Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok putter experts gotta question. Explain the difference between say an Odyssey 1 and 9. I've always played a 1 style putter except for my horrible mallet experience. Loving the look of the 9 though and was curious if someone can tell me the differences. I plan in rolling several heads at my local demo day coming up next month.

#9 has "full toe hang", meaning if you sit it on a ledge the toe will point straight down while the #1 will typically be more of a 1/2 to 3/4 toe hang.

Essentially, many go with the belief that more toe hang favors a more arc'd stroke while less favors a less arc'd stroke. I don't think that it is as pertinent as some out there do but it does undoubtedly play a role in the ability to allow the putter head to do its job and release naturally through the putting stroke.

Simplest answer for you personally is just what you are going to do, roll many, go with what you feel is the best balance and consistency for your particular stroke.

Last edited:
That's the plan. I have a pretty decent arc to my putting stroke

That's the plan. I have a pretty decent arc to my putting stroke

Good luck and enjoy it. Everyone has arc, just some more than others, I'm a tweener on the scale myself.

Jman nailed it. Like normal.

It might just be in my head but I have noticed if I use a slightly arced stroke I get much better results, and it feels more natural to me, than if I use more of a SBST stroke. The SBST stroke will usually end up left of target while the arced stroke usually is dead on line. But try some out and see what fits you best.

Jman nailed it. Like normal.

It might just be in my head but I have noticed if I use a slightly arced stroke I get much better results, and it feels more natural to me, than if I use more of a SBST stroke. The SBST stroke will usually end up left of target while the arced stroke usually is dead on line. But try some out and see what fits you best.

Same here. I tried sbst with the mallet and was horrible

Essentially, many go with the belief that more toe hang favors a more arc'd stroke while less favors a less arc'd stroke. I don't think that it is as pertinent as some out there do but it does undoubtedly play a role in the ability to allow the putter head to do its job and release naturally through the putting stroke.

Based on prior posts Jman and I seem to have differing opinions on fitting putters but I am with JMan here. IMO Toe hang is just a byproduct of a properly fit putter. There are many factors that can influence toe hang to include where the putters COG is located and where the shaft intersects the head. People who pick putters strictly based on toe hang don't always get the right putter for their stroke. Offset has a big influence on rotation as well.

From what I have learned about putting, the most important aspect of a putter is your ability to roll it on your intended line with any stroke length. if you cannot do that, it is the wrong putter for you. When comparing the putters, put something like a dime about 16" in front of a ball. Don't putt at a hole, but make strokes of different lengths and see if you can hit the center of the dime. More offset will generally move the ball more to the left and less offset will move the ball more to the right when comparing putters that have the shaft intersect the putter head at the same point.

I wouldn't worry about toe hang. A proper putting stroke doesn't care about toe hang. If that toe hang feels funny (not haha funny, but uh oh funny), then that putter isn't right for you.

I wouldn't worry about toe hang. A proper putting stroke doesn't care about toe hang. If that toe hang feels funny (not haha funny, but uh oh funny), then that putter isn't right for you.

While I do think many over-analyze it, I do think that it does matter to the stroke, or else we wouldn't see so many varying degrees of toe hang. Look at SeeMore, the toe hang varies widely, some CS are face balanced, others are 1/4, then there are the putters with the shaft rear of center creating 1/2 to 3/4 hang. Its overthought, but it does play a role still.

Same here. I tried sbst with the mallet and was horrible

In truth, there is no such thing as SBST, all putting strokes have some degree of arc, maybe not a ton, but it IS there. In order to put a putter on a true straight back straight through path you would be a physiological anomaly.

(Or perhaps look like Michele Wie, hahahahaha)

I'm not a big fan of a lot of toe hang. I played a Scott Cameron for 1 season with a similar shape to the #9 and have found much better results after switching. There is definitely a different feeling due to the added weight in the toe to me. Can't argue with the looks though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In truth, there is no such thing as SBST, all putting strokes have some degree of arc, maybe not a ton, but it IS there. In order to put a putter on a true straight back straight through path you would be a physiological anomaly.

(Or perhaps look like Michele Wie, hahahahaha)

I know this but I guess I more meant of the mentality of SBST. I know you physically can't get a true SBST.

While I do think many over-analyze it, I do think that it does matter to the stroke, or else we wouldn't see so many varying degrees of toe hang. Look at SeeMore, the toe hang varies widely, some CS are face balanced, others are 1/4, then there are the putters with the shaft rear of center creating 1/2 to 3/4 hang. Its overthought, but it does play a role still.

Maybe for me, it doesn't matter as much as it gets thought about.

#9 has "full toe hang", meaning if you sit it on a ledge the tow will point straight down while the #1 will typically be more of a 1/2 to 3/4 toe hang. Essentially, many go with the belief that more toe hang favors a more arc'd stroke while less favors a less arc'd stroke. I don't think that it is as pertinent as some out there do but it does undoubtedly play a role in the ability to allow the putter head to do its job and release naturally through the putting stroke.

Simplest answer for you personally is just what you are going to do, roll many, go with what you feel is the best balance and consistency for your particular stroke.

So would a face balanced putter have it's face pointed at the celling?

Back