Don't really see that much of a distance gain either. My set-up for 2014 will change drastically but I am not quite sure how it will shake out yet.

I hardly use either of my fairways. My misses are just way too bad compared to my hybrids. Don't really see that much of a distance gain either. My set-up for 2014 will change drastically but I am not quite sure how it will shake out yet.

I can get 225 easily out of the T-Rail 2h and I need nothing longer than that off the deck ever. If this is the same, then I'm a very happy camper.

Like you, I rarely used FW and just had such hit/miss results with it compared to a hybo.

First off it was about 30* out with a wind chill in the 20s. Wore two tee shirts, two turtlenecks, and a jacket so my mobility was limited. Played nine so I could get back home in time to see the Broncos advance.

Used the 22* twice today. Once I topped the ball and watched it dribble across the fairway, the other time was a beauty. Hit it flush and the ball traveled high and straight. I missed the green by a few yards and I knew I was going to but I wanted to see how this hybrid would perform. The next time I am going to use this is on the range since it's supposed to be in the 20s all next week.

I'm kinda excited for this weekend:

Cobra Baffler XL Fairway Woods and Hybrids Preview

I got to put the 3H into play this past weekend and am pretty darn excited with what I'm seeing. I'm a big fan of the T-Rails and know that I prefer a hybrid with gliderails on the sole.

I can safely say that all shots were good off the tee but I saw 2 different types depending on where I caught it on the face:

Center face gave me a mid to mid high trajectory that was just dead straight and this is what I prefer to see. Toe misses gave me a high trajectory with a draw on them that was still very playable and is really more of the norm for what I see.

Not too many chances to hit off the deck but I had one Sunday slightly downwind with the ball about 2 inches below my feet and 220 to the green. Hit it absolutely perfect and the ball landed on the front of a deep green and rolled to the back about 25 feet from the flag.

Fairly safe to say that I will have 4 of these in my bag for the 2014 Morgan Cup (2 - 5).

Last edited:
I love the feedback. Need to make sure I keep these on the radar when I go to get fit.

I got to put the 3H into play this past weekend and am pretty darn excited with what I'm seeing. I'm a big fan of the T-Rails and know that I prefer a hybrid with gliderails on the sole.

I can safely say that all shots were good off the tee but I saw 2 different types depending on where I caught it on the face:

Center face gave me a mid to mid high trajectory that was just dead straight and this is what I prefer to see. Toe misses gave me a high trajectory with a draw on them that was still very playable and is really more of the norm for what I see.

Not too many chances to hit off the deck but I had one Saturday slightly downwind with the ball about 2 inches below my feet and 220 to the green. Hit it absolutely perfect and the ball landed on the front of a deep green and rolled to the back about 25 feet from the flag.

Fairly safe to say that I will have 4 of these in my bag for the 2014 Morgan Cup (2 - 5).

Nice! If I go w a hybrid in the bag it'll be hard not to go baffler xl just bc of the gliderails, I love me some gliderails on a hybo.

I can get 225 easily out of the T-Rail 2h and I need nothing longer than that off the deck ever. If this is the same, then I'm a very happy camper.

Like you, I rarely used FW and just had such hit/miss results with it compared to a hybo.

I'd agree with this. If you can get 225 off of the deck and keep it in play, I'd argue you don't need anything else. Why risk wildness that comes with the longer shaft for 10 more yards?

I'd agree with this. If you can get 225 off of the deck and keep it in play, I'd argue you don't need anything else. Why risk wildness that comes with the longer shaft for 10 more yards?

I think I can get 215 on average from the 2h if not a little more. If I'm trying to get 230 then I likely shouldn't be trying the shot. Haha

I think I can get 215 on average from the 2h if not a little more. If I'm trying to get 230 then I likely shouldn't be trying the shot. Haha

I'll admit that I'm a shorter player. Hitting 215 is my goal from a fairway wood and 220 is about the upper limit. If I could do that with a 2H, I'd be tickled to death.

Pondering the 18* fairway. I think I need a Baffler in the bag this year.

Pondering the 18* fairway. I think I need a Baffler in the bag this year.

I like it. Not as sexy as bio cell, but they just work. Plain work. And that's what I need.

I like it. Not as sexy as bio cell, but they just work. Plain work. And that's what I need.

The ego for WITB left me a while ago. I want to go low and if the Baffler is the answer, so be it.

The ego for WITB left me a while ago. I want to go low and if the Baffler is the answer, so be it.

True that. I need to try the driver as well.

True that. I need to try the driver as well.

You may want to check out last year's Amp Cell Offset model. The 9.5/stiff model might be right up your alley.

I tend to think that the Baffler line is a little easier for the average player than the top line. If you look at some testing sites, the performance is actually a little better too (ducks).

Bought the 5W today and should have it tomorrow. Will give initial thoughts upon arrival.

These fairways are extremely nice and as marketed, are super easy to hit. I would have gone with these over the Bio Cell's for their effortless height and launch angle off the deck but I have become addicted to having the ability to adjust certain clubs and I couldn't turn away from that.

If Cobra is listening, some Baffler XL's with an adjustable hosel would be revered by the golfing world, I have no doubt about that!

Had the 3H in play again yesterday. Man oh man, what a performer this club is.

Highlight of the day with it was hole 2 where my drive left me in a FW bunker 193y out from center of green. I'm just wanting to advance it short of green but caught it pretty clean - landed just short of green and ran out to 14 feet past the flag. Barely missed the downhill birdie and settled for par which ended up winning a $20 skin on the day.

Also had a nice one on hole 6, a par 3 playing like 195 into a breeze but downhill. Towering draw left me with a 20 foot run at birdie.

Numerous tee shots on the day putting me in the FW ranging from 210-260 (260 was downwind and I caught it a hair thin and then ran out a LONG way on very dry dormant fairways).

IF these are available for the 2014 Morgan Cup - 2H - 5H is in the bag without question. I could place the order today with complete confidence - stock stiff shaft just works amazingly well for me.

Good info there. You are a tough guy to beat in match play, especially when you have some confidence. I can these helping you get you game to that next level.

I'm too happy with my current hybrids to switch, but a Baffler XL is the only FW on my ponder list.

Back