Offset, important or trivial in irons?

My own preference during the last couple of years has been less offset.

0.10 is what I have in my current sets and I'm happy with it.

How much weight do you put on the offset while buying irons?

What does offset do for you? Does a a lot of offset help you, or distract you?

For me too much offset makes it difficult it address the ball and I feel that something isn't right. Make me twist my hands, my body and the club all sorts of ways. Usually ending up with a huge hook.

What do you have to say about offset?

I will openly admit that I have a problem mentally looking down at an offset iron, I have always been open in that regard, its just an eye thing. That said, I have gotten over it a lot, I also understand that contrary to what some want to believe the SCIENCE behind offset is accurate and real in that it will help many golfers do what they struggle most with, get the ball in there air and ALSO that it DOES NOT CAUSE HOOKS!!! Users setting up incorrectly cause hooks with offset irons, that is just a fact (and again I openly admit to being one of those people but I still know its me and NOT the iron).

Offset does not bother me. If an iron has it, thats fine. If it doesnt, thats fine as well.

It just so happens that the set I gamed for the majority of 2013 had significant offset in them, being the 588 MT and TT set. I hit them quite well, and was able to lower my index significantly with them in the bag, but I guess I just needed the extra help because I am not as good of a golfer as I wish I was.

Beags is wise. I'm trying to get to where you are with it, if its there, great, if it isn't great. I love that.

Offset, important or trivial in irons?

But I still know its me and NOT the iron.

I do agree, it's definitely the player, and I am just another player, like you, for whom the offset is a factor that affects my stance, grip, posture and swing and the result is sometimes a hook.

I'm not sure what sets you are referring to but almost all GI and SGI sets have more offset in the lower lofts. There are very few consistent offset sets (Golfworks makes some nice ones).

You are correct as the specs say so and I do believe them. It was a set of CG16's and from the bottom of the club. I had them lined up on a couch to take photos to try and sell them and that's when I noticed it. It may have something to do with what type of sole the club has. One other thing, now that I think about it is I have had trouble the last few years finding a 4-iron I could hit primarily from the tee. It seems to me the more SGI and GI ones I had trouble making solid contact, my miss was toward the heel. My theory on this is if there wasn't as much heel I wouldn't have missed it there. These are just some thoughts from past experience. I would show you what I'm talking about, but I have always had trouble with photos loading on THP.

My issues are totally performance related. I really don't care what a club looks like, while I have my preferences I have never played a club for looks.

I'm looking to get a set of clubs with a less offset this year. I will probably use the same shafts (DG S300's) and over-all length (+1/2 to 3/4"). I just feel like I have to hold off my release to keep from hooking the ball and it was suggested that I try less offset. Maybe that's not the case, I guess I'll find out. Definitely won't be getting rid of my offset clubs though.

Just as an aside about your 4 irons, if you are having contact towards the heel consistently then I would be looking at shortening it and/or flattening the lie angle. The lengths of the current 4 irons is crazy - I play my 7 iron at +1/2" but my 4 iron is actually 1/4 to 1/2 short of many OEMs now.

You are correct as the specs say so and I do believe them. It was a set of CG16's and from the bottom of the club. I had them lined up on a couch to take photos to try and sell them and that's when I noticed it. It may have something to do with what type of sole the club has. One other thing, now that I think about it is I have had trouble the last few years finding a 4-iron I could hit primarily from the tee. It seems to me the more SGI and GI ones I had trouble making solid contact, my miss was toward the heel. My theory on this is if there wasn't as much heel I wouldn't have missed it there. These are just some thoughts from past experience. I would show you what I'm talking about, but I have always had trouble with photos loading on THP.

My issues are totally performance related. I really don't care what a club looks like, while I have my preferences I have never played a club for looks.

I feel like the more offset tjere is the more I'm prone to hook it... could be just mental but I feel more comfortable with less offset when I look down

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just as an aside about your 4 irons, if you are having contact towards the heel consistently then I would be looking at shortening it and/or flattening the lie angle. The lengths of the current 4 irons is crazy - I play my 7 iron at +1/2" but my 4 iron is actually 1/4 to 1/2 short of many OEMs now.

I should do that. I only want it for a tee club. I should try a flatter lie as well as my miss is a hook. I have always preferred shorter (shafted) heavier clubs and basically had this confirmed when I went to a fitter in 2008. My smash factor went up and distance was better as well. I have reverted back to other clubs, it just seems difficult to find my preference in clubs. It's easy to shorten a club, but more difficult to add weight.

Offset does not bother me. If an iron has it, thats fine. If it doesn't, thats fine as well.

I'm the same as War Eagle. I've hit things well with little offset and hit things well with lots of offset.

I will say that I am a little different than the majority. I think on the longer shafted clubs like hybrids or fairways, I prefer less offset. Down in the lower irons and wedges, I'm a little more comfortable with it. That's also probably partly due to the fact that there's less offset there in a progressive set.

So, maybe as I think about it, I prefer less offset. Too little though and I get into a players type club which I really struggle with.

Back