On-Course Behaviors That Drive You Crazy

I kind of like the club throwing guy. Not when he's in my group, but i've had a couple of good laughs at guys in other groups tossing a perfectly good club into the woods or the water because of one shot. It's juvenile and ridiculous, but it does make me feel better about myself :D

there is that guys that cant break 100 but gets frustrated when he doenst play like Tiger.

I guess I'm new to this game and play with a select group of guys who are pretty laid back but ... is club throwing really as prevalent as it sounds? Even on my worst days I don't think I've so much as flipped or dropped a club out of my hands. I can't imagine chucking one.
No. Not a ton of people throw clubs. Most people can control themselves.

Another one I dealt with this week was.....Super slow player who thought he was Tiger. made the round so slow.

Mine all come from the same guy:

1: 5 full practice swings before every shot

2: Screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs when a shot goes bad. Look, I've got the foulest mouth on the planet, but there's other people around that you don't know and they're trying to enjoy playing golf.

The combination of these two makes me not want to join the group when he's there lately.

Who was this?? Does it start with a G?

the guy who is waiting for the green to clear from 270 out
and his drive has travelled 230

I'm sure he was just laying up to his ideal approach distance.

I kind of like the club throwing guy. Not when he's in my group, but i've had a couple of good laughs at guys in other groups tossing a perfectly good club into the woods or the water because of one shot. It's juvenile and ridiculous, but it does make me feel better about myself :D

I hate to but have to admit. While I don't advocate for it at all, it at times can be hilarious. I think it also depends just how one goes about doing it. Some can get angry and do something stupid like this yet also manage to keep anyone from feeling uncomfortable at the same time.

One time this past summer (as a single) paired up with a 3some. Real good guys and it was fun. One of them (and he was the most harmless type of character of the group which is probably why it was even funnier) got real angry and (on the other side of a wide fairway) he ran up full speed and screaming for like 20 yards and flung his club with a big giant grunt. We (the other 3 guys) all hit the floor rolling in laughter and actually so did he eventually also. I could even laugh about it now. Just slapstick comedy at its best. You just couldn't help but laugh too hard. Sorry and I know it should not be advocated for at all but just telling the truth about this one instance and the way it happened.

I hate to but have to admit. While I don't advocate for it at all, it at times can be hilarious. I think it also depends just how one goes about doing it. Some can get angry and do something stupid like this yet also manage to keep anyone from feeling uncomfortable at the same time.

One time this past summer (as a single) paired up with a 3some. Real good guys and it was fun. One of them (and he was the most harmless type of character of the group which is probably why it was even funnier) got real angry and (on the other side of a wide fairway) he ran up full speed and screaming for like 20 yards and flung his club with a big giant grunt. We (the other 3 guys) all hit the floor rolling in laughter and actually so did he eventually also. I could even laugh about it now. Just slapstick comedy at its best. You just couldn't help but laugh too hard. Sorry and I know it should not be advocated for at all but just telling the truth about this one instance and the way it happened.

hahaha. it's so dumb and so funny at the same time. I definitely am not advocating the behavior, but nothing will snap me out of some self-doubt and frustration faster than seeing someone else completely lose it. When I get upset about my play I tend to withdraw and get quiet and try to let the frustration pass. I was actually in the middle of doing that during a round with some of the DFW THP group on new year's day, when we looked over and saw this very well-dressed lawyer type lining up his putt on the green nearby (we were waiting to tee on a different hole about 100 yds away). His group was all looking composed and quiet while he putted. He missed about a 10 footer then just nonchalantly turned and hucked what looked like an expensive putter straight into the woods, then slowly walked back to his cart.

I was not happy with the way my round was going, but I realized that I was still having a /lot/ more fun than this now putter-less dude. I don't remember what my score was (it was bad) but I know I didn't get frustrated again during that round :D

the guy who is waiting for the green to clear from 270 out
and his drive has travelled 230

"Oh, I can definitely reach the green from here." You sure can...if it was a downhill, asphalt-covered fairway with a 60 MPH tailwind!

My only real pet peeve is guys that hit up into you. There is no reason for that. Extremely rarely are courses around here wide open when someone is holding up pace of play. Everything is always over crowded so you just kind of deal with it. No reason to hit the ball at people.

hahaha. it's so dumb and so funny at the same time. I definitely am not advocating the behavior, but nothing will snap me out of some self-doubt and frustration faster than seeing someone else completely lose it. When I get upset about my play I tend to withdraw and get quiet and try to let the frustration pass. I was actually in the middle of doing that during a round with some of the DFW THP group on new year's day, when we looked over and saw this very well-dressed lawyer type lining up his putt on the green nearby (we were waiting to tee on a different hole about 100 yds away). His group was all looking composed and quiet while he putted. He missed about a 10 footer then just nonchalantly turned and hucked what looked like an expensive putter straight into the woods, then slowly walked back to his cart.

I was not happy with the way my round was going, but I realized that I was still having a /lot/ more fun than this now putter-less dude. I don't remember what my score was (it was bad) but I know I didn't get frustrated again during that round :D

Hahaha! Sooo very true. These is a guy at my club that is probably one of the most friendly helpful people at the club, until he gets on the course...then its meltdown city!

My league partner couldnt make it so i asked him if he felt like playing. Biggest mistake ever! On hole 4 he pulled his tee shot and chucked his hybrid directly at our carts and hit one of our playing partners (a father daughter pair). He says sorry then proceeds to drive off, then out of nowhere slams on the brakes and screeches the tires as the young lady is on the lady tee at address. I've never been so embarassed and I've never played with him again AND! That experience made me never ever do anything more than blurt a few curses and maybe thud a club into the ground. Definitely opened my perspective.

Is it bad form to retrieve a thrown club and put it in your bag?

"I'm sorry, I figured since you tossed it (at/in) (me/the woods/the water/the next fairway), you didn't want it anymore, and its a good club."

My only real pet peeve is guys that hit up into you. There is no reason for that. Extremely rarely are courses around here wide open when someone is holding up pace of play. Everything is always over crowded so you just kind of deal with it. No reason to hit the ball at people.

Agreed Dev. That is just flat out annoying.

People who wear jeans. I don't care if it's a dirt track, you wear nice shorts or slacks and a polo.

People who wear jeans. I don't care if it's a dirt track, you wear nice shorts or slacks and a polo.

I think jeans are the normal uniform at my home course....... I can't play in them, but have a couple guys I play in a group with that will wear them when it's cold. As long as they're not dirty and nasty looking, I guess. Like I said, not for me at all.

There's a guy that plays everyday in a pair of jeans and what appears to be the same grey T-Shirt out there also. I would rather see jeans than a T-Shirt, I guess, although I don't consider either proper golf attire.

that video posted was great..

I can deal with most things save the freakout / angry guy. I'm out there to have fun, score where I can, and enjoy myself. We all suck at this game. Stop it.

On another note, one that hasn't been mentioned is never knows where his ball goes guy. That would be me, btw. I mentioned it to my eye doctor and she said, "play with people who are patient. your ability to refocus quickly is impaired." I'm always afraid I'm driving people nuts because it is frequently hard for me to see where the ball goes off the tee...and i'm only 43. argh.

I feel for you. I will lose my ball flight in certain afternoon light so I can imagine if it's chronic it must be hell. This game is so much about vision and visualization. I have poor spatial perception so I am most vulnerable off the tee when I can't get a sense of depth, yet on the green it is just the opposite and my game reflects it.
S

I have the same problem. When the sky is a certain color I have trouble picking up my drives. It's annoying.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Is it bad form to retrieve a thrown club and put it in your bag?

"I'm sorry, I figured since you tossed it (at/in) (me/the woods/the water/the next fairway), you didn't want it anymore, and its a good club."

This sounds reasonable, can't waste a good club, can we? Should be in the rules - we should petition. :blob:

I get annoyed at people who talk after I've addressed the ball. I tell them not to politely, but if they keep doing it I get really annoyed and tend to be less polite. Guys who hit into you are also huge piss offs. I don't care if I'm chipping from 15 yards left of the green, if you can reach me you shouldn't even be thinking of hitting.

This one doesn't bother me. If it's not against the dress code. people can dress however they want.

I won't dress down, but I'm more worried about how people act and how they treat the course than how they are dressed.

Sunflower seeds. On or around the green. There is a guy at my home course who is notorious for this. Now I just need to find out who he is so I can stick one up his nose.

People who use their putterhead to get the ball out of the hole.

People who use their putterhead to get the ball out of the hole.

I never did this myself, but have played with guys that have and never really thought about the damage it could do to the edge of the cup until another guy I play with called someone out about it.

One our regular playing partners who has a host of issues with golf etiquette had this problem for a season, it was so embarrassing as we tell him not to hit then he does and it lands next to the group in front of us.

Then one season he was Speedy Gonzales on the course in fact one time we had a 3some and he was solo in a cart, well my playing partner was really struggling on a hole and we look down the fairway and solo guy was missing we get to the green and he is sitting at the next time tee box I got red in the face looked at him and yelled keep going if you can’t wait for us we don’t need to play with you, needless to say that never happened again.

This guys also Mr. talking in your back swing and rattling his clubs when you are hitting, wow why do I keep playing with this person? I know why, he hounds us like it’s the end of days if he knows we have golf planned or its nice enough to golf and has not heard from us… LOL

Last edited:
The angry guy and the too serious guy are the ones that bother me, also pouting like a little child bothers me. Yes, also people who don't yell FORE or hit into you.

There are three simple "rules" which I believe every golfer should play by, no matter if it's a $20 course or a $400 course.

1. Respect your playing partners
2. Respect the course
3. Respect yourself

If there is any behaviour deemed to be disrespectful in any manner, then it's not acceptable in my books. It seems pretty simple to follow these rules for the 2-5 hours you are out there.

Back