Cobra Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ Driver Preview

Hmm.. Interesting. Seems the regular bio is a beast. I'd still like to try both. The carry on the + was lower but the driver was set to 9.5 with a low launch angle. So I wonder what it would be with a little loft increase ...ponder continues

+ is also going to be a lower spin and will launch lower, more loft would be needed there definitely as far as that review/thoughts are concerned.

+ is also going to be a lower spin and will launch lower, more loft would be needed there definitely as far as that review/thoughts are concerned.

It's funny, because before I asked about your thoughts I was set in stone about going all + in everything. However I'm pretty sure a lot of that has changed in my thoughts at least with driver and woods. Fingers crossed for shaft options.. Can't wait to get to a place to try all this.

It's funny, because before I asked about your thoughts I was set in stone about going all + in everything. However I'm pretty sure a lot of that has changed in my thoughts at least with driver and woods. Fingers crossed for shaft options.. Can't wait to get to a place to try all this.

I was primarily interested in the +, but after seeing the green head, and the numbers from the video, I know I could game, and be happy with, the non +. Perhaps with a shaft change?...

I was primarily interested in the +, but after seeing the green head, and the numbers from the video, I know I could game, and be happy with, the non +. Perhaps with a shaft change?...

Exactly what im hoping for..

Stock shaft held up for RF in testing, I figure it wouldn't be right to not try it. People overthink stock shafts anyways.

Stock shaft held up for RF in testing, I figure it wouldn't be right to not try it. People overthink stock shafts anyways.

Agreed. I just have a love for the red tie :) talked to a guy in FL that fits for cobra. When he gets wverything set up hes sending me an email to come try some stuff.

Exactly what im hoping for..

Have to admit, it's very likely that I'll buy the club this weekend. Will definitely give the stock shaft more of a run. With several swings, it felt fine - no warming up so my contact was all over the place. Would also have it cut-down an inch; I don't need a driver approaching 46".

Just a note, the blue and black heads in the Bio Cell also look great, but I did not care for the Orange, Red, or Silver versions.

Have to admit, it's very likely that I'll buy the club this weekend. Will definitely give the stock shaft more of a run. With several swings, it felt fine - no warming up so my contact was all over the place. Would also have it cut-down an inch; I don't need a driver approaching 46".

Just a note, the blue and black heads in the Bio Cell also look great, but I did not care for the Orange, Red, or Silver versions.

I'm thinking 44.75 will be my MC number, just the ideal length for me.

I honestly have no clue which direction I'll go with this one, will be leaning hard on my Tour Rep.

I'm thinking 44.75 will be my MC number, just the ideal length for me.

I honestly have no clue which direction I'll go with this one, will be leaning hard on my Tour Rep.

I normally prefer 44.5, but 44.75 isn't that much difference, and pretty simple to choke down a bit. Started checking on 7X3s, though it might be a bit before finding some OEM adapters for sale (guessing).

Will be interesting to see what comes out of your tour rep discussions. So many options with the Cobra lineup this year.

I normally prefer 44.5, but 44.75 isn't that much difference, and pretty simple to choke down a bit. Started checking on 7X3s, though it might be a bit before finding some OEM adapters for sale (guessing).

Will be interesting to see what comes out of your tour rep discussions. So many options with the Cobra lineup this year.

7X3 is $112 upgrade through GolfSmith.

Here is a video from our friends across the pond doing a numbers comparison of the Bio Cell & plus variant with a mid 90's CHS. http://youtu.be/LEGoNIB5xX8 Enjoy!

My SS is just a few MPH above his. He said he hit these set at 9.5*, the amp cell looked almost identical to mine at 9.5* but holy crap the dispersion was pucker tight with the bio cell. I will defiantly have to try this line out.

Looks like GolfTown is having a Cobra event tomorrow with a free Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ fitting event. Going to head over and just see how busy it is, hopefully get some swings in.

I got the chance to hit both of these yesterday finally and here are my findings. My CHS avg is 104-105 with my 45.5 inch RAZR Fit w/60g Aldia RIP shaft in S flex.

Bio Cell: This club looks great down by the ball in any of the 5 color choices but I wish they kept last years blue as I liked it better than the new blue. I started off with a 60g S Project X and while it did feel nice and stiff the balance wasn't there for me. Then I moved to the 64g XS Project X and this was worlds better. In the 9.5 setting I was hitting a baby draw flying around 260. I will say for me the shaft was a touch longer than I'm used to but the consistency was on point. The forgiveness of this head is finominal! I put some face tape on there and hit the mid toe and mid heel areas and the ball still would have been in the fairway on most courses. Distance loss on bad strikes don't get punished severely until you get to the toe or heel areas on the he lower part. I didn't hit any high on the face so I can't speak to that area. This combo was a real surprise for me in the consistancy and feel department. Next was my favorite combo which used the Matrix Red Tie shaft from the Plus varient in the regular Bio Cell head. This was by far my favorite Driver combo all day from ANY manufacturer! I used this shaft in the 9.5 setting and the ball flight was a touch lower then the XS Project Xcombo. The ball seemed to stay in the air longer with this combo even with the lower launch/ball flight. There wasn't a LM but I can't wait to see some number a from this combo to compare it to my own driver and the XS 64g combo to see what is best based on the number.

Bio Cell Plus: This head took some getting used to looks wise for me.I really wish they kept the white perimeter to the bottom only or did away with it altogether. I prefer the look of the the regular better but it is noticeably more compact than the regular Bio Cell to me. I hit this with the S 65g? Matrix Red Tie shaft and the feel of this driver is more geared to better players as when you out miss hit it it let's you know both in sound and performance. That said just like I found with the plus 3wd I hit the foregivness horzantaly across the face is really good until you get to the extremes. Center strikes are rewarded with a piercing ball flight but to low for me. The only combo that gave me a good result was the 11 degree setting with this'd shaft which really surprised me. I would like to try this head again with some different shafts but it must be extremely low spinning head. I will play around with the head more next week when there is a LM and see what the numbers look like. Distance/constancy/forgivness wise this head was a good bit behind the regular Bio Cell w/Red Tie combo but I look forward to doing more testing with the plus soon.

Looks like GolfTown is having a Cobra event tomorrow with a free Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ fitting event. Going to head over and just see how busy it is, hopefully get some swings in.

So went to the Cobra event. It was bad. All the bays were lined up with people, yet none of them there for a Cobra event, you think they would have had on bay devoted to it. The Rep was there, I talked to him for a bit (know him from work) and he was less than impressed with how they had it set up. He also didn't have any +'s with him. I didn't feel like waiting around for a bay, but the Rep said that once our range opens at work he'll bring over the the new fitting cart and trackman to get something dialed in.

So went to the Cobra event. It was bad. All the bays were lined up with people, yet none of them there for a Cobra event, you think they would have had on bay devoted to it. The Rep was there, I talked to him for a bit (know him from work) and he was less than impressed with how they had it set up. He also didn't have any +'s with him. I didn't feel like waiting around for a bay, but the Rep said that once our range opens at work he'll bring over the the new fitting cart and trackman to get something dialed in.

I went threw a similar experience at my local golfsmith about 2 weekends ago excerpt in my case the rep also failed to show up

I hit both of the Cobras a second time and for me the Bio Cell won out. REALLY forgiving and long in the stock stiff shaft. Feel at impact is very pleasing. I want one, but am going to have a tough time picking a color. I hit several clubs today. The only driver that was longer and almost as forgiving as the Bio Cell was the Bertha. But at $100 cheaper the Cobra is a great driver.

I went threw a similar experience at my local golfsmith about 2 weekends ago excerpt in my case the rep also failed to show up

Knowing the Cobra rep, I knew he would be there. Just really disappointed in the shop and how they had it set up. Looking forward to Spring now to get some numbers from these.

That's disappointing sounds like GolfTown is consistent across the country.

From the review and talks with jman pretty sure i want me a regular bio with a red tie... I like the looks of the plus better but the looks are going to help me find fairways.

That's disappointing sounds like GolfTown is consistent across the country.

Golf town/Golfsmith is is the most poorly conceived and executed golf company in North America. They just do everything wrong and have forgotten why they are there. I'd kill to run into a staff member who was actually passionate about golf.

Back on topic: The Bio Cell is awesome, and IMO the Bio Cell+ is a miss in the looks department. I thought I would like it better in person but nope. I realise they are trying to emphasise the venollum tech in the crown but ugly is ugly.

I hit my r1 beautifully and will treasure her always. However I'm liking the distance and forgiveness info from all the people hitting the bio. I wondered what the red tie would be like in it , and you gave good reviews. Want to hit it!

The + is clearly hit or miss in the looks for people. Me? I freaking adore it.

The + is clearly hit or miss in the looks for people. Me? I freaking adore it.

As do I. The spin properties of the + appeal to me but at what sacrifice of forgiveness?

This will have to be a LM decision with the numbers.

As do I. The spin properties of the + appeal to me but at what sacrifice of forgiveness?

This will have to be a LM decision with the numbers.

From what I was educated about, not much.

I like it too. A lot. Just seems with the lower launch and fade bias that the regular is winning for what will be in the back for now..can't wait till they become more available so I can it them both

Back