Cobra Baffler XL Fairway Woods and Hybrids Preview

Good info there. You are a tough guy to beat in match play, especially when you have some confidence. I can these helping you get you game to that next level.

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words.

The coolest thing is that I'm just as confident with a 3H as I am with a 7i.

The ability to hit the shots with these enables me to play solid course management and not force the driver, etc. As it relates to the Morgan Cup, my approach will be significantly different this year as to how I play holes...more confident with these than I was with the longer Altitudes for sure.

Had the 3H in play again yesterday. Man oh man, what a performer this club is.

Highlight of the day with it was hole 2 where my drive left me in a FW bunker 193y out from center of green. I'm just wanting to advance it short of green but caught it pretty clean - landed just short of green and ran out to 14 feet past the flag. Barely missed the downhill birdie and settled for par which ended up winning a $20 skin on the day.

Also had a nice one on hole 6, a par 3 playing like 195 into a breeze but downhill. Towering draw left me with a 20 foot run at birdie.

Numerous tee shots on the day putting me in the FW ranging from 210-260 (260 was downwind and I caught it a hair thin and then ran out a LONG way on very dry dormant fairways).

IF these are available for the 2014 Morgan Cup - 2H - 5H is in the bag without question. I could place the order today with complete confidence - stock stiff shaft just works amazingly well for me.

Having that confidence from that distance is HUGE. Glad you have found some weapons you like. I really hope people give this line a fair shot.

Played the front nine at Torrey Pines in a simulator. The 22* hybrid has become my favorite go to club now and it hits beautifully. Hit it on the screws and the ball will fly far and straight. I was behind a tree and was in 5W distance, but needed the loft so I went for the hybrid. Needless to say, it surprised me on the distance and I was set up for a short chip.

I am still having trouble with woods and it carried over to the Baffler 5W that I just got. However, there was one shot that I hit that hugged the fairway/rough line for a good 225 shot. Once I can start hitting woods on a consistent basis, I feel that this club will work wonders and become a great tool for that second shot on par 5's.

Went to the range today and used the hybrid again. This club is so easy to hit it's ridiculous and has put my old Mashie to shame. Dead straight and long, even mishits are extremely forgiving. I am seriously considering dropping my 6I for another hybrid. Even though there are no adjustablility options, for those looking for accuracy, distance, and forgiveness, but want to save some coin, go with the Baffler XL.

Snapped a few photos comparing this and the Bio Cell hybrids.

First off I'm a new member here but have been searching and reading here for a while now, I started playing golf 2 years ago this month. I've struggled with hybrids since day 1 golfing but I need hybrids for distance as I'm a short hitter with irons. I started taking lessons last fall and have greatly improved my game but my hybrid issues went from a slice to a hook thanks to a better swing. I had found G20 hybrids to be very straight for me until my swing changed and couldn't keep from hooking them but loved those hybrids. I've been to a few big box stores looking for new hybrids and no store has even suggested cobra hybrids. I ended up buying a Taylormade Jetspeed 3 hybrid because of simulator numbers and couldn't have been more disappointed on the course with it, zero consistency or control with that thing. "IF" I hit it just right yes it was long but I made 1 good shot to 10 bad ones with it. I'm in no way bashing Tmade it just wasn't for me even though store simulators showed I was hitting it better than anything I tried. Now to get to the point here, I started searching on here and found this post about the new Baffler XL line and decided to try them. I returned my Jetspeed and ask to hit the Cobra line and the salesman looked amazed that I would even ask for the Cobras. He gave me the Baffler XL and also had me hitting everything in the store other than them. I finally pulled the trigger and walked out with a 3&4 Baffler XL and headed to the driving range. My first swing with the 3 absolutely amazed me, very high and straight as could be. Hit about 50 balls switching from the 3 to 4 and couldn't be happier, no matter how I swung the ball went high and straight. I played 7 rounds with the Jetspeed hybrid and had maybe 1 good shot per round with it, now I've played one round with the Cobras and my worst miss was a thin shot from the fairway on a par 5 that still went fairly straight and was only 10-15 yards short of my target. I have a Baffler XL 3 wood on the way now and hopefully my story can help others here.

Welcome and thanks for the post todd. Love to hear when things work out like that.

Great to have you Todd! Thanks for throwing your thoughts in here. Sounds like you have a winner in the bag!

Terrific info Todd, thanks for sharing that. Now I am pondering Bafflers when I thought I had it figured out.

#Cookie - Thanks for the comparision pictures. Which way are you leaning right now?

Terrific info Todd, thanks for sharing that. Now I am pondering Bafflers when I thought I had it figured out.

#Cookie - Thanks for the comparision pictures. Which way are you leaning right now?

Probably XL as an extension of the hybrid iron set.

I was perusing Cobra' s site today and I can't really express how much I love the speed stripe on the XL. Just love it.

I was perusing Cobra' s site today and I can't really express how much I love the speed stripe on the XL. Just love it.

If you think the stripe looks good on the website wait until you see it out in the sunlight. I was so impressed with how great the color is on these things I've shown them to everyone. Plus I'm a KY Wildcats fan so blue is good :)

If you think the stripe looks good on the website wait until you see it out in the sunlight. I was so impressed with how great the color is on these things I've shown them to everyone. Plus I'm a KY Wildcats fan so blue is good :)

UCLA guy here, I understand and appreciate your KY Wildcats fandom - I'd love to see you guys in the final...although I'm guessing that won't happen.

I keep looking at the Baffler hybrid, and it looks very similar to the Bio Cell 5/7 that I just crushed this weekend. I need to hit these soon.

I received my Baffler 3 wood yesterday. I didn't have much time but hit it a few minutes on the range and played 9 holes. On the range it went pretty straight and high but I wasn't warmed up. On the course I didn't need it until hole 6 which is a long dog leg left par 5, I pushed my drive right which left me a 270 yard all uphill shot toward the green. I normally would hit 4 iron or hybrid from there just to advance the ball up the middle of the fairway and have a good chance at the green in 3 but I decided to try the 3 wood and hit it sweet, right up the middle straight and high landing at the 100 yard marker which left me a great shot into the green. So far so good :)

I received my Baffler 3 wood yesterday. I didn't have much time but hit it a few minutes on the range and played 9 holes. On the range it went pretty straight and high but I wasn't warmed up. On the course I didn't need it until hole 6 which is a long dog leg left par 5, I pushed my drive right which left me a 270 yard all uphill shot toward the green. I normally would hit 4 iron or hybrid from there just to advance the ball up the middle of the fairway and have a good chance at the green in 3 but I decided to try the 3 wood and hit it sweet, right up the middle straight and high landing at the 100 yard marker which left me a great shot into the green. So far so good :)

Good stuff. That's my goal from 270 -- to get to a 100 yard shot to the green.

Good stuff. That's my goal from 270 -- to get to a 100 yard shot to the green.

It will for sure get you there, I'm a short hitter and to carry the ball 170 all uphill was a good shot for me. The 270 I was out would take 290-300 to reach the green so I have no doubt I can get 200 yards out of the 3 wood on the flats. We play 4 man teams on the weekends counting 3 low scores and on this particular par 5 I tend to favor this same area for my drive because left is o/b so I hit from 250-270 regularly and normally have a 120-140 shot into the green so getting to the 100 is great. My biggest thing is how easily these Bafflers get the ball up with very little effort swinging. I will say on the range I didn't think the 3 wood was going to impress me since I've been playing a G25 4 wood for almost a year. The G25 4 wood is as long if not longer but I struggle to hit this shot from the fairway with it so I never use it. Hopefully the Baffler is going to change that, I'm anxious to see what happens on our 18th hole, it's a long par 4 hitting over a lake on the second shot and if I miss my drive any I'm 170-190 out across water. If I can make that shot with the Baffler I may convert to all Cobra clubs...lol.

Just a little update about the Baffler XL 3 hybrid after playing today. I started back taking lessons this past week and after a few slight grip adjustments I am amazed with the Baffler hybrids. Before lessons last week I was hitting the 3 hybrid about 180-185 and was happy with it but had no idea how much I was missing. Today on hole number 3 a long par 5 I pulled my Tee shot left into a tree and was left with 315 yards to the green hitting over a hill so I figured the hybrid would get me around 130 out "IF" I caught it good. When I hit the ball one of my teammates was beside me an said "damn you've crushed that what did you hit?'' I hit it right down the middle of the fairway and to my surprise I was only 113 yards from center of the green so that was a clean 202 yard shot off a very tight lie. I initially thought oh well lucky shot but I was wrong, 3 holes later on the next par 5 I hit a decent tee shot but it's a long dog leg left and had 268 yards all uphill to the green so I tried the 3 hybrid again an landed at 75 yards out which would've been well over a 200 yard shot on flat ground. Now at this point I'm amazed and wanting to hit this thing more but didn't get to until hole number 12 a dog leg right par 5 and my drive was good but still had 195 yards to green center, I grabbed the hybrid and pulled it just a hair left and was past the green but smiling...lol. Next on hole 17 a 200 yard par 3 over a valley I hit the hybrid again with a little draw and missed the green left just past pin high but was a great place to be if you could see this hole. Lastly on hole 18 a long par 4 where your second shot has to cross a lake to an elevated green my tee shot wasn't the best and left me 188 yards to the green which takes 200 to reach safely and I hit the hybrid one last time and was pin high on the fringe. After our round one of the guys who is a 2 handicap ask what that club was and wanted to hit it and was hitting it 230-240 every swing, he couldn't believe how great this thing is. I've made this lengthy post and I'm sure several will wonder why I'm making a big deal out of hitting a hybrid 200 yards but my point is I struggle with distance and a hybrid that I can hit 200 yards has got to be a great hybrid and more than the 200 yards is how straight it goes, I had a couple misses with it but they were great shots that I'd take every time on the course.

Bidding on a 5 wood right now and it's looking promising i'll be able to grab this for cheap. After gaming the Bio Cell driver for a couple rounds, I want to try out more Cobra products.

Has anyone hit the Baffler that has also hit the Tight Lies??

Well I snagged a slightly used 5 Wood off the Bay for $32. I'm very excited to get this in play!

That's a steal!

Hit about 25 balls with my new 5W yesterday. WOW. This club is LOUD. Very high pitched noise. Not a bad thing for me but it's the loudest club I've ever hit. Also good news is is that I can crush this thing. I've never gamed a 5W and am very excited about this one. Easy to hit and I was getting really nice carry with it. Has a bit of offset but if that's somthing that doesn't bother you go hit these woods. They are great and very good looking!

Back